Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Power Problems

New to us 2008 Itasca Suncruiser 38T. Our first Class A. We have a 50 circuit installed to hook to shore power at home and a progressive surge protector for protection. Disconnected today to go for a driving lesson and coach batteries dead. Found that the 25 amp fuse by the batteries was popped. Reset, drove and check and the batteries after about and hour showed 12.4 on the power management system. Turned on the generator. Turned off the generator and the same breaker popped again. We have 2 exide AGM 24 batteries that from the paperwork in the coach are about 18 months old.
Not sure why batteries went from 13.8 this morning to stone dead while hooked to power ( lights were working while hooked to shore power and we were only disconnected about 20 minutes before starting engine
Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyshell View Post
New to us 2008 Itasca Suncruiser 38T. Our first Class A. We have a 50 circuit installed to hook to shore power at home and a progressive surge protector for protection. Disconnected today to go for a driving lesson and coach batteries dead. Found that the 25 amp fuse by the batteries was popped. Reset, drove and check and the batteries after about and hour showed 12.4 on the power management system. Turned on the generator. Turned off the generator and the same breaker popped again. We have 2 exide AGM 24 batteries that from the paperwork in the coach are about 18 months old.
Not sure why batteries went from 13.8 this morning to stone dead while hooked to power ( lights were working while hooked to shore power and we were only disconnected about 20 minutes before starting engine
Did you mean to post that a circuit breaker that is 25 amp is tripping ? I see that there is a 25 Amp Circuit Breaker for Electric Step on the circuit breaker panel. Is this what you meant? I looked at the wiring diagram for your coach and there was no 25 Amp fuse right next to the battery shown on the OEM wiring diagram. If there is one it may be a post factory build modification. If it's factory it should have a Yellow wire with printing on it leading away from it on both sides. You can tell us what the printed Letter Code on the wires are and we can look up the purpose of the wire and it might help us aid you. You also might post a picture of the fuse that is blowing if it is in fact a fuse, it might help us tell if it's factory or a modification.

When you are connected to shore power, is everything 12 volt in the RV working like lights, vent fans, including you have the ability to operate the slides?
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Randy, everything was working when we were connected to shore power..here is a picture of the popped breaker I was referring to. It is in the small fuse panel in the steps right above the battery compartment. Apparently I need better glasses because that actually is a 55 amp breaker, sorry I said 25
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	140771  
Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Make sure the polarity is correct and that the batteries are wired in parallel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Well my coach popped this same breaker on my last trip out. Only thing I done different was run my inverter to power my newly installed Residential refer. Only happened coming home, worked great going out. Upon reset of this breaker everything was OK!
Would like to know what you find out. Keep us posted!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It looks like that breaker powers the 12 volt accessories in the coach. What do you have plugged into 12 volt accessory jacks.

The reason the battery showed 13.2 volts was that you were actually seeing the converter voltage. The converter charges the coach batteries.

You can download the wiring diagram and see exactly what is powered by that 55 amp breaker.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyshell View Post
Randy, everything was working when we were connected to shore power..here is a picture of the popped breaker I was referring to. It is in the small fuse panel in the steps right above the battery compartment. Apparently I need better glasses because that actually is a 55 amp breaker, sorry I said 25
Thanks. Just shut off generator or just disconnected from shore power, and it has just popped out - if you push it in without doing anything else at that point - does it stay in?
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Thanks. Just shut off generator or just disconnected from shore power, and it has just popped out - if you push it in without doing anything else at that point - does it stay in?
Update - we had it unplugged to it would be safe during the storm. Battery completely dead. Plugged back into shore power and same breaker popped. Reset and it popped again. We have an RV tech locally who is coming to check it out end of the week. I'll post what he finds ..Thanks to everyone for your input. It is nice to be able to get help from people familiar with what you are talking about.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

What would make the engine batteries keep going dead after a few weeks of being parked? I have just replaced them and were i park the coach, it is plugged into shore power continiously. It's only a 120v plug but i would have thought it should be staying charged? Any info is greatly appreciated. It is a 2005 Journey 36G. We just got it this summer so still learning things about it. Is there something I am doing wrong?
Runowskib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, power, problems