Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Passenger Seat Belt won't retract

I let my 17 yo drive the Winnebago this weekend so I rode shotgun. I immediately noticed the passenger seatbelt is fully extended and will not retract. Well, it actually will retract about 4 inches but then it just stops. I must have pulled it up 100 times trying to get it to retract but it simply will not. This has not been noticed before because everyone likes to ride in coach on the couch or at the table. No one has riden shotgun before.

So I removed the cover thinking maybe I could fugure out the problem but the seatbelt contraption inside the cover is completely encased and rivrted together. And there is a HUGE Hex nut holding it in place that I cannot possibly remove.

I'm wondering if, by some miracle, the seatbelts are covered under warranty by Ford or Winnebago. Otherwise, any idea where I can get a replacement? I'm sure my mechanic can get that bolt off and put in a replacement unit.

Bondad
Old 10-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If the seat belt has been jerked real hard, it is no good and must be replaced. It's a safety feature.
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjock View Post
If the seat belt has been jerked real hard, it is no good and must be replaced. It's a safety feature.
Thanks for that but it doesn't answer my question. I know it needs to be replaced. I need to find out who has a replacement and if it's covered under any type of warranty.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Under Federal law, most new vehicle safety devices, including seat belts, are covered for 5 years or 50,000 miles (whicheve occurs first) for defects in materials or workmanship. The warranty starts when the vehicle is first sold to a retail customer or when the vehicle is placed into eligible service as recognized by the original vehicle manufacturer. It applies to the original and all subsequent owners. It would appear that your seat belt is about 15 years old or more and would not be covered by the original OEM warranty.

These seat belt devices (retractors) are constructed by OEM manufacturers to be non-serviceable by mere mortals, for what should be obvious reasons. Removing the device from the vehicle, however, is not difficult. I would suggest you contact Winnebago for part # info. You might also do a forum search here for RV resale parts and accesories businesses....I have seen frequent mention of them on this forum. That should not be a terribly difficult part to find. Assuming a replacement device works OK and the latching ends match, belt length is the critical consideration. You may be able to find one of the correct length and color at your local salvage yard....these things are very common, and finding a serviceable used unit should not be too tough. Ebay is also a good source for these type of items.

Please let us know the results....Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
I let my 17 yo drive the Winnebago this weekend so I rode shotgun. I immediately noticed the passenger seatbelt is fully extended and will not retract. Well, it actually will retract about 4 inches but then it just stops. I must have pulled it up 100 times trying to get it to retract but it simply will not. This has not been noticed before because everyone likes to ride in coach on the couch or at the table. No one has riden shotgun before.

So I removed the cover thinking maybe I could fugure out the problem but the seatbelt contraption inside the cover is completely encased and rivrted together. And there is a HUGE Hex nut holding it in place that I cannot possibly remove.

I'm wondering if, by some miracle, the seatbelts are covered under warranty by Ford or Winnebago. Otherwise, any idea where I can get a replacement? I'm sure my mechanic can get that bolt off and put in a replacement unit.

Bondad
check page 177 of this winnebago parts catalog.

Winnebago Parts - Official Winnebago Parts and Accessories Catalog
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondad View Post
Thanks for that but it doesn't answer my question. I know it needs to be replaced. I need to find out who has a replacement and if it's covered under any type of warranty.
Do you honestly believe a 5 YO RV still has warranty? Contact a dealer and find a replacement.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Do you honestly believe a 5 YO RV still has warranty? Contact a dealer and find a replacement.
No I don't believe a 16 YO RV still has a warranty. I was not sure if seatbelts, being a federal requirement, had a different warranty. I'm not against paying for a replacement and if you read my OP you will see I didn't think it was under warranty.

Quote: