Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all back from a four month stay in galcier national park driving the red busses. have a itasca sunrise with a weather pro power awning. it developed a short and would not open but blew the 15 amp fuse. stopped at winnebago in forest city and they replaced the motor. it worked several times but after a heavy rain storm the awning blew the fuse again. how can i open the awning without the motor and is this problem going to continue to happen. thanks olly
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all back from a four month stay in galcier national park driving the red busses. have a itasca sunrise with a weather pro power awning. it developed a short and would not open but blew the 15 amp fuse. stopped at winnebago in forest city and they replaced the motor. it worked several times but after a heavy rain storm the awning blew the fuse again. how can i open the awning without the motor and is this problem going to continue to happen. thanks olly
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

No knowledge of that specific awning, but after my entry door power awning quit 4 yr ago a dealer found the motor housing was not constructed to drain properly, so the housing would fill up with water when it rained enough. He drilled a drain hole in the bottom of the housing and dried the motor out ...no more problem. I have read of others having the same problem on both door and patio awnings ...sure sounds like a possibility for yours since it happens after a heavy rain.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are directions in the manual telling how to extend or retract the awning my using wires connected to a 12 volt battery.

WeatherPro Instructions

I have only read about it ... I have never done it.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The A&E owner's manual also give instructions on how open/close it manually as I recall.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The user's manual shows how to manually close it ... but not manually open it ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi all this is olly72 again just to let you know that you can use the wires to close the awning but no way to do it to open the awning. when they fixed the motor the first time the guy said you can remove the top screw on the motor side of awning and then manually pull it down. but you have to put a pin in both sides of the top of the awning to lock the tension spring and then have an EXPERT retork the spring. i have down the spring tighttening on a manual awning just not sure of this power awning. thanks again
Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I would think that if you reversed the polarity when connecting the battery on the motor it would open. If it is just the motor that opens it and not some engineering monstrosity that just uses some fancy gears to revers the opening/closing.

I am just thinking, and that is dangerous! But, if the switch provide a positive polarity opening, then the same switch would probably provide a negative polarity when closing. Huh?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote