Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane line failure

A couple of months ago I had a high pressure propane line failure. Driving in 117 degree ambient must have caused the line to let go.
When I arrived in Yuma and shut down the engine and generator, I smelled propane and heard the hissing. Immediately shut off the main valve and called a repair service. It was Saturday and he took me right in.
The hose actually pulled out of the fitting. The mechanic said Winnebago used a low pressure hose on the high pressure side. He replaced the failed tube with a hard line and I went on my way.
The failed hose was labeled 350 psi max. I assume that would be adequate but don't really know.
I contacted the factory and they said "no way would they use the wrong hose."
Just thought I should post this as it's something to keep an eye on. These should be inspected from time to time, I never gave it a thought.
If your in Yuma, Az I highly recommend RV Masters. They have the capability to handle just about anything.
Cliff Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Good post. What year and model RV are your driving? It would help us to determine if the problem was unique or not. Thanks.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Cool Propane line failure

Same thing happened on our 07 Itasca Ellipse TD. As I recall, the line going from the tank to the regulator came apart at the regulator. The hose was rubber, not metal, but seemed heavy enough. replaced the clamp with the "screw type." We used to travel with the propane on in case the genset crumped and the propane could take over for the fridge (this happened a few time with our Monaco). But since has not been an issue with the Ellipse, we just leave it turned off until we are parked and need for cooking, hot water, etc. Hope the info about Winni using the incorrect hose/line is inaccurate........
cd8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I've been an active forum member for many years but due to e-mail changes etc. I had to re-register. Maybe my signature will show up soon.
My coach is an '04 Vectra 40AD.
The propane was not in use at the time and I didn't shut it down at the one-place panel. I normally run with the propane on and will now consider re-wiring so the frig. can run off the inverter. I just met a fellow RV'er here in New Orleans with a late model Meridian and he says his came wired that way.
Cliff
Old 10-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

Having spent a number of years in the propane industry I would like to make some comments.

1. 350 psi rated hose is for high pressure propane. That is the hose rating for use in propane transfer on vehicles whose engines burn propane. I would conjecture that the hose end fitting was not installed properly or was defective.

2. One post mentioned a failure in a hose fitting between the tank and the regulator. That post also said that a clamp was used to reattach the hose. I urge you to have that hose replaced with a properly rated hose and appropriate end fittings. A hose clamp in a high pressure environment is just not safe.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

KIX:
Thanks for confirming that. I do believe that the extremely high ambient temperature combined with a marginal crimp caused the failure. I'm just thankful I'm here to tell about it.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Cliff,
Thanks for bringing up the propane hose failure. Not only is there always concern for a propane hose chaffing through, but also now failing from an improper crimp or some other manufacturing defect. As propane is routed throughout our RV's and goes through multiple hoses to bring propane into the slides, there is always the chance of a line failure.

At the 2009 rally, Mac the fire guy did a demonstration of a propane fire which was very impressive. His point of traveling with the propane off is highly debated, but is most likely worth considering by everyone.