Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Pounding rattle noise driving me nuts

I saw some similar info about something that seemed similar to this on another thread here but wanted to run it up the pole again. My noise is high, near where the slide meets the wall behind and above the driver- definitly not a mud flap.

My 2104 Itasca Sunstar 31KE has developed an intermittent rattle/rubbing/ponding (light) - and a bit louder than other ambient rattles sound- somewhere near the top forward area of the slide- above and behind where the slide intersects with the wall near the drivers seat. The sound/ rattle is somewhat loud and a bit consistent.

I have been unable to birdog the source and wondered if anyone else had a similar sound and was able to isolate and identify what it might be. I don't think its the slide motor as the slide seems to work perfectly. Yesterday while on the interstate it kicked up again and the mrs was able to apply some pressure to the slide wall area which seemed to mitigate the noise, making me think there was just some minor slop in the slide creating the rattle.She was able to eliminate the noise with w vit of pressure on the slide wall.

I thought I'd try a slide bar to take the slack out as minimal as the movement seems.

I wondered if it might be the forward part of the slide topper canopy or ardware banging around on the outside?????- but have not noticed any weakness there.

Any similar experiences or fixes out there?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Put your hand on the drivers window frame and the wall while driving to see if they move differently , that is where I had a very anoying sound on a 2011 meridian. Window replacement solved it
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mine was the window awning pull (hard plastic insert on the end where the loop is) slapping the sidewall. I learned to pull the strap to one side when I stow the awning, causing the strap to roll tighter with less slack on the loose end.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all- windows seem OK. No pull on this slide topper, but I am still concerned it may be the forward end of the slide topper assembly?????

A real hard sound (and somewhat loud) noise to identify and contend with
Old 03-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had a similar issue only on the passenger side. first I thought it was the door awning. Put in larger screws and tightened. Rattle was still there. Than DW thought it was a rattle inside the entry door. I took entry door apart and found nothing loose there. DW was still complaining. After 2 years of listening to DW complain I finally told here to drive and I would listen for the rattle. We traveled down a country back road and it sounded like the overhead cabinet. I pushed on the cabinet forcing it against the wall and the rattle stopped. I took the backing out of the cabinet and took out the passenger map light and found the long screw fastening it to the wall was stripped. I installed a new screw a size bigger and installed a 2nd screw at a 45º down and the rattle has been gone for a couple of years now.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've read of issues in this and other forums of folks with Schwintek slides who have had 'slapping' noises from the slide mechanism itself when driving down the road. Apparently there are fixes/adjustments that are supposed to fix this.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Chris for the possible target - it does look like the situation is as described by Cass Sumrall on 7-2013 in a thread.

"...the Schwintec track mechanism made by LCI & it is very flexible as mounted & gets to vibrating back & forth & causes the slapping noise. The fix was wrapping the motor at the top & the long rod with the gear on it tat runs the height of the slide with foam to cusion it. It is not actually in the slide wall but in the wall of the coach right next to the slide which acts as a drum resonating the slapping sound into the coach."

This sounds most similar to mine and I am going to birdog this fix next.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

All- I appreciate all the input.
Joe
Old 03-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Pounding rattle stopped.

For me the problem turned out to be the fender for the front wheel. Since they are glued on the glue had come loose and the fender rattled against the metal frame it had been glued to. Drove me crazy for weeks looking in cabinets, windows, furniture, and even the roof since the noise seemed to be coming from on-high. Only takes a moment to check.
royinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Roy- will take a look see there just to make sure - and also as well as the window- but it appears we've isolated it to most likely slop in the motor and shaft for the slide mechanism.

May be a few weeks before I can get onto the slide area as I now have the rig covered as the pines are starting to run sap and its winterized at the moment, But I'll try to remember to come back on and give an update of what I get into once I have the cover off.
Joe