Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Power Awning won't retract in wind.

Hi again. I took my 06 Meridian out this weekend and thought I'd try the awning that is supposed to retract in the wind. I made sure that it was on and set it for 18 MPH windspeed. When the wind got to the point where I was sure it was at least 20 MPH, the awning just flapped but did not come in. I then set it for 12 MPH (the lowest setting) and still it did nothing. The awning arms were folding in the wind but there was no power bringing it in. I'm wondering if the wind sensor is bad. The awning has power and will go in and out from the rocker switch in the coach. Any suggestions?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have never trusted mine. I have found that it will sometimes retract when there's barely any breeze at all, and then not retract when the wind is pushing it up like a parachute.

I had the dealer check it twice and both times they said it tested fine so I gave up and turned it off. I now use tie down straps when I'm going to be set up for a while. Automatic safety features are worthless if you can't trust them.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I was told it takes a 30 second sustained wind hitting the sensor for it to roll up. Given the placement of the sensor, trees and other objects in the area the sensor might not get a 30 second wind. Gusts alone will not trigger it. Never trust the sensor to roll it up.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I also discovered that it takes a sustained wind to get the awning retracted.

Bottom line I retract at night or when away from the rig for any length of time.

Gary
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks guys. I guess that tells me what I needed to know. That's a shame, but I figured it was too good to be true.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I found the best procedure is to disable the sensor, anchor the awning, if we leave the property for more than a few hours we put it away and every night it gets put away. Pay attention to the weather forcasts.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have seen the same pattern of it not working when it should and working when it shouldn't. The problems noted in this thread are greatly affected by sensor location. If the wind is from the wrong side of the sensor, it won't detect it properly. I've also learned that we need to manually operate it. Our HOPE is that if a freak wind front hits us unexpectedly and we are away that the system works.

I'm a certified weather observer and pilot so I may be a little more weather savvy than some. I can read all kinds of weather charts. LOL Still, "stuff" happen.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I cross my fingers everytime I push the button to extend the awning. Sometimes it needs some "encouragement" and other times it opens without a hitch. Why, I don't know. I am going to stop by the awning mgfr. if I ever get to that part of country again. Two weak points being an RV owner: tires and awnings. I learned by observing others as to what not to do and that is leaving the awning out when we go exploring for the day.

Being over cautious when it comes to awnings is the best advice I can give. During rain or wind or any inclement weather, bring in the awning. Waking up in the morning and discovering 50 gallons of water have collected and bent the "tube" doesn't make for a good outing.

A word to the wise................
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I don't trust that wind sensor and live by the idea that if I'm not sitting under my awning, it is rolled up. I've seen too many broken awnings in campgrounds over the years and would not want that to happen to mine.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mine would roll up in a dead calm, and fail to roll up in a major storm that was ripping awnings off other rigs nearby.

I disabled the sensor and tie it down.. Have yet to have a problem If not tied down (And some times even if it is. A big wind starts to blow it gets STOWED.. Only problem I've had to date was with a mountain .. It don't like rubing against a mountain, even if stowed.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoots View Post
I cross my fingers everytime I push the button to extend the awning. Sometimes it needs some "encouragement" and other times it opens without a hitch. Why, I don't know. I am going to stop by the awning mgfr. if I ever get to that part of country again. Two weak points being an RV owner: tires and awnings. I learned by observing others as to what not to do and that is leaving the awning out when we go exploring for the day.

Being over cautious when it comes to awnings is the best advice I can give. During rain or wind or any inclement weather, bring in the awning. Waking up in the morning and discovering 50 gallons of water have collected and bent the "tube" doesn't make for a good outing.

A word to the wise................
I have a 2007 35' Itasca with the Dometic Power Awning. I have experienced exactly the same kind of problems. Over the years, I have had the main controller + remote replaced at the Winnebago factory. I have also had three separate service companies attempt to find the problem but no luck. I never know when I push the buttom whether it will extend, retract, etc. Sometimes I have to push on the awning with a broom to help it retract. I have extended my back up wiring harness so that it will reach the batteries under the steps when the awning is fully extended. That way, I don't need a separate battery to manually retract the awning. One other small tip....don't extend the awning all the way out! I find that if I can extend it a small amount before trying to retract, it will work, albeit very slowly! I have also waited a while and then tried to retract again. Sometimes it will retract like there is nothing wrong!

Cheers, Knightly
Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Knightly we got so sick of worrying with ours that we had it wired direct. Push button for in or out. 2 of our friends had their Weather Pro converted to manual. Before ours was rewired we had a total of 3 boxes and 2 sensors in 6 years. Can't tell you how it was done as DH wasn't home to watch the mobile tec.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Awning problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
Knightly we got so sick of worrying with ours that we had it wired direct. Push button for in or out. 2 of our friends had their Weather Pro converted to manual. Before ours was rewired we had a total of 3 boxes and 2 sensors in 6 years. Can't tell you how it was done as DH wasn't home to watch the mobile tec.
Thanks for the tip Beabop. I had never thought about permanently wiring it direct. Sounds like a great idea. I will add it to my "to do" list for next winter when I am snowbirding in Mesa, Az.

Knightly.
2007 Itasca 35A, W24 Chassis, HHR Toad.
Summer ride: 2007 Honda Goldwing, Airbag model, GWRRA BC/D. Winter Ride: 2009 Suzuke Boulevard 800, C50T, Blue Knights BC I.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Help me understand how wiring the awning directly does something that just turning off the auto retract switch doesn't do.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Rick, I was wondering exactly the same thing.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I'm also interested. My guess is that it bypasses the control board which can be problematic.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

On the first trip up the road to our house a tree limb took care of the little prop, so I sealed the opening and figured that was one less thing to worry about.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'm also interested. My guess is that it bypasses the control board which can be problematic.
That was my guess too, Cliff. A couple of years ago, my awning began to act up and I traced it to corroded contacts on the control board. It's amazing the number of wires and circuitry required for that thing. And is there anyone who has ever actually found a practical use for the remote control?

They may have been better served by putting their R&D dollars in to a more powerful motor. With that, the simple in/out switch would look pretty good.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I would agree that wiring direct probably bypasses the control box. All I know is that when the awning does not retract at all, I have followed the procedure in the manual and wired the motor direct to the batteries under the stairs. This usually results in it retracting with no problem. That would tell me that it is not the motor but something else in between.

Cheers, Knightly

Tags
awning, power