Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The blind on my entrance door seems to have lost it's oompf! It will not wind up all the way -- like the spring has worn out or is not wound tight enough. I cannot see how to remove it to repair. There are two small holes on the front that seem to be only decoration, and four what look like rivet heads that hold the whole blind assembly to the door.
This on a 2007 Adventurer.
Anyone have any ideas?
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The blind on my entrance door seems to have lost it's oompf! It will not wind up all the way -- like the spring has worn out or is not wound tight enough. I cannot see how to remove it to repair. There are two small holes on the front that seem to be only decoration, and four what look like rivet heads that hold the whole blind assembly to the door.
This on a 2007 Adventurer.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our 2003 Suncruiser had a regular window shade with a gold pull that would clang if you didn't have it all the way open.

The shade holders at the ends should have a slot on one side that will allow you to lift the shade out and pull it out of the hole in the shade holder on the other side. The slot side had a flat piece sticking out that you can rewind to put tension on the spring. Carefully try to re-install the shade while holding the flat piece so you don't lose all your tension. The shade should be fully rolled up when you do this.

Hopefully it is a similar set up in 2007.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply, Tom. However, on our M/H the blind is one solid unit, no holes on the sides to rewind it like a regular blind.

By the way -- how did you get the map on your signature? It looks pretty neat!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My wife and I used to have income property. Several of the units had window shades on rollers ... occasionally the tenants would allow the shade to "flip over the top" ... then there would not be enough spring tension to raise the shade ... so there were two ways to get more tension in the spring ...
1) take down the shade and roll it a couple of turns and then reinstall it
2) put a couple of turn on the shade without taking it down from the brackets ... thus increasing the tension on the winding spring

Is it possible to put a couple (maybe more) turns on your shade without taking it down? Try it ... you won't break anything
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

See MonacoMomma to get your signature all blinged up like mine! She is the best.

There are posts that show you how to start it and then she will clean it up.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The description of the blind sounds like the Carefree blind that I installed on our coach. You pull it down and hook it in the middle to make it stay down. If it is the same, you will find that the four "rivet heads" (two on each end) are acutally rubber/plastic plugs that hide the screws that hold the blind to the door.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hey AFCHAP! You get the prize! Once I knew the "rivet heads" were decorative plugs, I removed them, took the whole assembly off of the door, removed the left end bracket (it holds the spring tensioner; the right side is merely a hole for the roller to ride in), wound it up tighter, put the left side bracket back on while keeping the spring wound, then reassembled the whole thing and re-installed it. Of course, it took an hour to figure it all out, but all is well now!

You do need a Thorsen screwdriver ( I think that is what it is called) to take out the screws, though.

Thanks a bunch for the help -- that's why I love this forum!