Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Schwintec/power gear

As I have posted before, we have had the drivers side slide fail twice. Winnebago replaced wit a upgrade schwintec in December.it failed again in May. Winnebago replaced again in July with the new and "Improved " power gear. Been to Montana and back. Have cycled approximately 16-17 times. So far so,good. Use silicone spray very liberally. Will get back with more details.
See signature.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I would respectfully suggest to all Winnebago owners (2013 and newer) to look at a 2012 Tour (or older) while the slides are open and see if you really have Power Gear.

How does it compare to yours?
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
I would respectfully suggest to all Winnebago owners (2013 and newer) to look at a 2012 Tour (or older) while the slides are open and see if you really have Power Gear.

How does it compare to yours?
+1 ! The current widely used versions of the Power Gear slide look to me to be an evolution of the Schwintek design. They bear absolutely no resemblance to the 2012 and earlier Power Gear slides although a version of those ram based slides is still used on some larger slides.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:34 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I've had two WGBOs with the HWH hydraulic jacks and slides and, although, they have some hose leaking issues and solenoid issues from time to time, I'm happy I still have one with HWH. Too bad they couldn't figure out a way to keep using them as it is costing them big bucks now.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Power Gear slides

I have the 2011 Itasca Meridian with the original Power gear slides. First problem I had was the plastic rollers that support the slides cracked in half.
I Replaced all 8 (4 on each slide) with custom made aluminum rollers. No more roller problems. Second problem was the passenger slide lost Sync. Followed manual instructions and all is OK now.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

The gift that keeps on giving!!
Fixing to leave SPI. Did my 4-6 week ck.first of March. The passenger slide would not come in..had to replace both motors. This is the third set. Have lubricated a lot. Usually spray each time retracting. Supposedly when the new system was put in last Sept. They didn't get it sealed good enough. Moisture got in and siesed up the motors. Working now, but hold my breath every time we retract and extend.
Thinking about going to the factory later this spring, before our long summer trip to Mt.then on to the west coast and Ca. In October for DW 50th class reunion.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Vista LX27N 2016 with 8,500 miles Had our Full Wall slide fail at the Tampa RV Show in January. Same failure as others. Took a month to get repaired at the Midway Camping World. They could not get the new parts to work even after calling the factory. I had to call customer service asking for someone to call the dealer and help them get it working. Got it back the next day. Went to Suwannee River Music RV Park last weekend and had the Dining Slide fail the same way. Noise, cracking, jerking and jumping and uneven travel. Got the last April appointment in Forest City, Iowa for the 5th. Now booked for April and May. Leaving tomorrow for the 1,320 mile drive in order to get quality service. Waiting till morning to pick best route avoiding hail, tornadoes, and Thunderstorms. Warranties are nice but very expensive to use. This should not be happening. While there I will also have them repair leveling jacks that leak down with a jolt, full body paint flaking off for the third time, sagging outside door hinges, very low pressure in kitchen sink and 4 other issues. Hopefully then we can enjoy the rest of our trip to Seattle. What scares me is my warranty runs out May 27th and can't afford too many $3,000 slide repairs.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Sad to say your experience with your Winnie is far from unique. The factory experience will be a real eye opener. It was for me.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed rzepka View Post
Sad to say your experience with your Winnie is far from unique. The factory experience will be a real eye opener. It was for me.
It's not Honwing's firsr time at Forest City, Iowa. We were parked end to end during the 2016 GNR and we both had Winnebago service while there.

We left Tucson, AZ yesterday. We are on our way to Mesa Verde, CO to view the Native American Cliff Dwellings. Then it is on to the National Parks in Utah

I don't want to jinx myself but we haven't had any major problems lately.

My furnance stopped working about a month ago. It would go through one heating cycle and then it would not cycle back on until I turned it off and then back on and only after it cooled down. After a few days and a call to Winnebago it started working again. All I did was to remove and replace the outer cover.

The temps in Mesa Verde are below 32 degrees F at night. We will need a working furnance.

Honwing, hopefully you are almost through your problems. My last two problems happened a few weeks out of warranty. Winnebago fixed my full wall slide as a courtesy. My dealership replaced the Pioneer radio and back up camera display unit. I don't know who paid for the radio but I suspect it was Pioneer.

Safe travels to all. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Yellowboat;3523849]It's not Honwing's firsr time at Forest City, Iowa. We were parked end to end during the 2016 GNR and we both had Winnebago service while there.

We left Tucson, AZ yesterday. We are on our way to Mesa Verde, CO to view the Native American Cliff Dwellings. Then it is on to the National Parks in Utah

I don't want to jinx myself but we haven't had any major problems lately.

My furnance stopped working about a month ago. It would go through one heating cycle and then it would not cycle back on until I turned it off and then back on and only after it cooled down. After a few days and a call to Winnebago it started working again. All I did was to remove and replace the outer cover.

The temps in Mesa Verde are below 32 degrees F at night. We will need a working furnance.

Honwing, hopefully you are almost through your problems. My last two problems happened a few weeks out of warranty. Winnebago fixed my full wall slide as a courtesy. My dealership replaced the Pioneer radio and back up camera display unit. I don't know who paid for the radio but I suspect it was Pioneer.

Safe travels to all. JD[/QUOTE

I suspect we will not have many (if any) issues this year. Another opportunity came up that that was just to good to pass up. We will probably us the MH two weeks in July and two weeks in November at total of 4000 miles. In the mean time I take it out for a 40 mile run about every three to four weeks. In 2018, we plan to go to Alaska. My 5th wheels survived the trip without a hitch. I hope for the same luck with the our Winnie.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Power Gear Slide

Thank You Yellowboat. Now staying an extra day in Cullman, Alabama headed to Forest City. Currently have severe weather warnings in Kentucky and Tennessee.Rv Is a terrible Storm Shelter so will wait till tomorrow to continue. Stopping in Louisville and Peoria and plan to be in Forest City on Monday. Hoping the dining slide has a few cycles left. Lots of noise and coming in crooked. Yesterday my XM radio quite ( third time) and so did the rear camera. Along with the leaking leveling jacks and the flaking paint (again third time) we should be the at Winnebago at least a couple days before heading to Seattle.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Thank You Yellowboat. Now staying an extra day in Cullman, Alabama headed to Forest City. Currently have severe weather warnings in Kentucky and Tennessee.Rv Is a terrible Storm Shelter so will wait till tomorrow to continue. Stopping in Louisville and Peoria and plan to be in Forest City on Monday. Hoping the dining slide has a few cycles left. Lots of noise and coming in crooked. Yesterday my XM radio quite ( third time) and so did the rear camera. Along with the leaking leveling jacks and the flaking paint (again third time) we should be the at Winnebago at least a couple days before heading to Seattle.
What kind of slide system does you dining slide have? The Power Gear Slim Rack system mounted on the side of the slide out or the or the motor driven rack system underneath the slide out.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Power Gear Slim Rack just like the passenger full wall slide
Old 03-30-2017, 04:30 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Slide sounds just like the full wall slide. Motor sounds like it has come loose or broke mounts and when retracting makes a loud bang, starts moving in later then the back motors and finishes up behind the rear side. Again identical to what happened on the full wall slide. Replaced by Camping World and will have factory check because it slows down considerably when half way in or out. Very limited repair facilities in the Florida Panhandle and will not use Camping World ever again.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Pictures of a Power Gear slide mechanism failure.

The housing under the motor is prone to cracking.

My dealeeship knew of this fault and replaced my mechanisms prior to problems. They told me that they used redesigned parts that should not crack.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/Ja...de%20Mechanism

Safe travels. JD
Old 04-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #36
Winnebago Owner

After 1,150 miles headed to Forest City our 27n has lost it's XM radio, rear camera, left front leveling jack started leaking, and now the check engine light has returned after only 1,500 miles. As much as we like the floor plan we feel we made a huge mistake on the model. Waiting in Cedar Rapids for Ford to call us in the morning. Amazed that Ford Motorhome Customer Service does not know if an authorized dealer works on Motorhomes until they call them. Anyone know if the Ford Dealer in Forest City can check a check. Engine light on a RV? We traded in our Sprinter based Navion due a lack of Dealers but now find most Ford Dealers can not touch an RV. ????
Old 04-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

My experience when I had an E450 Class C was that if a Ford dealer services trucks (beyond pickups), they will service RVs. Suggest you purchase a ScanGauge off Amazon for $100+ so you can read your codes yourself. That way you can make determination on severity and if you can /could continue travelling. They also have a "gauge" function that will provide you with a significant enhancement of your dashboard readings. Think you will find many RV'ers using them - it is well worth the $$. Good luck,

Bob
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Thank You for the quick reply. Will check Amazon. Just did not expect all of the problems we have experienced on a new coach
Old 04-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Honwing.

If you call Ford Customer Support they can find a nearby Ford dealer and make an appointment for you. They can get a car dealership to provide service to an RV even if the dealership tells you that they don't service RV's.

Most autoparts stores will allow you to check out a scan tool. You can look up the trouble code online. My scan port is slightly to the right of the steering column and above the brake pedal.

Have you had your ECM flashed for the programming errors on the 2016 Ford F53 chassis that will illuminate either the engine light or the red brake light and yellow ABS light simultaneously?

The engine light triggers a P0300 Random Misfire trouble code. The fix is TSB 16-0037.

The brake fault fix is TSB 16-0042

It takes about 20 minutes to download the ECM updates.

If your fault code is P0300 it is a easy fix and nothing to worry about.

We arrived at Mesa Verde National Park today. Our elevationis 6,800 feet. It's cold here at night

Safe travels. JD
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Thank You. Called Customer Support Friday but Dealers that she called we're closed. Will check on ECM flash. There are no Ford Dealers that will work on Motorhomes in the Florida Panhandle. When the light came on last November they sent me to Tallahassee Truck Service. When I got it back I had acorns on the floor, a shop blanket on the doghouse, grease on the carpet and squirrels who did over $3,000 worth of damage. Camping World did a poor job of repair and things are still not right.

Tags
power, power gear