Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Power awning ???

Am considering getting a power awning.

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations??

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

David

I have always had manual, put out and bring back in do it yourself awnings.
I bought a used 2002 winnie Journey a few years ago and it had a power awning. I said Oh well, I will live with it.
Well let me tell you this. I put out that awning whenever I want even if its for just a couple hours, or minutes.
Whenever I leave the coach I never leave the awning out because I have seen winds come up in just minutes and destroy an awning.
No big deal, I just press a button and the awning is retracted.
I dont have any wind sensor gismos on mine and not sure I would trust them.
I believe mine is the A&E carefree. It goes out and then slopes down, mutch the same as the previous manual awning I have had.
It has worked flawlessly , and as you can see mine is a 2002 coach, so that has to say something for its reliabilty.
I am not sure that I would want the power awning that go out flat, as as the sun sets it would leave a lot of your patio area unshaded.
YES, power awnings are great. Touch the button its out, touch it again its retracted.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

David:

I second RCTime's opinion. We've had both, and the ease of use of the power awning can't be beat, for the same reasons he mentioned.

Ours is an A&E with the wind sensor gizmo, it does work (I tested it during a windy day while I hovered nervously over the retract button). I don't rely on it, but it is nice to know it works and not have to worry if I leave the awning out accidentally.

We have about a 3' vertical drop from the top of the awning to the end, it blocks enough sun for us to be happy with it (which is one of the things we noticed people complaining about when researching it).

We would definitely get another power awning if we were in the market for another coach!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have the A&E power awning on my 2007 Suncruiser. I agree with the above posters. It takes about 25 seconds to run it in or out. This is great and is why I will run it in and out several times a day sometimes. It is quick and easy to do and AI never have to worry about the wind. I have mine set with the wind sensor off because it is too sensitive and variable. Sometimes it would come in with no perceivable wind at all. The only problem that I have with mine is that it is attached to the side of the motorhome above a long slide. This lists it higher than I would have put it. The awning drops only a few inches from the motorhome to the outside roller tube. It definitely cannot be lowered 30 degrees like people can do with the manual awnings so the low winter sun can be a problem. I wish there were a solution to this.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have the power awning, both door and patio, and beginning to have some problems with it along with several other posters on the Forum. I understand the motors are really expensive to replace.
I've had 2 other coaches with the manual operated awning and wish this one was Manual. Anything on these RVs nowadays that is automatic is going to give trouble. Instead of 25 seconds for the automatic it may take all of 2-3 minutes to pull out the manual awning, and I'm sure will be a whole lot less expensive to purchase and install.
My first Rv had manual water heater ignition, manual awning, and several other items manually operated and was sure a lot less troublesome. Not as convenient but a lot less troublesome.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I have the power awning, both door and patio, and beginning to have some problems with it along with several other posters on the Forum-----------------------

Wagonmaster. What problems have you had and other posters?
I occasionaly lube the moving parts and it has been trouble free.

I also have the elect. over the door awning. It really doesnt do much, as it goes out flat, and is small, but sometimes when the sun is just right I put it out, or when its raining.

It is so small I usually just leave it out as the wind hardly makes it move much. It is something I could easily live without.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have the 2002 version. Press the button it goes in or out. I very seldom put it out without tying it down. I rigged up fasteners so I can disconnect the anchors & put it away in 30 seconds if a sudden wind comes up. I don't trust it in the wind even though in a video I got from A & E it says this awing is supposed to flex with the wind. At first I did not like it because you cannot tie it down the same way as the manual ones but after several years I am glad I have it. The only problem is when closing it the awning rails sometimes do not line up with the rails that are permanently mounted on the side of the coach preventing the awning from closing snug. The way I have resolved this is to pull the fabric slightly one way or the other on the awning tube when its fully extended it seems as though the vinyl fabric shifts a little occaisionally probably due to the weight of the fabric. The later models have the cloth awnings subsequently they are much lighter and probably not as much movement.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have two power awnings (A&E) with wind sensors that can be set to Off, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 MPH. The also come with a remote control which is helpful when you drive up and it is raining. Push a remote button and the awning comes out. One awning is the long slide and the other is over the steps. They also have a rain detect which will tilt one end of the awning when it rains to drain it off the lower end. (neat) Holding a switch, or remote, for 3 seconds will automatically extend the awning to it's fullest position, and again for 3 seconds will close it. (I believe it is the A&E 9100, but if you are interested I can look up the exact nomenclature)

I have had the manual awning on past RVs and I prefer the power awnings.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Oasis Power Awning... No problems
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
I have the power awning, both door and patio, and beginning to have some problems with it along with several other posters on the Forum-----------------------

Wagonmaster. What problems have you had and other posters?
I occasionaly lube the moving parts and it has been trouble free.

I also have the elect. over the door awning. It really doesnt do much, as it goes out flat, and is small, but sometimes when the sun is just right I put it out, or when its raining.

It is so small I usually just leave it out as the wind hardly makes it move much. It is something I could easily live without.
When the in/out switch at the entry door is pushed the awning just doesn't move, either to come in or go out whichever is the next direction. Most others have said it either required drilling a hole in the bottom of the motor housing to drain out moisture, or they have to replace the motor which most have stated its very expensive for a small motor. So far if I flip the switch a time or two the awning will operate but am afraid one of these times just as I'm ready to leave a CG the awning won't come in. Getting hesitant to use either the door or patio awning for that reason.

Wagonmaster2

And I do lubricate the moving parts regularly but doesn't seem to make any difference in the operation.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Contact the vendor directly.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster
Thanks for the heads up, Something to watch out for.
GG1 said his is the 2002 version, as mine. I didn't realize there were newer versions out, however it makes sense to bring out new and improved awnings.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

WE have had many problems with our 04 Dometic and had to repair the oasis door awning. We would never buy another Dometic.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We currently have a Dometic A and E power awning. It is the big one that extends over the slide on the passenger side. We have had nothing but issues with it...on and off. Most of the time, the problem won't repeat itself at the dealership. They have replaced motors when they burned out. Tightened the spring which helped. But the bottom line is that there is an engineering issue with the motor. It is sized too small for the large awning and Dometic knows it. At this point they have no fix. It appears that when the temperatures are cool, the motor can handle the work. But when the ambient temps are high (90 degrees and up), the motor overheads and cuts off to "protect" itself. The Winnebago dealer we use has serviced numerous models with this particular issue. They report they have 4 coaches with this problem but that there is no fix at this time. We are currently looking into replacing ours with a 2-Step model (manuel). We also have a wind sensor on ours and have yet to see it function. Perhaps that is because the motor has cut itself off...or maybe it is periodically working too. Who knows???/
Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for your comments.

BUT, I still can't decide!! (:

I am looking at having the A&E 9100 arms, mounts, motor, and switch installed using my 18 foot A&E awning, tube, and cover guard.

So, I have further questions.....

>Is the 9100 motor strong enough?
>I understand with the power awning you can't hang lights, shades, etc. on the awning tube due to access (too high) once out or having to remove them quickly if a wind comes up, correct?
>Has anyone had this done?
>Good idea?
>Different brand??

Someone convince me........ one way or the other!! (:

Signed, Undecided, can't decide, leaning + / -, wavering, edge of fence........
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote