Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The co-pilots eyes should also be on the road. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree...the copilot SHOULD scan ahead from time to time as well. BUT..."I" also believe the copilot that monitors other things going on with the coach, just may see something that can save trouble down the road. This way, the coach can be pulled off the road BEFORE there's a tragedy! Just one MORE humble opinion!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

All joking aside, an accident is possible. And more possible with distraction to the driver and co-pilot.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ppeter313:
As I recall, my driver training taught me not to stare straight ahead, but to constantly scan between ahead, the right side, the rear view mirror, the gauges,and the left side. The VMSPC is a major leap ahead of the analog gauges peeking out through the steering wheel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly! We do not focus on one point. The eyes are constantly moving. I learned to fly about 20 years ago and we were taught to scan. You scan the instruments, you look left, right, up down. The eyes are constantly in motion. The instrumentation that VMSpc and the GPS provides is valuable data. It is *entirely* appropriate for the copilot to be concerned with instrumentation monitoring and navigation. The driver drives, the copilot does whatever else is necessary for a safe and sucessful trip.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Well, I guess I am about to submit to the same 'evil device' as John. Just ordered some RAM stuff to combine with my own oak pedestal and tray for the laptop. I've had EVOC and defensive driving training and agree that eyes should be scanning road, mirrors, instruments, etc. Co-pilot will own the task of any 'hands-on' with the laptop...I will scan just as I would the instrument panel.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

John
I have used 75-90 watt converters with my Dell 8200 and find they get hot and burn out in less than a year. I am now using a 150 watt for 6 months and it is still OK. Like you we are on our first MH. We have a 2006 Adventure 38J on order. How soon after you got the VIN # was your coach ready? We,re getting anxious.
John K.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
smlranger,

I am just using the Dell power supply brick with a baby-sized Xantrex 75 watt inverter. It seems to work great so far. I also have an AC outlet under the dash overhead cabinets that I could use, but I'd have to do something about the dangling wires.

I'm suprised you don't have (or can't see) the OBD connector. Yes- it does look exactly the same as the one in the rear by the engine (at least it looks the same on mine.) I would give Winnie a call and ask them. Have you looked in the front of the coach behind the "hood?"

Good question about the Jotto Desk wiggle... I don't know since we haven't driven the coach post-installation. I suspect there will be some movement, but we'll see. I'll let you know - we are taking the coach out for a few days in about a week.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Hi John & welcome to the forum. The waiting is very difficult - I'm glad we are past that!!

We ordered the coach March 14 and the dealer had it early May. I believe our build date was April 28. Forgot when we got our chassis number in the process. I was amazed at how quickly our dealer had the coach after the build date (about 1800 mile delivery trip from Forest City) - the driver must have driven 12 hours a day or more.

You can call Mark in the visitor's center at Winney and he will check on what the status of your coach is once you have a serial number.

Stay busy so the time will pass!

The little inverter was cheap - about 20 bucks at a truck stop. I have been concerned about the load on it so I have been feeling it to see what kind of heat it is generating - so far so good.

--John

Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We have a 2006 Adventure 38J on order. How soon after you got the VIN # was your coach ready? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My dealer told me it would take 12 weeks after we ordered to recieve our Suncruiser. It took 12 weeks but we had fullbody paint which added a week to the build time.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:06 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The little inverter was cheap - about 20 bucks at a truck stop. I have been concerned about the load on it so I have been feeling it to see what kind of heat it is generating - so far so good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Gateway P4 3.2g draws 150w. Check the label on your laptop's power supply. You can plug in to your entertainment inverter but you have to deal with routing the extension cord to your computer area.

A good "fix" is to mount an invertor near the coach batteries and then run 120v to your computer area.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:53 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Tom - I just looked at my Dell 'brick' and I figure it will draw a max of about 100 watts. This is probably not a constant figure - I would imagine that the current decreases over time as the battery is charged. The current demand for a laptop with a battery that is fully charged is probably much less than 100 watts. I wish I had a clamp-on ammeter!

I have power available in the cabinets above the dash that are on the coach's inverter, and one under the cabinet. The cigarette lighter is much closer!

--John

Old 07-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Hey John, we also have the same problem with the mirror door not staying latched. The dealer has tried to fix it once to no avail. Its on our list of items when we take it back for minor fixes. You mentioned you might have a fix that I may use if the dealer fails again.
We just returned from a 2400 mile shake down trip and it ran and drove like a dream. Everything has checked out ok with the exception of the in-motion satellite system. We have had Direct TV for 12 years now and I thought I could just take the receiver from the house along. Come to find out the receiver has to be able to switch to "oval dish mode" for it to work and does not have that option due to its age. Any suggestions on a good receiver that will work with the in-motion satellite?

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

We bought an RCA Direct TV receiver from Best Buy for $99 that has the software that allows you to choose which dish configuration you have...round, oval, oval with 3 LNB's. It works fine with our King Dome but our's is not an In Motion system...
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Woody:
Hey John, we also have the same problem with the mirror door not staying latched. The dealer has tried to fix it once to no avail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Here is my quote from an earlier post about the mirrored closet door:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wow - another thing fixed! The closet sliding door wouldn't stay closed on our new coach. Thanks to my snooping around I discovered that the closet mirror door was not plumb to the jamb or it was "cocked" to one side.

There are two adjustment screws at each top corner on the inside of the mirror doors. I adjusted the screws until the door was parallel with the frame. Now the latch/catch fully seats with the lip on the frame. Whoohoo! I don't have to kludge up a door stop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About the receiver - I happen to be a bit of a Sony fan (however, there's not much of a reason to be one in the last few years due to a lack of innovation) so if you have a brand X TV maybe you should consider a brand X receiver. It sort of makes the remote thing easier to manage without jumping through hoops. Like smlranger reports - they are dirt cheap.

Check your door for plumb

--John

Old 07-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

John, SMLRANGER,
thanks for the replys. Probably will go with the Sony being the TV's are Sony. Hopefully, one less remote to deal with. John, thanks for the door adjustment. I might even tell the dealer about your suggestion just to save them some time.

Safe Travels

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:50 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Tom - I just looked at my Dell 'brick' and I figure it will draw a max of about 100 watts. This is probably not a constant figure - I would imagine that the current decreases over time as the battery is charged. The current demand for a laptop with a battery that is fully charged is probably much less than 100 watts. I wish I had a clamp-on ammeter!

I have power available in the cabinets above the dash that are on the coach's inverter, and one under the cabinet. The cigarette lighter is much closer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My old laptop ran off 15v. It ran just fine directly off the 12v light plug. No invertor needed. My 18v won't do this.

100 watts at 12v = 8.33 watts. I=P/E
Old 07-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

100 watts at 12 volts equals 8.33 amps

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 100 watts at 12v = 8.33 watts.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

100 watts at 12v = 8.33 AMPS I=P/E

Sorry
Old 07-22-2005, 02:40 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

John Canfield I see you have been busy the past three weeks I have been away the past threads have my interest, an I see your defensive driving training from the old days is showing thru. Have you started the surround sound project yet "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

John,

This is off-topic but I have a question for you. What make and type of batteries and inverter/charger are standard on the Horizon?

We are fellow Floridians planning to purchase either an AD or FD Horizon. Like you I am very technical and customize/enhance everything. One thing I desire is true sine wave inverter, high capacity batteries, three stage charger and maybe several hundred watts of solar panels to assist charging when boondocking. Was just wondering how much refit I would have to do.

Thanks for all you posts and pictures, they are great.

Buddy & Marta
Buddy&Marta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

If you want a 40AD you'll have to find a 2005. The 40AD has been dropped for 2006.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:01 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Hi everybody,

I suppose my absence has been noted... We were in Romania and spent a couple of days in London visiting friends. It is good to be back home. Actually saw three small (~22') Class C coaches in Romania - very unusual.

Buddy:

I believe the coach batteries are Interstate - I'll have to check. The inverter/charger is by Dimensions and it is not that intelligent. I want to change the house batteries from lead-acid to AGM and the charger doesn't have a setting specifically for AGM unlike the Xantrex. However I will say that the Dimensions modified sine wave inverter has not seemed to cause any problems in the TV with hum bars or buzz. But it is going to be replaced anyway with the Xantrex RS2000. The swap-out of the Dimensions with the Xantrex seems to be straight forward. I'll document the change out when it happens.

I was considering more solar panels but I don't know how much boondocking we will be doing. I don't want to spend 700 or 800 dollars for panels unless we really need them.

007:

I've been pondering the surround sound install. The left-center-right speakers are an easy install since they are on the same side of the coach as the future amplifier. The rear speakers are an entirely different matter and would present a bit of a wiring challenge.

Tom:

Wow - we already own an 'orphan' since Winnie decided to drop the 40AD I wonder what the logic was - probably a marketing decision. I might call Mark at the visitor's center and ask him what he knows about it.

Cheers all -- John