Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Went out the door tonight and heard the propane leak detector screaming. Opened the door and sure enough, there was the smell of propane in the coach. It seemed to be coming from the oven. The line goes all the way to the rear of the coach and could be leaking anywhere. We took the MH back to the dealer with a propane leak shortly after we brought it home. I hope I don't have to keep bringing the coach to the dealer to fix propane leaks.

Also I will be trying a new dealer as the one we purchased the MH from is no longer a Winnebago dealer. They do not do any warranty work. I hope I won't get the run-a-round with this new dealer. Wish me luck.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Went out the door tonight and heard the propane leak detector screaming. Opened the door and sure enough, there was the smell of propane in the coach. It seemed to be coming from the oven. The line goes all the way to the rear of the coach and could be leaking anywhere. We took the MH back to the dealer with a propane leak shortly after we brought it home. I hope I don't have to keep bringing the coach to the dealer to fix propane leaks.

Also I will be trying a new dealer as the one we purchased the MH from is no longer a Winnebago dealer. They do not do any warranty work. I hope I won't get the run-a-round with this new dealer. Wish me luck.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'll wish you luck dealers can be a problem, do you have any LP company's around you give them a call if dealers don't work out. Yes I know you have a warranty but some times its cheaper than running back and forth to a dealer that can't fix it. If its a part of the stove than you can tell the dealer what to order to fix it. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:14 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I know this should go without saying,but I'd feel better saying it....PLEASE make sure EVERYTHING is turned off until you find the source of your leak. I'm certain you know that,but for someone that might be reading this forum it could be a rig (and LIFE!!) saving reminder...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:22 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Be careful of static electricity you can create this time of year when its dry just by walking on the carpet.

I'd make sure the tank is turned off.

Good luck in the frustrating hunt.

Maybe call a propane place like Amerigas and they can send somebody out to help at least locate the leak.

DOUG

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

BigRedLancer, I might add to take a close look at your oven control knob... It requires a detent, or a slight push-in and turn to get it fully OFF. In other words, if you simply think your turning the knob all they way off, it leaves the pilot "on" until you pass the detent. And if your pilot is not lit, perhaps LP is leaking out.
I recall a past post, months ago, where a Winnie owner had a loose hard line fitting to the Oven control gas valve. That's up on top of the oven, underneath the stovetop. A simple tightening with a wrench fixed it all up.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho:
This may not apply directly, but after we bought our new Itasca 35U it seemed that propane was consumed even if we didn't use any. It turns out the fittings in the line from the tank were never tightened properly. I simply took them all apart used pipe dope appropriately and tightened them. Might be something for others to check. If they wiggle when you try to move them with your hand they need attention.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

It is real easy to mix up some dish washing soap and water. Get a small paint brush and start soaping the joins starting at the tank...propane on...just take your time and find the leak. Be sure and use the CORRECT pipe dope or the yellow teflon tape for the pipe threaded joints only. The flare fittings do not need anything on the flare or the nut.

Ken
Old 02-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Propane leaks can be very trying to locate. I would suggest a proper leak down test be performed with a manometer. Code requires no leaks for 3 minutes minimum. If that procedure fails it provides a very good indication on the degree of leak. The use of an electronic leak detector will then expedite the locating of the leak or leaks. This can be performed by any certified technician and is the most accurate method to use.

If you do use a soap solution instead of an approved leak detection fluid, please wash the fittings off with clean water after the testing. Most soaps have an ammonia content which will attack the brass fittings with time. It obviously will not attack black pipe.

Hope this helps.
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I was told that the local Wini dealer could not look at my MH for SIX WEEKS! In the mean time, I am out of luck. I was told that there was nothing that they could do. I remined the lady that I have a potential hazard with a leaking propase system and she basically said that I would have to wait my turn to get the service. This dealer has just taken over the Wini sales and service in my area and they apparently don't have enough service staff to handle the customers. I talked to my old dealer (who is no longer a Wini dealer) and they can fit me in next week. So much for factory authorized dealer support. I guess when you pay $90K+ for a motor home you should just expect poor after sales service.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

BigRedLancer- I know exactly how your problem is going trying to locate a new dealer. We bought a 2004 Itasca 2 years ago and 8 months later the dealer sold out completely. Our contact with a new dealer was like yours, 6 weeks for a warranty appointment-kept the coach for 3 weeks, did 4.8 hours work on it and only fixed 3 out of 12 problems. Ended up taking it to Forest City to get the other 9 items fixed and one of the 3 that the dealer was supposed to fix. The dealer flatly told me since I hadn't purchased from them, my appointment went to the very bottom of the list and was shoved further down if any of their customers needed work quicker. Really sucks that the manufacturers can't use any more persuasion to force these dealers to take care of the manufacturer's customers. And price doesn't make any difference, mine was in the $200K rance. Good luck finding a decent dealer, they are few and far between. If you are ever in Boise, Idaho try Seventh Heaven Winnebago, they are very small and marvelous to work with will traveling through.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

So you think you should be moved ahead of those that were there before you??? I don't think that would be fair to them.

Try another dealer.

I have never been back to my purchasing dealer. I stop at any dealer when I'm traveling. They can't make you wait 6 months when you're traveling and Winnebago will overnight parts under warranty under their trip interruption provision.

Also, Winnebago may reimburse another brand dealer for doing your repair.

Call Winnebago and ask about taking your coach to a local propane dealer. They may be the best equipped to solve your problem.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Propane leaks! If you have got them you better get them fixed. If you wait for the dealer, a catastrophe can occur. The $ you spend could save your life and your posessions. Relying on other people to fix things is always the first path. If you canot get in to the dealer get it fixed without the dealer. This should not wait, go to a propane dealer that is ceretified and he will be able to test and fix your problems. I have not read any complaints about owners spending money to fix potentially dangerous problems. Good sens always overrides pointing fingers at dealers.