Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Powered Door awning won't stay closed??

Hi Guys:

Well here is another think that went haywire this weekend. I fxed three probles and only broke one.

As I was driving down the road the powered door awning popped opened. I was having a problem with it retracting before. It seems the red lock latches aren't holding it in and the motor seems to weak or is slipping to pull it in without manual assist.

So what do you think, do I need a new motor? Or am I missing something?

Any and all help appreciated.

Regards... Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Don't know the brand awning on yours, but I understand the things are spring loaded to the out position. When the motor fails, they go out and stay there. Sounds like your motor is bad.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi AFC:

Yep that's what I was thinking... it will not stay closed at all.

Can I replace the motor myself, or is it a dealer job?

Regards... Jim P.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Oasis Elite Door Awning

The door awning on our 2005 Journey is an Oasis Elite. It failed to extend due to a failed motor. Seems that the design did not allow water to drain from motor which shortened its life. When the motor was replaced the awning would not stay retracted due to a faulty motor. ( I am still waiting for the replacement motor. 25 - 30 day delivery on new motor)

All this is to say that the retention function is a part of the motor on the Oasis Elite and most likely the other awnings by Dometic. If you are having trouble it will likely require a new motor. I understand that the newer motors do have a drain hole to allow for moisture to dissipate from the motor.

While awaiting a new motor I suggest restraining the awning with a zip tie or wire so it does not come out on the road.

Bill Burgner
Orlando, FL
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My '03 Ultimate has Carefree Colorado awnings ... if you are at all reasonably handy, you should be able to do it yourself...
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

takes special handling

I have the Oasis Elite door awning. I had to have it repaired under warranty.

I watched the tech remove the awning.
  1. It is a two person job
  2. The awning must be slid forward the entire length of the awning to remove it from the coach
  3. The awning must be removed from the coach in order to work on the motor
  4. There is one fastener through the wall of your motorhome that needs to be removed (pop rivet I think)
  5. The electrical wires must be cut
Two techs (both on ladders) physically removed my awning ... I think one tech could have done it with about 6 feet (horizontally) of scaffolding.

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I helped a friend with an 05 Meridian with the same problem fix it for the cost of a few pop rivets. Remove the motor cover (plastic shroud) and see if the motor is loose on the end of the awning. It only takes a little looseness in the motor mounting screws and the motor gearbox shaft will disconnect from the roller, and the spring arms will extend the awning quickly. If it is loose hold it tightly toward the front of the coach and have someone operate the retract switch. If it rolls in, there's your problem.

You will have to remove the awning to tighten the mounting screws. Remove the two screws or poprivets (varies) that hold the awning to the coach wall. You can see them when the awning is extended. Remove all the motor shroud screws and slide the awning forward on the hanging rail. This should expose a hole in the side of the coach wall where the wires enter. Ther is a gob of sealant around the wires which must be carefully removed to reveal a plug in connector usually tucked into the wall. Unplug the connector, and roll the awning upwards to release it from the hanger rail.

Once off, you will have to remove the motor to get to the 3 screws that hold the gearbox to the awning frame, and possibly remove a pop rivet that holds the end cap on the awning. Basically, it's then tighten everything up and reassemble and reseal the wire opening with a good caulk. Test it before final assembly. I had a motor priced to me by a Winnebago dealer in the neighborhood of $500.....this fix might be cheaper.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hi Roadking:

I had my coach at my dealer today. I watched as he took off the shell covering of the motor. They also thought it may be a loose gear or the clutch. Nope the #$%^&* motor is shot.

The price I got was $489.00 for a new motor and $49.00 for a new clutch. My awning is an Oasis Elite.

It is not an easy removal or replacement. I even priced a whole new awning, $989.00 dollars. I am screwed, I have to buy a new motor.

Jim P.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When we purchased our Journey DL from the Dealer (we are second owners) we found a long metal crank in the storage bay that is for the manual operation of the Door Awning.
If our Awning Motor should fail you can rest assured it would be operated by the Hand Crack and secured by tye wraps.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Capt Chet ... I've heard of some having a manual crank. What brand & model is yours?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We have the A&E Power Pro System and the Door Awning has the option of Electric or Hand Crank.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

That is a GREAT idea, Oasis does not have that option.