Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Raising slideout

I have a 2009 Adventurer that has had a laminate floor installed. The large slide with the couch and dinette has started scratching the floor. Can the slide be raised to clear the floor to prevent rubbing?
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHAFER View Post
I have a 2009 Adventurer that has had a laminate floor installed. The large slide with the couch and dinette has started scratching the floor. Can the slide be raised to clear the floor to prevent rubbing?
I'm sure not. When I installed my new floor I had to replace the skids that were scratching the floor as they were made of hard nylon, which works fine on carpet only. I replaced the nylon skids with wood blocks covered in carpet.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

These will do the job

Slideout Slickers
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Slideout slickers will not work on laminate floors. I bought them and removed all the little prongs but all they did was slide across the floor in front of the slide. They are made for carpet floors, not laminate.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

They work on tile, but I guess the tile has more friction. Maybe LEHAFER didn't get them far enough under the slide to stay in place. If you stand on them they should work.

Here is another link Floor Protection
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Regarding slideout slickers. Perhaps John Hilley is correct but I couldn't get the slickers under the glide strip without raising the edge of the slide and they still just slid across the floor. When I tried steping on the end while brining in the slide the slickers bowed to the point I thought they would snap in half. I think my problem is raising the slide high enough to get something started under the glide strip like a thin piece of carpet that will slide across the floor under the front edge of the slide.
Thanks for all the input, everything helps.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've struggled with this issue for some time now and the conclusion I've come to is.... "maybe" you can improve the situation a bit by adjusting the slide.

Keep in mind, that if you have an HWH flat floor slide, the design requires that the coach floor support half the weight of the slide when retracted. That means that you can't adjust you slide to ride up off the floor. But, there is an adjustment to raise the slide vertically and it "might" improve the scratching a bit.

Here's the instructions Winnie Tech Support sent me. I haven't yet tried it on my rig.

Good luck.

Rick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Slideout Room Adjustment Guide.pdf (2.65 MB, 1005 views)

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There are several slide systems. The ones using skids put half the weight of the slide on the skids, this is 100's of pounds per sq in. Those slickers will work with these, the problem is too much down force for the skids to climb them. I was going to use them, but that would require keeping a crowbar and a block of wood to lift the slide and put them under the skids each time. I wanted a better solution so went with my homemade much larger skids with carpet on them. After 6 months of many uses, they still work great.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
There are several slide systems. The ones using skids put half the weight of the slide on the skids, this is 100's of pounds per sq in. Those slickers will work with these, the problem is too much down force for the skids to climb them. I was going to use them, but that would require keeping a crowbar and a block of wood to lift the slide and put them under the skids each time. I wanted a better solution so went with my homemade much larger skids with carpet on them. After 6 months of many uses, they still work great.
Did you replace the skids yourself? Was it a major project to get at them?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

If you have the flat-floor slide, that system is designed to have much of the slide weight on the coach floor when the slide is in. You cannot adjust it so it will not contact the floor. As noted, if the coach came with carpet, the runners on the underside of the slide are metal. If the coach comes from the factory with a hard floor, the runners have a thin carpet strip on them.

We plan to have our carpet replaced with a vinyl plank floor. The shop tells me they will partially extend the slide, tilt it out at the top, remove the metal runners and cover them with carpet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Did you replace the skids yourself? Was it a major project to get at them?

Rick
No it wasn't Rick. Under my dinette, the skids were on metal "L" brackets. Just removed a few screws and they were gone. Under the couch they were screwed in from the bottom. With those I just took a chisel and popped them off. All of this was done after jacking the slide up using blocks of wood and a crowbar, then placing enough wood pieces along the face of the slide to raise all the skids 1/2" off the floor. This also made it easy to get the flooring under the slide.

Then I cut up six 3x8" pieces of wood to replace the skids and glued carpet to the bottom. Then put glue (gorilla) on the top of them and set in place. Then just started lowering the slide on top of them and let sit .for 24hrs.

Previously I tried to glue felt to the bottom of the skids, worked about 1 time. Just too much pressure on the skids. Tried again using carpet, same thing. That's when I decided to make my own with way more surface area to reduce the PSI, plus the wood and larger area allowed the carpet stay attached. Glue just doesn't work well on hard slick nylon.

Once I figured the right plan, it maybe took 90 mins to complete.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for the replies to my question. I raised the slide and then went the other way and lowered the slide. The measurement from the floor to the bottom of the slideroom floor stayed exactly the same no matter what I did with the adjusting lugs. After reading all the posts I'm convinced that I cannot raise the slide to clear the floor but must replace the "shoes" with carpeted shoes. That will be my next project for spring when it's warmer. Again, thanks for all the help and advice. LEHAFER

Tags
slideout