Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone had the accordian type pleated windshield drapes cleaned professionally or otherwise?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone had the accordian type pleated windshield drapes cleaned professionally or otherwise?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

We haven't cleaned ours yet. I did talk with a good friend who also makes drapes. His advice was to soa them with a mild detergent (like Woolite) in cold water. rinse in cold water until all soap is gone then hang like they hang in the coach to dry. If you use a washing machine do not agitate more than 30 seconds. Do not use a dryer. Do not have dry cleaned. I haven't tried this yet but I trust his judgerment and instructions.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Good advice Kix. We washed ours shortly after we got the coach - they were pretty well watermarked from the previous owner leaving the windows open during rainy weather. Surprisingly, washing them by hand with Woolite cleaned them up great. We hung them up to dry and they look like new!

Actually the hardest part was getting them off the track around the windshield. Had to drill out the pop rivets that hold the end stops on the track to remove them, then pop rivet them back on after reinstallation.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVJeeper:
Good advice Kix. We washed ours shortly after we got the coach - they were pretty well watermarked from the previous owner leaving the windows open during rainy weather. Surprisingly, washing them by hand with Woolite cleaned them up great. We hung them up to dry and they look like new!

Actually the hardest part was getting them off the track around the windshield. Had to drill out the pop rivets that hold the end stops on the track to remove them, then pop rivet them back on after reinstallation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RVJeeper;

Off thread, but it looks like you have the same model (except I have the Winnebago) MH as I do. Does your rear heat pump come on when using generator power?

Thank you,
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
Off thread, but it looks like you have the same model (except I have the Winnebago) MH as I do. Does your rear heat pump come on when using generator power? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard: Unfortunately we don't have the heat pump option in our A/C units so I can't help you out with an answer.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Has anyone replaced the accordian style with something else?? I saw a MH that had a patterned drape, so I assume it was cloth??

I really, really want to eliminate the existing drape with something that would be much easier to close and to wash.

Any ideas??

dylansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Forgive the off topic - On my previous adventurer which I bought used, the first thing I did was take off the orig front curtains and then make my own. Since I'm into dogs, I used some dog print fabric.
I bought black out fabric ( rubberized backing for thermal properties and light blocking )
I cut the panels to size and serged the black out peices and then serged the print fabric parts together -- then I sewed a hem on the printed part and then attached the black out fabric. When that was done I sewed on some glide tape from an rv store. Then some UV blocking spray I found in Joann etc store to protect the fabric from fading.
Worked great and I got lots of compliments.

I just downsized to the access class c and made some new curtains that used velcro to attach to the top of the windshield since I couldn't get the glide track in that type of cab.
My next project is to make some for the bedroom and dining area to use instead of the day/night pulldown shades. The pulldown shades don't really allow you to block out the sun from the part of the window that doesn't open while you keep the screen part open for air. I am thinking curtain rods for them attached inside the covering for the day night shades, but haven't really studied what options there might be for mounting those curtains yet. If I can I will leave the day/nights in place and set up the curtains around them.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote