Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Proud To Be....

We have traded in our 2008 Fleetwood Bounder 35H for a new 2012 Winnebago Journey 36M.

Realizing that we would be happier with the power of a diesel engine, and the upgrade over our Bounder made this an easy decision for us.

Are there any intricacies that I should be aware of in my first endeavor into the diesel pusher world? Things like driving, simple maintenance items, or whatever?

Any and all responses are deeply grateful,

Klell and Tana
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Congrats. Sorry to lose a fellow Bounder owner but wish you well over here on the Winnebago Forum.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Cliff,She did us well, and I can't say very many bad things about her. She was our first love, and was hard to let go, but we got a heckuva deal, and wanted the diesel.

Klell
Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You will love it we have had ours since 11/11 of last year and have 6,000 miles on it. We love it and only have had minor problems. My first diesel so I read all the stuff in the owners bag several times.

The following comes from Cummins presentation at FMCA
Reduce vehicle speed … #1 factor affecting MPG is speed … „Rule of Thumb‟ 1 mpg per 10 mph above 55
http://cumminsengines.com/assets/pdf/MPG_Secrets_Whitepaper.pdf

Questions PM me I am retired so lots of time to answer you

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Congrats on the new rig!

I think the biggest thing I had to get used to when I got my DP was that I no longer had to keep the rpm high to have power. A lifetime of operating gas engines had ingrained in me that I shouldn't let an engine "lug" but this really isn't true with a diesel.

Your Allison and Cummins work together to make a pretty smart team so until you develop enough experience to do otherwise, just let them decide on the gear to use and don't freak out when you don't hear your engine screaming at high revs when you climb hills.

Enjoy it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations Kleel & Tana!

We're sure you'll be happy with your Winnebago! We've had ours for almost a year now and have about 6,000 happy miles. I believe anything you could get will have issues, but Winnebago makes a great product. Fuel mileage will be an issue, but as Rream stated, keep a modest speed and you can see a "decent" mpg.

Keep the manuals handy...I've read mine over and over and still have to consult them on most everything. Obviously, there are lots of helpful folks here, at Winnebago, Freightliner & Cummings.

Congratulations again and the best of luck to you folks!
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Heading out in a few minutes to pick up the new "Winnie". I'll post pictures, on the New Rig forum later.
Thanks to those of you who sent responses, and taking time out of your day to do so.

Anyone else with some tips and hints, please feel free to leave them here.

Klell & Tana
Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Congrats on the new DP,
I'm a retired truck driver and have put too many miles behind all brands of diesels. The best advice I could give is know your engine. It has already been said, "Read your manuals." ALWAYS keep up the sevice on your engine and IMO one of the worst enemies if a diesel is over heating. So NEVER shut it off after a hard run unless you have driven at a low speed for two or three miles. When going into a rest area after a hard run, let it idle for four to five minutes to cool down. You'll love the DP and if taken care of it will give you great service for many miles. And rream is correct. You don't have to keep your foot on the floor with a DP. Do you wallet a favor and drive easy and between 55 and 65 MPH. The trip is half the fun and you will arrive safer and with more money in your pocket.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Welcome! I know you're going to love your Winnie! I've had six motorhomes...the first two were Itasca's and then I tried other brands. I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven when I bought my last Itasca...you can't beat Winnebago service, parts and after-sales help. You're going to be happy with your purchase!
As far as the Diesel, just make sure that you read the manuals and service her like they tell you. You're gonna love it!