Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Question Front cap clearcoat fix

For those of you who've been bitten by the flaking clearcoat on the front cap, wondered how extensive it was to be fixed. Taking the beast to a paint shop next month, wondering if experience shows it's a fairly simply sand/recoat or if more extensive work is needed. Just wondering what to expect.

Really disappointed on Winnebago quality on this... and won't go into the rusting windshield bracket, glued engine covers, or flaking black paint around the bays. Sigh.

Thanks for any info.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

This is what I'm talking about fixing... attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	17707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0079.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	17708  

Old 02-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Clearcoat

Ed, many posts available on this and other RV forums concerning clearcoat. I recently had my '04 Meridian touched up, since it sits uncovered when we are home. The Arizona sun is not kind to the black areas, especially the west side! But, don't be too critical of Winnebago - they re-did my roof radii two years after I purchased it new.

Now, $2000 later, a local paint shop did a bit more extensive paint. But, he told me that he applied 3 coats of clearcoat, and said it would last as long as I have the coach. I intend to keer 'er for a long time!!
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ed,
I'll be interested in hearing replies to your question as well. Initially I was pleased with my Horizon but more and more quality issues are surfacing that should not be occuring and has me questing another purchase of a Winnebago product.

Big ticket items for me are rusting windshield frame, detaching body panels, rusting storage compartment door frames (despite being undercoated) and clearcoat problems on the roof side radius and front and rear caps.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

no unusual. That whole area will need to be sanded and resprayed.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Red, I don't think I was being too criticial of Winnebago. I was just stating the issue(s) and asking for others experiences in getting it resovled.

Having said that, I don't think being disappointed in Winne quality is too far out of line. Three of the things I mentioned are basic paint and rustproofing issues. I'm very forgiving on issues with slides, electrical etc as these are complicated systems. However, paint isn't rocket science... been doing it on vehicles a long time. Imagine if Ford or Chevy cars were flaking like this after 6 or 7 years... it would be all over the news, recalls, screaming.

Sometimes I think we RV owners are just a wee bit too accepting that defects are par for the course on something that costs more than many houses. Just my opinion...

Anyways, I'll research more threads as you suggested but was just looking for some input on what to expect from the paint shop. I do like your suggestion of getting several coats when I get this repaired.

WeatherTodd... thanks. Good to know.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Clearcoat problems

I'll be watching this thread. I also have problems on the front area and have wondered how long I can put off doing something about it. Funds are limited for cosmetic repairs. Fortunately, our 2008 Tour has been a very good home, but like any home we have owned, it needs constant attention. Nothing major but just general upkeep and maintenance, which I do myself. (Mostly)
Good luck and if you find a post that addresses this issue, please share it.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Ed,
If that's all you got in terms of body issues, then you're lucky. Like many other said, some sanding, correct prep and, some re coat of clear. Maybe even a few coats to help prevent it from re-occurring while you own the coach. The rust around the bay doors is also not too bad to cope with. I'm doing mine a little at a time. I've already done my oil pan and other parts. It is too bad that we do pay that much for these big beasts and they don't seem to last in prime condition as we'd expect.

As for your comment on Fords and Chevy's not doing the same thing, they do. While not so much as many foreign makes but, I've seen many, many do it. All one has to do is drive into any parking lot in the U.S. and look around. Anyway, hope you get this situation taken care of . I've got just a tiny bit of it at the very top, along with some very tiny "crazing" of the fiberglass. I'll have to keep on it.
Scott.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I repainted ours last summer. After a couple of quotes I just decided to do it myself. Took the cover off of the fridge vent, took it down to a local auto supply that mixes paint and they computer matched the color. Two rattle cans later along with a can of clear and wella. I probably used less then 1/2 a can of paint and maybe the same amount of clear. Did a little wet sanding after it dried good, a little rubbing compound and a caot of wax and it turned out real good. This is the second time the cap has been painted. The first time was back in 06 when the original owner had it and it was repainted then by the factory. I guess if this doesn't last I'll look into some kind of wrap for the front cap.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Awile back I had a clear coat melt down and the company that was doing Winnebagoes paint offered to re-coat it if I went to Forest City, as a "Goodwill" gesture. At the time I was unable to make the trip. I think the fuel for the 2000 mile trip made it an expensive proposition. For the life of me I cannot find the name of the company nor the contact person. I too fall into the category of being an unhappy owner, my third product, but would buy again because of WIT.

Don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Many automobiles here in the Valley of The Sun exhibit the same clearcoat flaking, peeling problems - especially those of a dark color. The paint experts tell me that it is the intense heat exposure, and I note that it is usually concentrated on the hood of the vehicle.

I bought my Meridian in October '03, the roof radius on both sides was repainted by CDI in Forest City in July '06. Now, I have had more areas repainted. Wish I had not purchased a motorhome with dark colors. Of a total 4 colors on the coach, only the black color exhibited the peeling clearcoat.

RedT in Glendale, AZ
'04 Meridian
'03 Jeep Liberty
M&G Brake Sys
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote