Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Radiator Bug Screen

We just took our first trip in our new Itasca Sunstar 30T & came home with a fair amount of love bugs on the front, including a few that made it through to the radiator.

I can clean them off the front, but it is pretty tough getting them out of the radiator. What do others do? Is there a good bug screen available?

Thanks,
Cass
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Whatever you use, don't restrict airflow to much, could cause A/C, engine cooling problems in hot climates!
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I installed regular household aluminum screening material in front of the radiator and behind the grill,make sure you use enough to cover all radiators,coolers,etc. I folded the screen double on the edges,and used plastic wire-ties to secure the material.....12,000 miles and it's still working great!
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have used a patio sunscreen fabric that was available at Home Depot. During "Bug" season I would zip tye a piece on the front grill of my motorhome in front of the radiator and it would keep out most of the bugs. As long as you get the fabric that has large holes in it, you shouldn't have a problem with running to hot.

Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I can assure you I noticed NO change at all in operating temp's,and this included running back to the East Coast from California at speeds that would "curl your hair"!!!....Seriously,I used normal aluminum household screening material and covered ALL radiators,condensor's and coolers behind the grill,and then I covered the grill itself on the inside...at NO time did my temp's rise above normal,I can see NO appreciable reduction of cooling at all....just my .02 cents! Happy Trails!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrx1 View Post
I can assure you I noticed NO change at all in operating temp's,and this included running back to the East Coast from California at speeds that would "curl your hair"!!!....Seriously,I used normal aluminum household screening material and covered ALL radiators,condensor's and coolers behind the grill,and then I covered the grill itself on the inside...at NO time did my temp's rise above normal,I can see NO appreciable reduction of cooling at all....just my .02 cents! Happy Trails!
Do I understand you correctly that you actually wrapped screening around the radiator & coolers?

Wouldn't putting it over (or on the inside of) the grill be sufficient?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

No, I did NOT wrap the entire radiator, I just draped it in front of the radiator...making sure it was long enough to cover power steering cooler and any other coolers/condensors,then secured with plastic wire ties!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

tomrx1,
I doubt that you experienced love bugs like they get in Florida. The damned things form thick clouds over the highways. Yes screens stop them from getting into your radiator, but you need to stop and clean the screens periodically.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
tomrx1,
I doubt that you experienced love bugs like they get in Florida. The damned things form thick clouds over the highways. Yes screens stop them from getting into your radiator, but you need to stop and clean the screens periodically.
Yes, being in FL, its the love bugs I am most concerned about.

I have combined Tom's idea with those of several others & 1/2" opening wire screen covered on the front with black plastic screen & held together with plastic cable ties. I made it big enough to cover all the coolers but small enough to insert from the top with the hood opened so it can easily be pulled out & washed off as the bugs accumulate. I probably will have a good test for it next week with a trip we have planned in central FL where the love bugs may be out in force this time of year.

Thanks to all for the ideas.

Cass
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If I went to FL, I would avoid April-May and August-September, the prime love bug seasons.
Lived in southeast GA when they first arrived in the US. Worked part time in a gas station, mostly cleaning windshields during the LB season. Yuck!!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Love Bugs! We try not to go anywhere when the are out, but usually end up getting into them.
Shortly after we got our motor home I found this place: Welcome to the Bug Screen Man, Fabrication of bugscreens and covers for fenders, tanks, and others.

I carefully measured the grill opening on the front of our motor home and sent him a couple of photo's along with the measurements. We now have a snap on screen that we can put over the grill to keep out those loving critters. It has worked very well and we have had no problem with the radiator temp. going up.

Tags
radiator