Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Propane question

Newbie here ...using my Vista for the second time. Pulled into a RV park and got everything set up and tried our stove and can't get any propane to flow. Checked the tank it's half full, valve is open but nothing. Any Ideas for me??

Half a tank is fine to operate on Right? Don't see anything in manual about that. The first half of tank was used for heat and hot water on our first trip.

Any ideas would be helpful

Dave

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Close the valve and let it sit for a minute then *slowly* open the valve. There is a flow limiter designed to shut off the gas if it flows out too fast. Sometimes they get tripped. I think that is how it is re set. At least that is what they tell me. ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Close the valve and let it sit for a minute then *slowly* open the valve. There is a flow limiter designed to shut off the gas if it flows out too fast. Sometimes they get tripped. I think that is how it is re set. At least that is what they tell me. ;-))
Correct answer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure you have a half tank of propane? The gauge on our tank was stuck at 3/4 full, and yet I could not get anything to light up. I hit the tank and there was this dreaded hollow sound. Went and filled up, gauge still says 3/4 but everything works like it is suppose to. A rubber or wooden mallet is your best friend in checking the fullness of propane tanks.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You mentioned on your first trip you used propane for heat and water. At that time did you try your stove? When you turn on a burner, can you hear hissing? I assume you are not smelling propane. If you haven't run your stove before, it can take several seconds (up to 30 secs on mine after a winter nap) for the propane to progress from the tank to the stove, moving the air out of the lines. If you hear hissing, then be patient. If you don't then you have a flow issue somewhere.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Answer #2:
Question: Is there an electrical device. either side of the regulator (NOTE: Other than the gauge) It will have two wires going to what looks like a coil?

IF so his is a valve, normally closed, gets power to open from the explosive gas detector...Detctor off, valve closed, Detector alarming, Valve closed.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone....got it working tried several on the things suggested and it now working

Dave

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This is what I do to get my propane running.

*WINDOWS OPEN*

1. Slowly open propane tank valve
2. Turn on all burners for the stove. Wait till I can smell propane. I put my nose real close to the burners so I know right away.
3. Turn off all burners.
4. Wait for smell to go away.
5. Turn on water heater.
6. Start futzing with something else outside while we're setting up.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Glade it is working now , you didnt say what model vista, does your Vista have a electric water heater? Some vista have gas/ electric hot water heaters. If you have shore power, saves on gas.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I keep seeing posts about bleeding the air but you do know that once it is done for the first time.. There should never be enough air in the line to need bleeding don't you.. I mean in 20 years of using Peopane to cook and heat water we NEVER had to bleed the lines.. We used 100 pound bottles,, Not a tank refilled on site but 100 pounders that were deliverd by the Propane dealer, hauled away by him when empty and re-filled at his "Plant".
Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If you change your propane tank and unless you have a valve ahead of where you break it from the tank, air will get into your line. That air must be bled out.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane