Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Popping sound

We just bought a 2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F. It is the same floorplan and the Adventurer 37F. We currently have it set up in a campground near our home and go there as often as we can. Often, when we walk through the RV, we hear a loud popping sound. We think it may be the auto levelers, but we aren't sure and we don't know if its a normal sound or if its something we should get looked at. We have never had a unit with auto levelers before, so we don't know what to expect and the book is not helpful at all. Has anyone else experienced this noise and what if anything did you do about it? Any info you can give us will be very much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
yup...we have the same sounds in our '16 38Q (same chassis). we hear them mostly at night and I'm ass-u-ming that they're a result of the chassis cooling and contracting.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hubby said that makes sense. It surely is annoying, but as long as it isn't a problem or doesn't create a problem I'm ok with it. Hope you are enjoying your RV. We LOVE ours
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would think that after being parked in a campground for a few days, the chassis cooling noises would have long since abated. It very well could be the levelers; I have seen many reports of jacks making a popping sound when walking around in the RV. I'd suggest applying dry lube to the jack shafts (or whatever lube is recommended by the manufacturer) and checking fluid level.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
i'm assuming that the chassis heats up during the day and cools down at night.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here are a bunch of previous threads on popping noise from jacks. https://www.google.com/search?q=popp...earch=irv2.com

If you have Lippert jacks, they have published a document with a possible fix... https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...heets/0295.pdf That tip sheet was published in 2013, so I would expect the problem to have been addressed in newer models.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I added CAT hydraulic fluid additive after removing a quart of existing fluid, that is what they suggest. The CAT fluid is the best of the choices available and the most expensive. Mine seem to be much better now. It is caused by the expansion of the fluid that expands/contracts and the stichion causes the popping.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:31 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I have never experienced popping sounds from the levelers myself, but a friend with a brand new, high-end fifth wheel, was having popping at his levelers. The dealer tried all sorts of things, fluid changes, new pump, new springs, nothing worked.

Then one day, a worker from the dealer showed up, raised the levelers, placed thick rubber pads directly on the concrete under the levelers, re-leveled the 5er, and all the popping sounds went away.

I do experience popping and cracking sounds every late afternoon/early evening, consistently, if the sun has been beating on the passenger side of the coach during a hot day. I always suspected it was from the cooling of the roof/wall joint so haven't worried about it. A few good cracks/pops, and it is done for that day.