Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Power Gear vs HWH slide/jack mechanisms

I went to the 2011 California RV show in Pomona, CA last week and went through 15 different 2012 Winnebago class A's and noticed that all of them had Power Gear slide/jack control units. I asked six different Dealer salesmen why Winnebago made the change from HWH to Power Gear. You guessed it, no one knew. My guess is that the Power Gear is cheaper to put in a class A rather than a HWH.

Does anyone know the "official" reason for this change? I also noticed that all of the Tiffin class A's also had the Power Gear systems installed. Did HWH have a problem/issue, or is this just a cost cutting issue for both manufacturers?

2008 Winnebago, 35L, Adventurer, 8.1 L , W24
2010 CRV toad
bdc278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Now THAT is an excellent question. I had heard from an HWH authorized repair facility in Feb this year that W. might be going to Power Gear. I would really be interested in the answer.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I too would be interested in the "true" answer to this inquiry. We had Power Gear levelers (jacks) in our recently sold '99 Bounder 34V. They worked flawless. I had to rebuild a couple of them due to some leaky seals but, no big deal. We now have a complete HWH system in our new to us '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. So far, they work flawless. And, the same system utilizes hydraulic rams for slide manipulation. I've had to rebuild one ram in the bedroom slide and although it was a pain to get out and put back in, it was incredibly easy to replace seals. So far, it's working flawless with no leaks.

So, again, this will be interesting. Hope HWH is not going out of business.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our new 2011 Journey has HWH jacks and Power Gear slides. We had HWH jacks and slides on our Suncruiser and had problems with the system since we purchased it. I'm waiting to see if we have better luck with this combination.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I asked at the Hershey RV show and they told me fewer problems and easier to repair than HWH.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbumn View Post
Our new 2011 Journey has HWH jacks and Power Gear slides. We had HWH jacks and slides on our Suncruiser and had problems with the system since we purchased it. I'm waiting to see if we have better luck with this combination.
Outbumn,
This is interesting too. While I'm no business exec and have no idea on how contracts are set up in the RV industry, having both HWH and Power Gear SEEMS a bit odd. But, maybe it's quite normal. It's just the first time I've seen someone post that both systems are in the same coach. Why not? I presuppose, obviously, that there's two completely different pumps and systems too? Hope all works out just fine for you, can't see why it shouldn't. Cool.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a new 2011 Sightseer with HWH Jacks and Power Gear slides. We where told when we ordered that Winnebago went back to HWH because of cost this year when we ordered it in March and now they are back to Power Gear one year latter. We have had nothing but problems with our HWH jacks and using it in Auto you have to put wood blocks on the front jacks for it to work . And this is on a level sight. We can not get Winnebago or HWH to repair our jacks other than just use it in Manual or use the wood blocks. Might be why in 2012 Winnebago went back to Power Gear. Guess we are out of luck.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Did you talk to Winnie direct or dealer? Unless it has changed there is a 3 yr warranty on HWH.
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Wait till you need parts from Power Gear.
HWH much better. I had PG in my Pace Arrow.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

My 2008 Winnebago has Kwikee/PowerGear. Recently at the Winnebago Service Center they said their was blistering on three of the hydraulic hose surfaces. I told them to replace all of them. They had to order them from HWH (next day service).
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I looked in my big black bag and HWH is only One year
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, power