Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Poor Quality Control Winnebago Windshield Installation

My wife and I moved our 2012 Winnebago 42E to Texas for the winter and on the way we encountered a large rock that broke the windshield. This is a large one piece windshield that we had to special order and have replaced when it arrived. We live in Minneapolis and were fortunate to have friends in McAllen that could supervise the repair. When the service company removed the old windshield the found a 5"-6" gap in the rubber track that the windshield sits in. A big glob of white silicone was pumped in to attempt to seal the gap . Water has been pouring in and going onto and under the dash board. Were concerned about electrical problems, mold and rusting of the steel window frame.

We contacted Winnebago and they said the if some problem comes up in the future to give them a call.

It would be nice if the manufacturer would actually stand up and take some responsibility, offer to inspect, offer an appointment for a factory inspection ?? We are concerned that we will at some point have electrical issues and or this will be one of those motorhomes that when you walk in you get blasted with the pungent smell of mold. The dash board is stained where the water has sat in the two months it's been in McAllen.

It's not the fact that we will encounter problems, it's how they get dealt with that really matters. Here it appears that we are on our own...

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winnebago Windshield.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	54420  
Jgraydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If it were me I would be working my way up the Winnebago food chain and pointedly asking Just How are You Going To Make This Right?
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
If it were me I would be working my way up the Winnebago food chain and pointedly asking Just How are You Going To Make This Right?
Wow, I have to agree. I'm really surprised that Winnebago didn't step up to inspect the damage and make this right.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If the problem comes up in the future???

Look at the rusting process already started in the top right of the picture it will not self correct nor will the rusting stop without some serious intervention on the part of somebody
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think that the Winnie factory sure has changed their attitude. They used to have a quality care attitude. Many of us bought based on the quality reputation and followup when prooblems occurred. Unfortunately the current factory employees seem to not care as they are not of the mind set of producing good work and just meet their goa for production.

Keep up the quality lack and there will be a reduction in sales!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgraydon View Post
My wife and I moved our 2012 Winnebago 42E to Texas for the winter and on the way we encountered a large rock that broke the windshield. This is a large one piece windshield that we had to special order and have replaced when it arrived. We live in Minneapolis and were fortunate to have friends in McAllen that could supervise the repair. When the service company removed the old windshield the found a 5"-6" gap in the rubber track that the windshield sits in. A big glob of white silicone was pumped in to attempt to seal the gap . Water has been pouring in and going onto and under the dash board. Were concerned about electrical problems, mold and rusting of the steel window frame.

We contacted Winnebago and they said the if some problem comes up in the future to give them a call.

It would be nice if the manufacturer would actually stand up and take some responsibility, offer to inspect, offer an appointment for a factory inspection ?? We are concerned that we will at some point have electrical issues and or this will be one of those motorhomes that when you walk in you get blasted with the pungent smell of mold. The dash board is stained where the water has sat in the two months it's been in McAllen.

It's not the fact that we will encounter problems, it's how they get dealt with that really matters. Here it appears that we are on our own...

John.
Are you the original owners? If not it's possible a previous owner had the same problem and the replacement windshield wasn't installed properly.

If you are the original owners I would take lots of detailed pictures throughout the removal, repair, and replacement process. That way if something bad does happen in the future you have the problem well documented. Be sure to take pictures of the old windshield including the manufacturers name. That way there will be no doubt as to whether it was the original.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have to agree with Shadowcatche. I would be sitting in the parking lot in Forest City the first chance I get & I wouldn't leave until this was repaired properly. They have an obligation to make this right. Also I would insist I over look the complete repair process.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgraydon View Post

John.
That looks like a picture of the top of the windsheild opening with the defrost fan in the picture. The windsheild is set in epoxy directly to the steel frame while the rubber channel only holds the decorative rubber trim in place. Was water infiltrating before the windshield was cracked or after? The white caulk should only be there to prevent streaking down the middle of the glass from any runoff caught by the decorative insert. Water should have been visibly dripping down the middle of inside of the windshield is it was leaking there.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSouthw524 View Post
I think that the Winnie factory sure has changed their attitude. They used to have a quality care attitude. Many of us bought based on the quality reputation and followup when prooblems occurred. Unfortunately the current factory employees seem to not care as they are not of the mind set of producing good work and just meet their goa for production.

Keep up the quality lack and there will be a reduction in sales!
While the typical windshield issue on these forums is not related to what the OP states in this thread, I can tell you first-hand that Winnebago is not the company that it used to be regarding customer care, at least in regards to rusted windshield frames and leaks. I tried in vein to get any kind of help, since the rusted windshield frames on 1999-2009 two-piece windshields is a common problem. Nothing but denials, and hung up during my third phone call to them, asking for assistance. Tech having a bad day? Maybe, but that still isn't how you deal with design flaws, quality issues and customers. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Your all correct, ever since the past President stepped down, the thinking at the factory has changed. It used to be " what can we do to make you happy"
Now it is "how much money can we get out of you." I'm on my third Winnebago and all have had windshield problems. They will not stand behind this issue and bad design. While this is probably my last coach, it will be my last Winnebago, because, of the change in the attitude of the people at the factory.
Candoitoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
TAN
Winnebago Owner

Our motor home was just a few months old when we had stress cracks in our front bumber on both sides. Winnebago did nothing about it. Cost me $2200.00 to fix it. I made many calls to winnebago but they would do nothing. Not much of a company!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I think Winnebago makes a quality product. Having said that, their customer service is lacking. I had a 2007 Itasca Cambria that had a pretty severe leak around the skylight (rooftop). Unfortunately, I live in sunny California and we had not had a good rainstorm when I had the motorhome out to realize I had this problem within the one year warranty period. I finally noticed the leak and took it to my RV dealership who inspected the roof and water pressure tested it. They could not find where it was leaking and told me it would cost me $150 to re-caulk around skylight and any other object near the suspected leak area. Both the RV dealership and I inspected the roof prior to the re-caulking and did not notice any obvious signs in the manufacture's caulking job. After the re-caulking, the problem was solved.

I contact Winnebago and requested some assistance with the cost. I got the standard line - Sorry, the roof caulking is only guaranteed for one year. I tried to explain about living in sunny California and that I was an occasional RV'er, but that did not help. I even suggested splitting the cost (50-50), but they would not assist.

This occurred almost 5 years ago, and I obviously still have not forgotten this negative experience.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Not all claims are handled the same from Winnebago. I bought my 2013 Journey new in January 2013. During the precheck at purchase, I noticed the generator cowling was not adjusted correctly & had worn the paint off the front of the coach. It took a call & a couple of pictures to Winnebago from the dealers service tech to get approval to adjust & repaint the front. Which was completed by a local body shop. I also thought I had a windshield leaking air, With approval from Winnebago again the dealer pressure tested & resealed the windshield. I wasn't happy with the wind noise & they called Winnebago again & got approval to water test & removed the windshield if necessary. Turned out there were no leaks this time just the air coming around the mirror & the drain holes for the side window.
I'm not saying there has been a change at Winnebago, but I do think it could come down to the trust Winnebago has in the dealership that is reporting the damage/fault or even in the way it is presented to Winnebago for their approval. I honestly don't know why some complaints get handled and some don't this is just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Not all claims are handled the same from Winnebago. I bought my 2013 Journey new in January 2013. During the precheck at purchase, I noticed the generator cowling was not adjusted correctly & had worn the paint off the front of the coach. It took a call & a couple of pictures to Winnebago from the dealers service tech to get approval to adjust & repaint the front. Which was completed by a local body shop. I also thought I had a windshield leaking air, With approval from Winnebago again the dealer pressure tested & resealed the windshield. I wasn't happy with the wind noise & they called Winnebago again & got approval to water test & removed the windshield if necessary. Turned out there were no leaks this time just the air coming around the mirror & the drain holes for the side window.
I'm not saying there has been a change at Winnebago, but I do think it could come down to the trust Winnebago has in the dealership that is reporting the damage/fault or even in the way it is presented to Winnebago for their approval. I honestly don't know why some complaints get handled and some don't this is just my opinion.
The documentation that goes along with claims also has an influence on what decisions are made by the company. We have been very careful to document any problems with dates, times, and photographs whenever possible. The documentation not only gives the technician a place to begin, it in most cases is forwarded to the corporate headquarters to verify that the customer has a legitimate problem.

Many times customers believe they have a problem when a component doesn't operate the way a previous version did. There's also the perception of how a component should or shouldn't operate. An example might be an HD TV. While the television itself is HD capable it won't display in HD unless program is transmitted and received in HD. I've seen cases where the satellite dish or dome ordered by a customer isn't HD capable while the TV is. I've also seen situations where a customer believes because they have an HD system they think any program they watch should be in HD.

In these types of cases the equipment doesn't meet the expectations of the customer, but it does operate as designed. It presents the dealer or factory service center with a difficult situation. The customer isn't happy, but there's little or nothing the service department can correct.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Our AC leaked water into the ceiling of our coach starting the second day of ownership. They have had most every part of the AC unit replaced (some parts multiple times) this has gone on for over 6 months. They refuse to replace the entire AC unit and refuse to replace the soaked ceiling panels (I sent video of water dripping from around the ceiling light fixtures) they said if I had a problem with the ceiling later they would take care of it but would not put that in writing.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Our AC leaked water into the ceiling of our coach starting the second day of ownership. They have had most every part of the AC unit replaced (some parts multiple times) this has gone on for over 6 months. They refuse to replace the entire AC unit and refuse to replace the soaked ceiling panels (I sent video of water dripping from around the ceiling light fixtures) they said if I had a problem with the ceiling later they would take care of it but would not put that in writing.
Who is the "they" you are referring to? I can't believe the factory service center or the selling dealer would say something like. I can however believe that if you took it to someplace other than where you bought it you might get that kind of treatment. We had a dealer I our home town that refused to work on any unit they didn't sell.

Make sure you contact the Winnebago service center in Forest City Iowa before your warranty runs out. Get a service representatives name, phone number and e mail address, and use that person as your contact for further communications. Send that person the video and any still photos to document your problem.

We've found the people at the factory service center very responsive when you include documentation.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Who is the "they" you are referring to? I can't believe the factory service center or the selling dealer would say something like. I can however believe that if you took it to someplace other than where you bought it you might get that kind of treatment. We had a dealer I our home town that refused to work on any unit they didn't sell.

Make sure you contact the Winnebago service center in Forest City Iowa before your warranty runs out. Get a service representatives name, phone number and e mail address, and use that person as your contact for further communications. Send that person the video and any still photos to document your problem.

We've found the people at the factory service center very responsive when you include documentation.
The "they" is referring to Winnebago owner relations. I am now at a different dealer and have had more work completed in the last month (without an appointment) than in 13 weeks at the selling dealer with appointments (camping world). Winnebago said they could not authorize
A new AC unit only coleman can ( I could not believe this either) Winnebago also told me there is nothing in the ceiling water would hurt only styrofoam I pointed out in an email the risk of mold and the fact louan with foam glued to it don't mix well with water . Winnebago will not authorize a new AC or rnr of the ceiling
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Fla tom, Call Eric Botts at RVP (RV Products) at Airxcel. The only number I have is (316) 832-3400. This is Coleman. Eric Botts is one of the customer service techs that should be able to help you. He helped me & several other people here with problems with our heat pumps.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Absolutely agree. Everytime I documented w/pictures emailed to Winnebago OR, they responded well. Trying to work through ANY dealer w/Winnebago NEVER worked well ...dealer akways told me "they said no."

I will say the op's picture puzzles me as I can see no evidence the glass was glued to the metal frame, AND I have never seen a windshield installed with rubber molding with a split in the molding at the top. My rubber molding is one piece across both top and bottom. Looking at the pic, the gap, and the caulk job, if this is a previously owned coach, I suspect the glass was replaced and done improperly. If the op bought it new, I suspect the dealer replaced the glass and did it poorly.

I bought my coach "new", and later discovered one side of the windshield had been replaced, and at least part of the front repainted ...Winnie had no record of such work, and the dealer denied knowing anything about it.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #20
2007 Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have to agree with Shadowcatche. I would be sitting in the parking lot in Forest City the first chance I get & I wouldn't leave until this was repaired properly. They have an obligation to make this right. Also I would insist I over look the complete repair process.
We have a 2007 Voyage and have been sitting in the parking lot of Winnebago in Forest City since Sep 8, 2015 to fix our windshield and damage done due to a lightning strike, both happening in July. Rust on the frame caused the windshield to crack and our insurance company stated that they would not cover any future claims of broken glass due to rust corrosion. Winnebago is taking no responsibility for the manufacturing design flaw of NOT priming the metal before installing the windshield. They have dragged their feet in submitting the insurance documentation due to our electrical problems caused by lightning and just submitted it yesterday.

We agree that there is no recompense for their customers, and no concern for quality control. Many technicians have quit, they can't get a CEO, and service reps are yes men with no intention of assuring quality of work. We've seen many folks here for weeks, only to come back after 1 to 200 miles down the road for the same issue they came in with!!!

I love my coach, but I would never buy another Winnebago!
ensmitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, quality, winnebago