Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wondering if anyone is using CAT's Pocket TEC package with a PDA and how they feel about it. Found that Don and Joe had a brief thread going last July but not much activity on it.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wondering if anyone is using CAT's Pocket TEC package with a PDA and how they feel about it. Found that Don and Joe had a brief thread going last July but not much activity on it.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 08-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick,
Just wrote on this subject, see "Journey 36G v. 39F vs Adventure 38J"
Old 08-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a handy qizmo. What's the cost of the Pocket Tec? Didn't see any place to order on the CAT web site - assume you buy from local CAT dealer??
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hi tomsm,
Must say, I can't remember the prices! Had to purchase the Palm Pilot and Pocket Tec separately. At the time, the adapter available would only work with up to the Palm 515. Had a bit of trouble finding one but did. I think there is now a base that will work with the Zire and Tungsten models. Yes, the Pocket Tec is very hard to find on CAT's web site. Try this link - http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=58840&x=7 -. Check out the ˜FAQS' and the ˜Brochures & Media' pages as well as other links on those pages. I had to order the Pocket Tec Fleet version from the local CAT dealer. It comes with software for the Palm and a cable with a plug to connect under the dash or at the engine (look for a gray connector cover on the bulkhead above the engine coolant reservoir). The other end of the cable has an RJ11 connector that plugs into a base to connect the Palm to. I have booth types of cables, the 6 pin and 9 pin. The 6 pin was used on the 03 Journey and the 9 pin is for newer units. I've used the Pocket Tec to check other RV'ers engine setups and to read out error logs. Pretty handy!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mark,
Thanks for the pointer. Will do a bit of shopping tomorrow. How's the weather over your way. Looking for someplace a bit cooler than home for a long weekend.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 08-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I bought a PDA (a "new" older model that would work with PocketTec and then decided to not get the software because it is priced pretty high in Canada.

Don
Old 08-10-2005, 06:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick and Don,
Nice weather here, we spent last week end in the N.E. corner of Catron county with the highs in the low 80's and down to 60 at night. Light shower just before we left Sunday afternoon. Not much higher here in Albuquerque. The ˜RIM' should be much cooler than Tucson this time of year, why not try Show Low or Snowflake for the week end or even Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff? Don, do you have access to a CAT dealer in the States? I don't know how much if any you could save but CAT seems to want to recover their R & D over and over and over again. Just found the receipt from Wagner Equipment Co. for $513.97 + tax dated 9-11-03 for part number 221-1603. Since then, I ordered the other cable with 9 pins for the C7 engine and I can't remember what it cost.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mark,

Wow, they sure are proud of that puppy. Think I may revisit the VMSPC SW for the laptop and do a comparison.

Showlow and Lakeside used to be great but the Phoenix Valley folks have changed it so much that it is always crowded and way too busy for me.

Thinking about Canyon De Chelly maybe next weekend or one after. Need a long weekend but want to avoid Labor Day. Maybe Silver City.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Mark, as I recall it was almost $600 Cdn with cable. We are considereding trading our MH so I'm not going to do anything until we make up our mind.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick,
South of Silver City, N.M. is a place called ˜City of Rocks'. Weird place, not usually crowded at all and worth an overnighter just to scratch your head over those big rocks. I am in complete agreement on Show Low. Remembering 30 years ago, this little town with businesses going under for lack of growth. Now the Hospital is 4 miles south of town on the road into the White Mountains and its solid town all the way to it. The town also stretches to the Air Port on the east. Landed there 22 years ago for fuel (Cessna 152, 80 mph headwinds and couldn't make Mesa) and didn't see any town near. Love Canyon De Chelly and can't imagine it being very crowded, but I'm not too sure about camp grounds. There used to be a Motel close to the mouth of the canyon that had camp sites and maybe hookups but its been a while since we were there. The hike down to the bottom at De Chelly and Walnut Canyon are fairly easy and well worth the effort. Bisbee? Enjoy!!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hi Don,
By all means, wait to see which engine you get. Cummins has their own version of the Pocket Tec concept and I'm sure there are third party outfits with similar devices. I looked at the VMSpc but never called for pricing. It seems as though the software is free and what you pay for is the ˜CAN Bus to Serial or USB' interface. Technically the interface isn't ˜Rocket Science', we use ˜CAN Bus' in X-Ray equipment. But it's not something you can kluge together in an RV's basement workshop! Dony just reminded me that the $500+ price tag for the Pocket Tec seemed high at the time but that I use it every time we go anywhere. Being able to read out instantaneous MPG, set cruse speed, GPH, and many other parameters is worth it to me. With 46,000 miles on the Journey and 34,000 on the Horizon, that works out to less than a penny a mile. Let us know what you decide.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Mark,

I've read of an exhaust brake mode that allows you to coast with the exhaust brake switch on. It applies the exhaust brake only when you apply the service brakes and keeps it on till you touch the accelerator or, I assume, turn the eb switch off. Is this the "latch" mode that you refered to on the other thread? If so, and you've used it and like it, I think I'll have Freightliner pregram mine that way the next time it's in for service.

Would like to have the Pocket Tec, but since I already have the TripTek, it's hard to justify the additional bucks.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Hi Tom,
That's 'Latch' mode, comes factory set I think to 'Coast'(maybe 'Manual'?). With 'Coast', the engine brake comes on when you let off the accelerator(?). Too aggressive. Easy to change with Pocket Tec, you can also set the time delay for the brake to come on after stepping on the service brake. A lot less jerkiness and a little less wear and tear on the Allison with theoretically better mileage. You can also turn on and off the 'Soft Cruise'. When off, the set cruise speed is held a little tighter. The 'Low Cruise Speed Set Limit' can be as low as 15 MPH. Great for long 25 MPH speed zones.