Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Possible Schwintek slide fix

I was talking to a guy in the RV park with a Winne Tour. He was on his fourth Schwintek fix courtesy of Winnebago. As you can imagine, he was really upset that he had an expensive bus that he would have to take a huge bath on to get rid of.

He showed me a possible fix for the problem that had been shown to him by an engineer type that had analyzed the issue. According to the owner the problem with the slide arises from the slide moving while in transit allowing the Schwintek mechanism to shift/jump out of time. I may have had a senior moment while listening, but th fix seems to be working.

The engineer type showed him his fix which was to buy two Dewalt ratchet carpenters clamps and reverse clamps so that it is pushing out, not in. After putting the slide in, he put one clamp at the top and one a bottom on the inside front edge of the slide. This is similar positioning like the old factory slide locks that came with many units.

It was working for him. Might be worth a try.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yes this is one of the fixes that do work. It has been said that Winne has offered these to some people.
The other problem that has been cause be Operators of the system is that they start moving the slide out or in then all of a sudden stop (let go of the switch) however the slide might continue to move on one side and becoming out of synch. At that time the slide locks do you no good.
Once you have started and Out or IN operation of the slides you need to go full travel in order to ensure they stay in synch.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm, interesting. I can't wrap my mind around how the clamps are positioned and are the reverse clamps a separate item? I don't like the idea of tensioning the slide against the inside edge of the cutout opening in the wall. If Winnebago had a metal frame around the cutout perimeter sandwiched inside the wall, fine.

In my uneducated mind tensioning the slide against the edge of the cutout is a disaster resulting in cracking the wall. Where am I wrong? I'd really like to know as we stupidly bought a new 2014 Forza 34T and have had serious issues. A month at the local dealer before we could take it home after signing papers [ do your test drive FIRST ] and a necessary trip to Forest City in service for 3 days and the right large slide STILL comes out an inch at the bottom
after even a short drive!

Should I mention the squeaks and rattles???

There are more issues than the slides too.......the 12 months of the warranty go quickly and the first one was at the dealer.

Just sign me stuck with this depreciating lemon.

Sorry for the rant. I've lurked here for years and was hesitant to join as I knew I wouldn't be able to hold it in. Rv'ing 36 years, our third motorhome and seventh rv.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am a victim of the Shwintek disaster on a 2014 Itasca Meridian 40U. I bought it brand new April 2015. Three months later I was stranded for 3 weeks while it was fixed. I am starting to hear a grinding noise again, and I have only used the slideout about 12 times since the repair. I know it's only a matter of time before it goes out again. I understand, but could be mistaken, that Winnebago is doing the right thing by covering the expense of repair even if it is out-of-warranty. It's been a major issue for them. In April, I will be starting a 6 month road trip. I sure hope it lasts. I have been putting a wood brace on the inside of the coach on both sides of the passenger front slideout while traveling. This was recommended to me by a tech at Camping World. Whenever I extend or retract the slideouts, I make sure I am leveled on jacks, the engine is running, and I NEVER stop once I start, even though the manual says if you need to stop you can.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
I was talking to a guy in the RV park with a Winne Tour. He was on his fourth Schwintek fix courtesy of Winnebago. As you can imagine, he was really upset that he had an expensive bus that he would have to take a huge bath on to get rid of.

He showed me a possible fix for the problem that had been shown to him by an engineer type that had analyzed the issue. According to the owner the problem with the slide arises from the slide moving while in transit allowing the Schwintek mechanism to shift/jump out of time. I may have had a senior moment while listening, but th fix seems to be working.

The engineer type showed him his fix which was to buy two Dewalt ratchet carpenters clamps and reverse clamps so that it is pushing out, not in. After putting the slide in, he put one clamp at the top and one a bottom on the inside front edge of the slide. This is similar positioning like the old factory slide locks that came with many units.

It was working for him. Might be worth a try.

Hi BVThunder... I like your post. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a padded type brace that ratchets. Right now I am using a piece of wood, which I sanded all the rough edges off. I would rather have padding on both ends and a means to ratchet it snuggly.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Rick
Old 01-31-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grumpy- View Post
Hi BVThunder... I like your post. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a padded type brace that ratchets. Right now I am using a piece of wood, which I sanded all the rough edges off. I would rather have padding on both ends and a means to ratchet it snuggly.

Rick

Barn stall mat comes to mind right off the bat.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grumpy- View Post

Rick
A little expensive I know, be give what we pay for these RVs is really isn't much.

Slide Lock for your RV on Sale - PPL Motor Homes
ed rzepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Can someone submit a crude stick figure drawing on how you set this up??
Geoffpruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffpruett View Post
Can someone submit a crude stick figure drawing on how you set this up??
I cut a 1 inch round piece of wood like a clothes hanger rod and put rubber cups on each end. Made it slightly longer than the space and I just wedge one in front and one in back. Not too tight, just enough to keep things snug and not able to move. Just remember to remove these things before trying to move the slide.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Before the advent of the Schwintec slide system almost all slides on Winnebago products had some sort of locking device to keep the slide from moving when the vehicle was in transit.

The earliest models had a strap with an over center lock that hooked to the floor and the inside surface of the slide wall. The next generation models had electric locks that were actuated by a key. The key had to be turned to release the locks before the slide could be activated. The last generation before Schwintec incorporated similar electric locks that were automatically released when the slide extension mechanism was activated.

All these mechanisms went away when Schwintec convinced Winnebago the brakes built into the motor slides were strong enough to keep the slides from moving. When Winnebago realized that the motor brakes weren't strong enough for some applications they started offering manual locking bars to alleviate the problem.

Here are links to some commercially available units used in various applications:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...slide-lock.htm

http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/file...lock_Flier.pdf

There are also ratcheting style bars more typically used to keep the load from shifting in a truck. Here's a link to a carpenters clamp/spreader similar to the one mentioned by the OP:
Bessey DUO45-8 3-1/4" x 18" PowerGrip (PG) Heavy Duty One-Hand Clamp | ToolBarn.com

While these locks do work they pose the same problems al nearly all previous locking mechanisms. Mainly they can be damaged, or cause damage to the slide if they are not removed prior to activating the slide.

Our 2001 Adventurer had the straps with the over center lock. In the 12 years we owned it the brackets the straps hooked to on the floor were torn out 3 times. Ironically all 3 times were done by dealers when we had the motorhome in for service.

Our current 2013 Adventurer has a full wall slide with the Schwintec system. We did have problems early on with the motors going out of sync. Last fall we took it to the Winnebago factory in Forest City IA. They added 2 more rollers under the kitchen island to minimize the cantilevered weight, and removed the rear most roller in the bedroom to make the slide more level front to rear.

The slide has only been in and out a couple dozen times since the fix. So far everything is working fine. We'll be leaving on a month long trip this weekend so it'll get the first real test. Hopefully we'll be able to report back that all is well.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:39 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Try a Slideing Door Security bar. It does the same thing for a lot less. You can pick one up at Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door lock.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	121542  
Old 05-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Inapproiate fix

The idea behind using a clamp or rod to retain the the room slide is well intentioned but flawed. The failure mechanism of the schwinntek slide is not being caused while the slide is retracted. The flaw of the design is due to the rotational load applied to the twin tracks when the room is fully extended. There is sufficient robustness to push the rooms in or out due to the rollers under the room. 'BUT at the far out position the rollers stop supporting the rotational load because there are now no rollers outside. At this point the upper track is under a tension load while the lower track is under a compression load. This load is substantially higher than the minimal horizontal load to move the room out. It appears the materials used in the track/gear are not designed for this peak load. An engineering fix would be to increase the physical surface area of the gear track or add multiple gear tracks, improve the metallurgy of the gear track... or all of the above. Fairly simple engineering but the all have a cost factor. Lee
Leevormelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Slide locks

I think every slide should have one. I have a View 24V with a small slide. About a month ago I was crossing Texas in sever winds. The wind pulled the front end of my slide out by about 6" while the back was still closed. Had to limp to the next exit and messed with it until it closed. It happened a few more times until I limped it to Camping World in San Antonio and bought a couple slide locks for the top and bottom of the leading edge. I know it took some life out of the track system being bound up like it was.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #14
Site Team

I thought that WBGO was replacing Schwintec slide mechanisms on older RVs with Power Gear slides if you take your RV to the factory in Iowa. I know I’ve heard of this happening for some owners. Is this not true?

Seems that every owner of a Winnebago with Schwintec slides would be queuing up for this.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago replaced the schwintec slide on our motor home with the power gear slide, This work was done at the factory without any charge. This was on the full wall slide about three years ago and it has been used a lot, without any problems. The repair man at Winnebago said that the power gear has been very reliable. I would think anyone with the Schwintec slide with problems would have them replaced.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Schwintek Slide Repair

I have my 2014 Adventurer 37F in the shop at this moment because my full slide, drivers side/kitchen/ will not close at the bottom front corner.

I was advised today that the "mechanism" must be replaced and that they were waiting for pricing from Winnebago before they submit my repair to the Extended Warranty Company.

I am wondering, as a 3rd owner of the MH, if anyone knows if Winnebago would still cover the cost of parts and repair as it is a continuing problem shared by about 60% of owners according to a poll on this forum.
Itiswhatitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Itiswhatitis, I would call Winnebago to talk to them about changing to Power Gear and if there is any cost. I have been very happy with the Power Gear that they put on our full wall slide. Also you don't need any locking bar with the Power Gear as it does a very good job of locking in place.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:13 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itiswhatitis View Post
I am wondering, as a 3rd owner of the MH, if anyone knows if Winnebago would still cover the cost of parts and repair as it is a continuing problem shared by about 60% of owners according to a poll on this forum.

I would think that as the third owner, out of the one year warranty and several year old MH they would decline repairing your slide. But the price of asking is cheap.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:08 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your reply's and input
Itiswhatitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

We have had our rig for 3 years and no problems with the slides. We travel 4-6 months a year so they are in and out a lot. One thing we read and do is when taking the slide out or in is not stopping and at the end of the travel hold the button down an extra 10 secs. This syncs the motors.

I have heard that a lot of the problems are the slides are not completely square, not sure what that means though.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide