Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I am new to the Winnebaggo forum so please tolerate my lack of knowledge. I just purchased a 2008 Sunstar and I noticed that there is only one vent in the bathroom and one in the middle of the coach. I would like to add a power vent to the front of the coach and one to the rear of the coach. Any advice? Thanks

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome There is a friendly and knowledgeable bunch here, so nobody is going to jump in your stuff for asking a question.

While I have not cut any holes the size you would need in my roof, there is no reason why you couldn't in your roof. Call Winnebago and they will help you locate the structural roof members to be avoided.

The big challenge will be getting the wiring to the vent. That will take some head-scratching.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Before you go and cut holes in your roof, you might want to try using just the two vents you have. Crack open one window and turn on the middle vent. If it is not a powered vent, you can replace it fairly easly with a powered one. I like the Fanstatic vents. The folks there are great to work with and they stand behind and in front of their products. I think you will find that this will cool down your motorhome in a few minutes. This is what I have been doing for years with my 35 footer.

Anytime you cut holes in the roof, you are adding another place for future leaks.

And welcome to the forum.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I agree with RV Boy. I have two powered vents in my coach and usually find that one will do the job with two or three lounge windows open. Think of it as a whole house fan. You might want to keep the entry door closed as that is a large opening and will lessen the effect from the windows.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I would agree with the others, don't rush to cut holes for a new vent right away. The Fantastic Fan in the main cabin of ours is good, I am going to replace the bathroom fan with either a MaxxAire or Fantastic Fan though. I like to have air in the mornings so I also picked up an Endless Breeze 12v plug in fan for the bedroom, I can set it up and crack the window to get all the air I want. When its really hot and we're running on A/C I can use that fan to push cool air from the rear of the coach to the front.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Not sure which floorplan you have (Winnebago brochure lists 33' as the longest) or how many roof A/C's but I would try a power vent in the existing vent before I put anymore holes in the roof.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Folks, thanks for the responses. As a former sailboat owner (and a guy still in the Navy) I am always hesitant to put a "thru-hull" fitting in when the manufacture didn't. I will definitely explore the powered vent on the current vent.

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by bjbkkb:
Folks, thanks for the responses. As a former sailboat owner (and a guy still in the Navy) I am always hesitant to put a "thru-hull" fitting in when the manufacture didn't. I will definitely explore the powered vent on the current vent.
I agree too that extra vents should not be required for most people.

Call Winnebago customer service too find out about the wireing situatuation and look into upgrading the existing non-powered vent to a powered one.

Note that Winnies factory vents are not usually standard run of the mill and have some extras like insulated lids. If the existing vent is by Fantastic Fan I would put in a fan kit if possible and if not I would change it out with a Winnebago spec Fatastic Fan powered vent.

Fantastic is a great company to deal with and lifetime warranties the lids. They even pay for standard shipping when sending out the replacements so the free replacement lids are really free.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The Fantastic is a very good option as others have said. I suggest that the model that has the rain sensor and temperature setting is the best option. Also, do not think that the fantastic is anything as inefficient and noisy as the fan provided in the bath area. The Fantastic fans are very quiet and move very large amounts of air (depending on the speed you set).
Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My only complaint on the weather sensors, is when a mist or light rain. The thing is up and down all the time. In the night someone has to get up and shut it off so it stays down. It is usually me.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

A few years back I ran across a sales rep. for Fantastic. My complaint was that the rain sensor would shut my vent and I was cosidering installing covers. She explained that I didn't know how to use them properly. As the vent is opening when it is raining (lightly) grasp the knob as it turns and stall the motor at your desired opening. Mabee 2 -3 inches. The fan still operates as normal and the sensor won't get wet and close.
She also told me the covers will cut the total capacity of the fan by up to 40%.
It works great for us.
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I have done the 2-3 inches opening. It is being in a sound sleep and waking up, and having to get up and taking care of it. Maybe I should just set it at 2-3 inches before going to bed.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We had a fantastic on our Class C and it really was fantastic. Seems like in the technology forum I have been reading some really good things about the company taking care of the product well after it is outside of the warranty period. I think I will look into turning that middle vent into a fantastic

2005 Honda Element
Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
... She also told me the covers will cut the total capacity of the fan by up to 40%...Ron
Ron,
We have 2 Fantastic Vent Fans (not automatic closers) in our trailer, both with exterior covers. I'd like this "expert" to explain how covers reduce the fan air movement capacity by 40% as opposed to closing the fan cover to 2-3". In my opinion that restricts airflow more than 40%.

In our trailer, we can open the covers wide open without worrying about rain in the middle of the night and we get good airflow. We use the Aero-Flo Roof Vent Cover on both fan vents and the non-fan vent.(Aero-Flo)

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I just wanted to add that your rv is probably already wired for power at the two vents that you already have so installing a power vent such as Fantastic Fan is a very easy proposition. Pretty much just a matter of removing some caulk and the screws around your current vent cover and removing the cover. The power wires will be easily visable tucked inside a hollow spot in the ceiling next to the vent opening. Put the new power vent in, connect the wires, screw it down, caulk and your set to go! We like our Fantastic Fan a lot and use it much more often than the ac.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Easyrider, you were spot on. The vent was wired for power. Got the TurboMaxx to put over my exiting vent and 2 quality hours with the wife we had the vent installed and working Thanks everyone for your input. Always nice to do something on the RV and think I just saved the shop fees.

2005 Honda Element
Old 03-23-2008, 05:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

One more suggestion. The fantastic fan vent covers are difficult to get air to move through.
Camping World sells a "Ramble" vent cover that will replace the original and allow the movement of much more air, making the fans much more effective.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote