Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Looks like Winnie likes to use suppliers that use cheap plastics. First the headlights, and the center mounted stoplamp. Now the black outside mirror housing (plastic shell) is faded and ugly. Can I just use a spray paint. black, semi gloss? Do I need to sand it, prime it first? Anyone else done this?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Looks like Winnie likes to use suppliers that use cheap plastics. First the headlights, and the center mounted stoplamp. Now the black outside mirror housing (plastic shell) is faded and ugly. Can I just use a spray paint. black, semi gloss? Do I need to sand it, prime it first? Anyone else done this?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Our miror shells came painted semi gloss black from the factory. After several years the paint is cracking a bit but you'de have to be standing within a couple feet of the coach to notice it.

We park the coach in a garage where the entry door has only 1/4" clearance on either side of the mirrors when they're folded in. I was so certain I'd damage one some day I bought a pair of mirrors at the Winnebago surplus store. They were only $10.00 each. They are heated remote electric mirrors. Complete with all the wiring, glass mounting brackets, and hardware. It's almost cheaper than buying the paint.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Before you go to all that trouble try this:
Meguiars makes a product for plastic restoration PlastX clear plastic clearner and polish. It comes in a squeeze bottle. It is the same product you use on isenglass for boats. I used it on my faded Plastic mirrors on my other coach and found it worked great. Another cheap trick is use some Crest toothpaste (original formula only). That also works well. Use only micro-fibers to both polish and remove. Good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The mirrors on our unit were badly faded too. I use "ICE" paste wax on the entire coach and it made the black mirrors look almost like new. "ICE" is a great paste wax, you can even use it on black cladding on a car and it doesn't leave a white residue. I haven't used the liquid, just the paste wax.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

My black mirrors were a little faded. Then I had an encounter with a sign that was wider than a traffic divider and one mirror acquired some light scratches and white paint. I used turtle wax polishing compound and the mirrors came out looking better than the day I took delivery.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hikerdog,

Does the Winnie surplus store have a website? My wife asked me to price chrome mirrors. Just the mirror heads from mfg are over $400 each. With arms they are over $700. In my mind the old saying, "Black is beautiful" has an whole new meaning; like $1,400 worth of meaning.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We just bought a bus mirror from the factory, just heated mirror part in shell. $334 arms and all would have been $481. Delivery truck knocked it off. We are going to the surplus store in June.Don't believe there is a website,lots of piles of items, many from older models. We also used Turtle compound on a faded truck mirror and it came back good as new.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Used that 303 aerospace stuff on my last rv when I washed it and they always came out looking good.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I use Armoral on all my black plastic, door handles,mirrors etc. It works great.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote