Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Smranger, while you're on the roof with the caulk, check that AM/FM rubber antenna sealant. Mine also leaked at the same spot that Tom mentioned. Also had the marker light leak (dried out gaskets).

Glad you found the KingDome leak.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:59 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Smranger, while you're on the roof with the caulk, check that AM/FM rubber antenna sealant. Mine also leaked at the same spot that Tom mentioned. Also had the marker light leak (dried out gaskets).

Glad you found the KingDome leak.
Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on the many helpful suggestions in this thread, I checked that antenna. Looks fine. Only thing that appears suspicious is the Dome. I am also planning to check the top windshield seal very carefully.

Thanks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Though I have not had the type of roof leak that you had SML, I had one that was driving me crazy looking for it. After any rain fall, the front compartment of my MH would have water in it -- was running down the wiring that comes into that area. On my MH, that is where a lot of the fuses, battery relays, surround sound amp, etc, etc is located so I was concerned. I looked and looked and could not find a bad cault seam, or any holes on the roof that appeared to be uncaulked. On a recent trip I had noticed that the driver's side mirror had been a little loose so I decided to "fix" it. When I started to tighten one of the screws, the head came off -- rusted through. Upon further investigation, I found that the gasket/seal around the mirror had deteriorated and was letting the water in at the top and then it would run down the electric mirror adjustment wire into the coach and from there would run down wiring into the front compartment. I ended up having to bore holes through the side body of the coach and re-attach the mirror with bolts through the body with metal backers (screws would not hold anymore). Over time, the water was working on the sidewall in that area -- nothing major yet but, could have been. I know the post is long but, just goes to show that the leakes can come from places that you least suspect.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Update:

Well, I reinstalled the Kingdome, carefully filling the screw holes and coating the stainless screws with 3M 4200 marine caulk. Then put a good layer of caulk on the top of the screws. We had a pretty hard rain this past weekend and no visible leaking.

However , my celebration was short. It has been raining off and on for past 2 days and now I have a puddle on the dash again tonite. I am going to use a leaf blower to pressurize the beast and start checking other things. My new suspects are windshield and marker lights.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
--snip-- I am going to use a leaf blower to pressurize the beast and start checking other things. My new suspects are windshield and marker lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary - let us know how effective the pressurization test is. It will be interesting to see if that is the best way to look for leaks.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Update, again.....

I removed one of the marker lights and it was obvious that water was able to get behind those. Even though I had made rubber gaskets a couple of years ago, the gaskets did not appear to be tight against the coach body....perhaps the rubber shrunk.

I removed all the lights and reinstalled using caulk between the light and gasket and gasket and body. We've had 1 1/2 inches of rain since this repair and so far .....no leaks visible.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Update, again.....

I removed one of the marker lights and it was obvious that water was able to get behind those. Even though I had made rubber gaskets a couple of years ago, the gaskets did not appear to be tight against the coach body....perhaps the rubber shrunk.

I removed all the lights and reinstalled using caulk between the light and gasket and gasket and body. We've had 1 1/2 inches of rain since this repair and so far .....no leaks visible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah - the infamous leaky marker light problem

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Gary do you have a remote control spotlight on top? On mine, even though the screws covers were in-place, one of the the screws rusted out allowing water to run under the base of the spotlight and down through the screw hole.

I popped off the covers and replaced both screws with stainless and let the screws pull additional freash caulk into the holes.

My problem went away.

Good luck!

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by El Jeffe:
Gary do you have a remote control spotlight on top? On mine, even though the screws covers were in-place, one of the the screws rusted out allowing water to run under the base of the spotlight and down through the screw hole.

I popped off the covers and replaced both screws with stainless and let the screws pull additional freash caulk into the holes.

My problem went away.

Good luck! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No remote light but I had a similar problem with the Kingdome....screws rusted into oblivion with obvious water intrusion.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Congrats SMLranger,
I can almost see the smile on your face and heard that sigh of relief! Way to go!

Peter
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Have You checked both roof coves down both sides of the coach?
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote