Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane and HVAC heat doesn't work

My heat pump won't pump heat. The propane heater doesn't work either. However, the A/C side of the HVAC does work. I am wondering if it isn't the thermostat. It would appear to be common link between the two. I have looked at the electrical wiring in the panel for the HVAC and see nothing wrong. The unit is a Coleman basement unit. I have called a guy (local HVAC) I have used before but he can't come until next week. Any help might prevent me from having them find the problem for me. I am guessing there is a way to bypass the thermostat and short across something in the panel to trick the heat pump to come on. Same with the propane heat, trick it into working. If this does work, I can order a new thermostat and it will probably fix the problem for less than the cost of a service call.

Thanks .... Dan [email protected]
dlboarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlboarman View Post
My heat pump won't pump heat. The propane heater doesn't work either. However, the A/C side of the HVAC does work. I am wondering if it isn't the thermostat. It would appear to be common link between the two. I have looked at the electrical wiring in the panel for the HVAC and see nothing wrong. The unit is a Coleman basement unit. I have called a guy (local HVAC) I have used before but he can't come until next week. Any help might prevent me from having them find the problem for me. I am guessing there is a way to bypass the thermostat and short across something in the panel to trick the heat pump to come on. Same with the propane heat, trick it into working. If this does work, I can order a new thermostat and it will probably fix the problem for less than the cost of a service call.

Thanks .... Dan [email protected]
ASSUMING you mean it IS the T-stat, I tend to agree with you. "Normally", the T-stat will cause the propane furnace to light whenever the temp you set is more than 3-5 degrees greater than the "room" temp it is sensing. This "feature" is apparently intended to "help" the basement Heat Pump warm the coach "quickly". Have you tried setting the temp significantly higher than the ambient temp? If the furnace still does not at least try to light, then I think your assumption about a bad T-stat is correct. Sorry, but I don't know any "tricks" you could try. Ed
Old 10-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Question. DO you select between Gas heat and heat pump?

If so then it is not likely the T-Stat, though it could be.. IF not then the odds go up.

Also on the suspect list is the control circuitry in the Heat Pump.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I do select between the heat pump (Electrical) and Gas Heat. But, like the one post says, if the room temp. is much below where you set the heat, the gas will always come on until the room warms up. Neither comes on. Again, I am hoping to by-pass the t-stat and fool the system.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you have two BLUE wires.. Those are the propane furnace..

One thought...... If the T-stat is drawing HEAT power from the furnace and the fuse has .. well.. fused..
Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you have a Winnebago coach you can call their tech support with your coach SN and they will help you determine the problem. The thermostat does sound like the culprit but there are control circuits on the basement air unit also.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you pull the tstat off the panel you should be able to pull the 2 pigtail connectors apart.

On the larger pigtail going to the basement unit, jumper between pins 2 and 8 (I think these are the ones), and heatpump should run.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

First fill out your signature so we can better assist you. You always go to the Winnebago site and download the schematics to assist you with troubleshooting. They will help you properly identify the wires behind the T-Stat.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

HVAC problems

Here are pictures of what the t-stat for the HVAC/propane looks like. I was hoping there was a way to go to the panel at the HVAC unit and jump two connectors and make the heating pump come on. This would tell me if it was the t-stat. Thanks .... Dan
Old 10-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When my heat pump side would not work, the RV technician found a corroded connection at the unit. Cleaned it up, reconnected, and heat pump worked. While he had the unit open he found a corroded connection to the 2nd compressor, cleaned it and 2nd compressor works. i saw a theme here, when something does not work on electricity I look for a bad connection first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

FYI ... I got a local HVAC guy to come by. Using the wiring diagrams he determined that if he jumped pin 1 (12 VDC Positive) to pin 3 (Gas Furnace) the t-stat would be by-passed and the furnace should come on. This was the pigtail on the three wires to the gas furnace. He did this and indeed the furnace came on and warm air started to come out. He agreed that the T-stat was bad. I thought this because one of the post suggested having someone turn the heat on and see if a relay clicked out at the HVAC unit. My wife helped with this and there was no click. I am attempting to order a new thermostat now.
I found the wiring diagrams at RVP Products Service manual for 6535 series two ton High Efficiency heat pumps, page 8. The nine pin connectors were not jumped, just the three pin.

Thanks for all the help.

Tags
propane