Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Gang:

Our propane oven won't ignite. The pilot eventually ignites after about 1 1/2 mins. of holding a flame to it but, for whatever reason, the main oven burner won't ignite.

Any ideas? Is the cure easily handled by a retired banker with limited mechanical skills?

Any suggestions will be gretly appreciated.

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Gang:

Our propane oven won't ignite. The pilot eventually ignites after about 1 1/2 mins. of holding a flame to it but, for whatever reason, the main oven burner won't ignite.

Any ideas? Is the cure easily handled by a retired banker with limited mechanical skills?

Any suggestions will be gretly appreciated.

2003 Tiffin Phaeton 40' TGH Portable Surge Guard. 2001 Subaru Outback toad, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow system and US Gear supplimental braking.
pleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

How do the burners work? Are they burning properly? The point is do you have good pressure in the LP line that goes there. Did you recently fill the tank? You may have to have a LP technician check for proper pressure with a special guage.

The slow lighting of the pilot hints at low pressure or bad propane!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The oven will not come on if the door is open. I was stupid enough to stand there with the door open the first time waiting for the thing to light up
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:40 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Our oven will come on with door open. If thermolcouple is not set right. It will not heat the sencer that opens the gas to the burner. It will take a few minutes for burner to come on.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

for my 2 cents, yes my oven works with the door open also. It takes a bit of time to light the pilot and then it takes a minute or so to ignite the burner. I've had several MH's and all the ovens have been slow to get going. Do you use it much? if the burners work well then you know you've got gas. Does the fridge work on gas? you may have to give it more time to ignite before seeking pro. help. Just be careful working with LP keep the area well ventilated.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well mine didn't light with the door open and when I showed it to service department the tech said there is a sensor that detects the door open, he then showed me that it burns with the door shut but not open. He said people would use it with the door open for heat which is dangerous so they disabled that. Maybe he was filling me full of crap. Good luck anyway.
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

interesting so I had to go check my manual for the oven, it is a Magic Chef and it does not say anything about the door, open or closed. Perhaps it is related to the brand of oven? I've had 4 different MH,s and always did the same with all of them. Howeverever back to the original problem, my manual said if the oven has not been used in a while it will be hard to light. Turn on the pilot and have a flame at the pilot outlet it may take a while to light. Hope that is of some help.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #9

My oven is the same way . . . it takes forever to light if the knob is left in pilot position.

The simple work-around is to turn the oven thermostat up to 300 degrees which places the pilot in high-pilot mode. With this configuration, the pilot will light right away.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If the oven won't light with the door open, will it go off if you open the door when it is lit? That is, if you check the biscuits, do you have to relight the thing? There may be a safety feature on some to do that, but sounds a little weird to me... and a whole lot of trouble.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If I was a retired banker with limited mechanical skills I would head directly to a service station of some sort. When dealing with propane on line guesses is not the answer. Good luck.
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

airborne, Welcome to the forum Pat like airborne says take it to an LP service center or you may become airborne. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote