Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Possible A/C - Vent issue... Insights?

Issue cropped up this weekend while camping.

Pulled into the spot. As I was maneuvering to find the optimal spot I had the vent on (dash vents) to cool off. I leave the engine running as I leveled, put the slides out, etc. When I switched off the engine, a "hiss" or more like very low "AM radio static" sound came from under the dashboard... on the left side, where the back-up camera speaker resides. I checked the volume on the rear camera monitor, it was all the way down/off. The static sound remained for a few minutes and then fell off linear until we could not hear it anymore.

Additional tid-bit: I notice my fan(a/c compressor?) for the vent - A/C comes on every once-and-a-while while driving and the vent A/C is not "on".

Any help/insights would be appreciated!

RV Specs:
2007 Itasca Meridian 36G Freightliner XC w/ Cat C-7
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The doors that divert the air to the floor , dash vents and defroster are all vacuum operated. I think I read that most DP have an electric vacuum pump either under the dash or in a front compartment. If you can hear it try turning just the key on (don't start the engine) and listen for it . It should shut off shortly. Try moving from vent to floor and see if anything happens. You most likely have a hose that is cracked or one that came off the backside of the dash contol. Hope this helps!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

jeepfreak -
You confirmed my assumption... I will have to take the dashboard apart and dig around. Thank you for the response.

I do know the hiss is in the dash; I popped the front cover above my gen and there was absolutely no noise. So it's contained to the dash... which makes it easier.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Before you take the dash apart check the short piece of hose on the heater control valve make sure it is not split,had seen several units with this problem
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

NO1RAINH20:
Thanks for the tip!

Where would I find the heater control valve hose?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Heater Control Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymick View Post
NO1RAINH20:
Thanks for the tip!

Where would I find the heater control valve hose?

luckymick, try this picture. On the right side is the Heater Control Valve which is connected to a heater hose ( top and bottom ). It has a small green vacuume hose connected to it. This is the problem area where you may find the leak.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/2...ir_w_notes.JPG
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks sammie!
Althought the leak noise is coming directly in the area of the speaker for the rear camera. I did not hear any noise in the front compartment (you're picture).

I will check... hopefully tomorrow!

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
luckymick, try this picture. On the right side is the Heater Control Valve which is connected to a heater hose ( top and bottom ). It has a small green vacuume hose connected to it. This is the problem area where you may find the leak.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/2...ir_w_notes.JPG
Thats what fixed mine. I replaced both blue and green with rubber line instead of plastic. Works great