Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane issue

I temporarily set my MH up to be a permanent fixture in my yard. The only issue I have is propane. The state of louisiana doesn't allow propane companies to deliver it to me. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there a MOD to hook up an external tank, one I can take and have filled? We just need the gas for the furnace. I went electric on everything else.
billr30656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You can use an Extend-a-Stay, RV Upgrades, among others, sells it, this is the link:

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....OD&ProdID=1236

You can then get a 100lb propane bottle from your distributor, or use a couple of the 20lb gas grill bottles (and fill them often).

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 100# bottle would be a good way to go but are hard to transport as they weigh 100lbs plus the weight of the cylinder. They contain 23.6 gallons of propane. The height also make them tippy. A 40# cylinder is easier to handle and contains 9.4 gallons of propane. Is the state law against filling an RV tank or the location. If it is the RV that can't be filled, maybe a propane company could put a 150 gallon tank where you are located.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same issue, I went to the local Propane dealer talked to them about what I wanted to do. They suggested I rent a 250 gal tank from them. They delivered and set up the tank. I then purchased through them a extension hose to reach the RV (aprx 30 feet). I use The extend a stay fittings from CW. I works great. I only fill the tank about once or twice a year but during our winter time here I run the furnace as much as I want when it's cold.
Good Luck
Old 11-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I too would use an Extend-a-stay, Get a couple of 50 pound bottles and you can refill 'em either at a U-Haul. selected gas stations, campgrounds, RV-dealers or if you like paying a lower price....

Visit google and type PROPANE followed by your zip code and look for the kind of folks who deliver to the above list of high priced places to shop.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ditto the above suggestions. Most folks don't use any (Teflon) tape when installing these devices but if you do, be sure to use the yellow colored tape that's specifically designed for propane system fittings. Best of luck.

Jack
Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sunde's View Post
I had the same issue, I went to the local Propane dealer talked to them about what I wanted to do. They suggested I rent a 250 gal tank from them. They delivered and set up the tank. I then purchased through them a extension hose to reach the RV (aprx 30 feet). I use The extend a stay fittings from CW. I works great. I only fill the tank about once or twice a year but during our winter time here I run the furnace as much as I want when it's cold.
Good Luck

i use a 175 gallon tank i purchased from our local LP provider
they fill it when it gets below 60%
i used a shut off valve for lp/gas and a manufactured rubber hose that i can un screw and cap off when we leave for the road
all the parts i purchased at lowes expect for the rubber hose which i purchased from west marine
i tapped inot my coach system at eh area under the water heater as it provided a end cap and room for a new teee and extension pipe
Old 11-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Install an extend a stay between the tank and the regulator. That way you will have the correct pressure, you will have the shutoff valve for the leak detector, as a closed motorhome could become quite a bomb.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Just wondering what you are going to do about exercising your motorhome. It needs to actually be driven to keep the bearings and seals in good shape. Letting run at or near idle does not get the engine and exhaust system warm enough to drive the moisture out. moisture plus oil plus combustion products = ACID.

Ken