Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

While sitting on my duff watching the evening news, my TV, satellite and the blink eye on my VCR went black. I am connected to shore power and everything else works.
I have power to the inverter, but when I tried turning it on, the power on light did not come on.
I also attempted to reset the breaker button on the front panel of the inverter, to no avail.
Any ideas or suggestions? As always, when something breaks, the manufacturer is not available
Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While sitting on my duff watching the evening news, my TV, satellite and the blink eye on my VCR went black. I am connected to shore power and everything else works.
I have power to the inverter, but when I tried turning it on, the power on light did not come on.
I also attempted to reset the breaker button on the front panel of the inverter, to no avail.
Any ideas or suggestions? As always, when something breaks, the manufacturer is not available
Old 06-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Check for a fuse from batteries. You may have too many things on for the convert to operate. Move the VCR to an outlet not off convert. Could also be a bad gnd fault outlet on converter. Check gnd fault outlets in kitchen or bath outlet for convert may feed off one of them. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greyhound:
I am connected to shore power and everything else works. I have power to the inverter, but when I tried turning it on, the power on light did not come on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When you say you have power to the inverter, do you mean 120 VAC power, 12 VDC power, or both?

If the inverter incorporates an internal automatic transfer switch, then 12 VDC power-on light may be bypassed while plugged into 120 VAC.

If Winnebago is still using Freedom inverters for their TVs, they tend to have a poor record for reliability. If you don't have any 12 VDC going to the inverter, then the unit has probably shorted out, blowing the 25 amp supply-fuse.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you "007" and Stan for the information. Winnebago in their infinite wisdom, placed the inverter in the overhead storage box, which has little ventilation. As a result, it over heated, popped the breaker and would not reset until everything cooled off.
I am sitting in ST. Louis where it has been extremely warm the past week and I guess the heat build up was to much for the inverter.
When it did cool, I was able to reset the breaker and everything works fine. I did however to the recommended checks.
It is the 300W Dimensions (El Cheapo). I will at some later date, have it replaced with something I hope will be more reliable. For now, I have the door open and will obtain a battery operated fan to circulate the air until such time I get to cooler weather.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is the 300W Dimensions (El Cheapo). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't feel too badly - I have the 2,000 watt version of El Cheapo. I plan on replacing it with a Xantrex.

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Greyhound,
Mine failed and I finally had to plug the TV and VCR into the 120v outlet to get then to work. Since I never had occassion to need TV on Inverter I just took it out. We seldom boondock so it was not a big deal to us. Point is when it failed, it would not pass AC to the TV or VCR even when commected to shore power.
SeaRAy
Old 07-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I too have a dimension 300w inverter that may have just bit the dust. Do you suppose Winnebago knows about these problems? All I have hooked up are the TV and vcr.
Keith
PULLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have a new Dimensions 300w in the box. Bought it to upgrade my old Vectra from the Dimensions 130w to 300w but traded in the coach before I had a chance to install it.

[email protected]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Forgot to mention I also have the Dimensions 130w invertor that I removed from my Vectra. It operates fine.

[email protected]
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote