Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have several small pin holes in my alluminum roof in spots that look like hail made demples and it then corroded with standing water.

What is the best way to go about fixing this, a dealer employee told me around $5K to fix it at the dealer. There has to a way to fix it that is not that much.
Also I talked to a guy that sprays in truck bed liners he said he could fix with that stuff for $1200. anyone have any exsperiance with that for a roof over the alluminum?

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have several small pin holes in my alluminum roof in spots that look like hail made demples and it then corroded with standing water.

What is the best way to go about fixing this, a dealer employee told me around $5K to fix it at the dealer. There has to a way to fix it that is not that much.
Also I talked to a guy that sprays in truck bed liners he said he could fix with that stuff for $1200. anyone have any exsperiance with that for a roof over the alluminum?

DFW, Texas
Old 01-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If it's only in spots and it's up on the roof you can patch it. When I was a diesel mechanic we patched plenty of aluminum roofs on top of semi trailers. If there were any cracks we drilled a small hole in the end to keep them from extending. Then we just applied roof tar over them along with a fiberglass mesh. It held great. It wouldn't look too cute on the side of your RV but up on the roof where no one sees it, it'll be fine. And, very inexpensive.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Use ETERNABOND
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ok so tar and fibermess and or eternabond what ever that is?
Well that sounds better then 5K or $1200. I give it a try.

I also just noticed that half of ceiling lights dont work and no blown fuses or tripped breakers. These are the 12 inch or what ever floresent lights, every other works and every other is inop? Any clues on this problem?

DFW, Texas
Old 01-14-2006, 03:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dougmyers:
Ok so tar and fibermess and or eternabond what ever that is?
Well that sounds better then 5K or $1200. I give it a try.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug,

Check out the Eternabond web site at: http://www.eternabond.com/

I have used similar products when building aluminum porches from stress skin panels and will never go back to using a caulk on the roof. I plan on doing a pre-emptive strike and will Eternabond my front and back roof-to-cap seams in the very near future.

It is a bit more expensive than the roof tar method but is much cleaner and should last longer. Remember to do as Mark recommended and drill a small hole at each end of any cracks to prevent them from spreading.

You can purchase directly from Eternabond or if you are near a Camping World may find it locally on their shelves.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...fm?prodID=1627

Regards,

Neil
Old 01-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Doug;
I would NOT use any tar product unless you want to remove it every other year and re-apply. My humble opinion, and experience with roof tar is why I say this. The reason is that the tar products tend to set up with time and become brittle and crack. It will seperate from the aluminum with the expansion and contractions of the aluminum roof.

Like the others have said, use the eternabond product. It can also be purchased at Camping World. It is a very sticky tape product. Follow the instructions carefully. Once applied you won't have to worry about any leaks ever.
Good Luck.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

OK the eternabond alluminum backed tape is ordered and should be in next week.
I guess I will clean the RTV sealant I put on the holes off and scotch brite the spots to clean before applying the tape, that should do it I think!

Thanks guys and gals for the info and advice I know I am on the right track now!

DFW, Texas
Old 01-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Since I'm from CA I have little experience with hail storms and after reading this post I was wondering what the impact of hail would be on fiberglass roofs and for that matter sides.

Nick
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I would only be guessing about it with a motor home and hail on fiberglass but I would think it would take a pretty big hail to damage it.
Might chip the gell coat some but that is not to hard to fix. The slides I have no idea.

DFW, Texas
Old 01-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We had a hail storm with about 3/4" hail a few years ago on our Chieftain. No damage to the roof, had one hole in a horizontal surface on the front cap just above the left headlamp. Fixed it with some Bondo (sp).

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Your insurance should cover hail damage.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ask your local dealer to price out 2 part liquid rubber roof. Should be about $400 for the materials. This stuff is called Liquid Roof by Pro Guard coatings and is a 2 part chemically curing EPDM rubber roof. It is applied with a roller of brush and has a 20 year guarantee.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zertrider:
Ask your local dealer to price out 2 part liquid rubber roof. Should be about $400 for the materials. This stuff is called Liquid Roof by Pro Guard coatings and is a 2 part chemically curing EPDM rubber roof. It is applied with a roller of brush and has a 20 year guarantee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
============================

I have some of that roof seal tape on order now but if that dont get it I will try your stuff next!..............Thanks

DFW, Texas
Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Eternabond is a high-tech micro-sealant fusion tape originally designed to create water-sealed corrosion-proof pipes and stanchions under the ocean. This adhesive is so advanced the tape has even been installed under water with perfect results!

Eternabond sticks to ANY surface except silicone!
It works on all metals, PVC, EPDM, TPO, CPE, SBS, APP modified, asphalt and coal tar BURs, tile and shingle, concrete and brick, and wood.

Eternabond is guaranteed for 10 years and boasts the following properties:

flexible to –70 deg F
sag rate above +200 deg F
creates waterproof airtight seal
UV and environmentally stable
used in industry for over 10 years
pressure activated
install down to 40 deg F ambient
useable shelf life of five years +
Installation of Eternabond is as quick and easy as using a piece of tape! Eternabond does not ooze or streak and can be installed to a clean, dry surface down to –20 degrees F, yielding professional results for anyone. There is nothing like it available anywhere!