Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #1

Please do your homework

I read a lot of the posts ;; Interesting, Most Are just common complaints. Some will complain of the carpet, some of no carpet; The list goes on and on, One that keeps comming up is the RUST/frame issue.. (after a year/week Whatever) It keeps rearing its head;; I must ask. Why buyers of a $100000.00 to $4000000.00 Purchase don't take a minute to drop down and look at the under frame.. To see if it has been painted/undercoated.They wait/me included for a year or so then Put the blame on the manufactor. DAAAA.., As a buyer You/I need to look it over as to what we are buying. and assume nothing.. the word ASS U ME.. should not be used; Check what you are buying.. Life is good..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can answer that in part: Undercoating may actually INCREASE the odds of rust, It is not what you think it is.. Now there is also rustproofing, (IE: Zebart) this too, if not done properly, can increase the odds of rust. (Zebart usually does a good job but not all rustproffers do).

The best way to avoid rust is to winterize properly.. There are 3 popular methods of winterizing.

Wet method: Put pink stuff in all the lines and so on

Dry method: Pink the drains and traps, air in the lines (Way better in my book)

S-Method (Best method) Strap a snow blower to the front, drive SOUTH till someone looks strangly at it, scratches their head and says "What the @(*# Is that Thing".

IN that are.. they do not salt the roads.

I'm John FROM Detorit.. Detroit is in Michigan where vehicles get "Michigan Cancer" from the salt on the roads. I have seen roads WHITE with salt in the wintertime there.

Down where I'm currently parked it is 63 degrees as I type. The low this winter was 25, and it was not raining or snowing so they did not salt, NOT the low last night (That was much warmer) the LOW THIS WINTER!. That was on the night of Jan-2, when I arrived (From farther south, it was 27 there that night) .
Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I'm no expert concerning salted roads, but it appears if a new unit is driven on them and then not properly treated, the salt corrosion/damage will not show up until another year or so later.

Undercoating is an optional upgrade/charge. If the vehicle was driven in salt and then undercoated, seams damage would still occur.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Speaking only of Winnebago, their chasis are parked in a huge field and as they are needed they are then brought into the plant for construction. I live some 2000 miles from the plant in California so I can only assume that during the transportation drive adverse weather is encountered,spelled salty roads. I would also assume the dealers ignore this situation, make the outside look good and reap their profit.

Don,WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would have to agree of checking the underside before you purchase. Although I didn't do that, with ours being now 8 years old our underside is nearly unscathed. No rust or anything else to complain about and I guess that's a good thing. Before anyone asks, NO it was not undercoated. Pretty lucky I guess.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bachler, how dare you speak the truth !!

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Speaking only of Winnebago, their chasis are parked in a huge field and as they are needed they are then brought into the plant for construction. I live some 2000 miles from the plant in California so I can only assume that during the transportation drive adverse weather is encountered,spelled salty roads. I would also assume the dealers ignore this situation, make the outside look good and reap their profit.

Don,WIT 70041
you hit it on the head. then when they deliver it to the dealer , it most of time comes out of indiana where the snow and salt can be bad during the fall and winter. thats when mine was delivered to albany new york, and it had its coating of salt. just for starts, the outside compartment locks wouldn' work because of salt.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Those that excuse the rust photos that I have seen are living in the past. Most can remember cars in the northern states during 60' s, 70's & 80's rusting out in just 2 or 3 three years. Improved manufacturing techniques & coatings have almost eliminated rust out on cars of today.

RV manufacturers are not doing an effective job compared to the automobile industry. There is just no excuse for the rusting & corrosion seen on some of the RV posts.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I know that several brands are manufactured in the northern US...not only Winnebago. Why aren't the other manufacturers having the same issues with rust?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I read a lot of the posts ;; Interesting, Most Are just common complaints. Some will complain of the carpet, some of no carpet; The list goes on and on, One that keeps comming up is the RUST/frame issue.. (after a year/week Whatever) It keeps rearing its head;; I must ask. Why buyers of a $100000.00 to $4000000.00 Purchase don't take a minute to drop down and look at the under frame.. To see if it has been painted/undercoated.They wait/me included for a year or so then Put the blame on the manufactor. DAAAA.., As a buyer You/I need to look it over as to what we are buying. and assume nothing.. the word ASS U ME.. should not be used; Check what you are buying.. Life is good..
I am going to ASS U ME you are directing this question at me and I will try to answer it since I did not crawl under my brand new coach in 20 degree weather, with two small children, and not being a mechanic probably wouldn't have know what I was looking for anyway. As far as I could tell it was all painted black with various parts showing.
In fact I never crawled under any of my new cars, never my New Chevy Suburban, or my husbands new Chevy Silverado, Or my new jeep commander a few years back. Never crawled under any of them at all. They were brand new, and not "assumed", but EXPECTED to be in "brand New' condition. After all I was not buying used.

Now a few cars I have crawled under in the last few years, and not just ASS U MED.... were my 1953 Chevy Bellaire, a 1971 Plymouth Road Runner, and my 1971 Chevy K5 blazer.
I crawled under them specifically looking for rust, expecting to deal with some rust. Also finding a ton of rust. As you would expect on 40-50 year old cars. I can still tell you that none of the compare to my Coach.

So until you are put in the situation I am in, or one similar you will probably never understand. I can agree with you on one thing though, life is good, in fact it is great. What ever the outcome is on my vehicle will be the right one.
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I know that several brands are manufactured in the northern US...not only Winnebago.
Interesting statement, as I'm curious which other Motorhome brands are manufactured in the Northern US?
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I never crawled under any of my new cars
I'm with you. And I am not going to crawl around under a motorhome either. IMO, someone buying a machine as complex as a motorhome should not expect to be in a "catch me if you can" game with the manufacturer. If I felt that a manufacturer was so untrustworthy, I would not be buying their product. If the product fails prematurely, of course they will hear from me. To find fault because a buyer did not crawl on the ground inspecting the underside of a unit seems a bit harsh to me. JMO.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #13

Nevermind the rust post... but...

People come here when they are having trouble, looking for a solution.
They don't usually search and read for hours, they might a little, but then they post up.
The vast majority are not trained (self or otherwise) mechanics.
Many are not accomplished do it yourselfers.

Those who hang out here and are trained mechanics and or accomplished do it your selfers should either take the time to offer meaningful and helpful suggestions based on perceptions of the ability of the poster, or just stay in your corner and shut up.

Don't EVER reply with a "do a search, that's been posted here a zillion times.
I don't care if you are right and it has, if that's the best you can do, just stay home.

One of my biggest peeves is the "who's responsibility is that" syndrome. When my kids do it, it's the "it's not my fault" syndome.
It takes a lot of restaint on my part not to remind posters that:
The warrantee is 1 year.
The manufacturer went out of business, they are no longer responsible.
you bought a used coach. you did a PDI before you paid for it, you saw that everything worked before you gave them a penny, and the warrantee lasted until the rear wheels cleared the curb on the way out of thier lot.

But people don't want to hear that, let's just help them if we can, or refrain from comment if we have nbothing useful to add.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Don't EVER reply with a "do a search, that's been posted here a zillion times.
I don't care if you are right and it has, if that's the best you can do, just stay home.
Wow.

The limited thoughts posted in one thread may not provide a full or complete answer to a common question. Being informed that there are "zillions" of other posts may provide you with a much more complete and accurate answer to your question.

Posters have no way of knowing if you know that many more answers exist (beyond the original one thread) and may suggest that you do a search to find more answers and thoughts to your question. Hence, "just stay home" would deprive you of what you in fact came here for.

Rehashing the answers to common questions over and over by "Those who hang out here and are trained mechanics and or accomplished do it your selfers" is not the best use of their time either. People who provide answers are volunteering their time to help people with questions out. And, usually try to do so in the most efficient and most complete manner possible.

Respecting the time these knowledgeable people put in to answering as well as respecting the desire of those asking questions to get the best possible answers seems to be the best approach.

Being informed there are "zillions" of existing posts certainly accomplishes both.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Guess we know know the world according to Jim. Stay home, shut up & stay in your corner. Thanks Jim.............I need your instructions.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Some of the responses on these forums seem harsh to me at times. Since I am only reading words and not hearing the tone of the voice or looking at the poster, I try to ignore them. If you take a minute to read your response before posting maybe your response can be reworded so it doesn't seem so harsh. Just one mans opinion.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #17

Please let me be clear... I am not trying to make a personal attack on anyone.. If you would please all read the thread heading. Base your responce on that...
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Some of the responses on these forums seem harsh to me at times. Since I am only reading words and not hearing the tone of the voice or looking at the poster, I try to ignore them. If you take a minute to read your response before posting maybe your response can be reworded so it doesn't seem so harsh. Just one mans opinion.
Thank you; I totally agree.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver View Post
Interesting statement, as I'm curious which other Motorhome brands are manufactured in the Northern US?
Well, Fleetwood RVs are manufactured in Indiana, and I believe Newmars are as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Naaaaa!
Not today.
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote