Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Partial Roof Replacement

I posted a few months ago about an encounter I had with a large tree limb. I ended up with a 2 1/2 foot gash in the fiberglass roof that runs along the edge of the roof right in the curvature of the roof line, parallel with the awning. The awning tube was also bent and will need to be replaced.

I spoke to the RV service center that I use (who happens to also be the approved service center for State Farm, which is a good thing) and they are telling me that because where the gash is located, patching the fiberglass is not possible as there is nothing solid underneath to adhere to. Instead, they propose cutting the roof across the width of the coach and replacing nearly half of the roof with new fiberglass. From my understanding this material is shipped in a roll direct from the manufacturer. In the process, vents and antennas along with the satellite dish will have to be removed and replaced.

Let me say, I am a long time customer with this service center and I am comfortable with their integrity and how they stand behind their work. I am just looking for others that have had this type repair and any advise you may have.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well, you are going from a single roof piece to a two piece roof. At that joint are they assuring you that the structure will be sound and the joint will not be weak and need caulking and extra protection over the years?
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the roof on my Itasca 42AD replaced under warranty. Big job, big mess....in your case I would request your insurance to allow the work to be done at the factory in Forest City...I doubt they would only do 1/2 a roof there.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
I had the roof on my Itasca 42AD replaced under warranty. Big job, big mess....in your case I would request your insurance to allow the work to be done at the factory in Forest City...I doubt they would only do 1/2 a roof there.
I agree with the Forest City suggestion. Your roof will be correctly repaired at the factory service center. Besides, getting parts becomes less of an issue when your at the place it was built. These folks are very familiar with doing this type of work. Just wait till spring before you make your appointment. Snow could be in the forecast before then.

Rick Y
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That's a real bummer of a situation and I am sure you are sick about it. I can understand you doubt about your shops idea for the repair. I would suggest this as the best way to come away from the repair feeling like your coach is as good as new,...and that would be to put a whole new roof on and have it done at Forrest City. Try to get SF to go along with it, and then perhaps you will only be out the deductible and fuel. Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I wanted to come back and provide an update. I got my Motorhome back two weeks ago and am very happy with the results. The repair required that that a section approximately 8 feet from the front cap had to be cut away. The sat dish and crank up winguard was also removed. The new fiberglass sheeting came from the same manufacturer that Winnebago uses. The tech cut it perfectly where it slid under the front cap and the sides wrapped down and slid into the side grooves. The far end then overlapped the edge of the original remaining roof. The new piece was glued down all the way around and then a strip if eternabond tape was added for insurance. Satellite was reinstalled and instead of reusing the old crank up air antenna, I replace it with the fixed mount Jack Antenna. I am very happy with the job and the retention to detail these guys put into the repair. Oh, also got awning replaced in the process. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432870708.671910.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	95550Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432870728.342816.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	95551Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432870751.154528.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	95552

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 05-29-2015, 06:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Roof Replace

Does anyone know what they charge in Forest City to replace a complete roof?
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

GaDawgFan,
Your roof looks great. I'm glad you found a service provider that could tackle the job. I'm sure its a big relief.
G.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
I wanted to come back and provide an update. I got my Motorhome back two weeks ago and am very happy with the results. The repair required that that a section approximately 8 feet from the front cap had to be cut away. The sat dish and crank up winguard was also removed. The new fiberglass sheeting came from the same manufacturer that Winnebago uses. The tech cut it perfectly where it slid under the front cap and the sides wrapped down and slid into the side grooves. The far end then overlapped the edge of the original remaining roof. The new piece was glued down all the way around and then a strip if eternabond tape was added for insurance. Satellite was reinstalled and instead of reusing the old crank up air antenna, I replace it with the fixed mount Jack Antenna. I am very happy with the job and the retention to detail these guys put into the repair. Oh, also got awning replaced in the process. Attachment 95550Attachment 95551Attachment 95552
I see you are from Dacula, not far from us. Who did the work? Apalachee?
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
Does anyone know what they charge in Forest City to replace a complete roof?
When we there a few years back a coach came in for a new roof after getting caught in a hail storm. I think it was about 17K, if my memory serves me correctly. The new roof was stuck to the old roof with a 3M tape system.

Rick Y

PS: I'm glad GaDawgFan is back on the road. Looks great. Hope it serves well.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGeorgia View Post
I see you are from Dacula, not far from us. Who did the work? Apalachee?

I have been using Southland Motorhome Center in Buford for several years. It just so happens that they are on the approved repair list for State Farm so it worked out great. They run a great business.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 05-30-2015, 04:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
I have been using Southland Motorhome Center in Buford for several years. It just so happens that they are on the approved repair list for State Farm so it worked out great. They run a great business.
Thanks GA Dawg for the head's up. I had to go to CW for some warranty repairs and its really going to the "dark side". Used Apalachee for some non-warranty work and they did good job on time. Will add to the "good" list.
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGeorgia View Post
Thanks GA Dawg for the head's up. I had to go to CW for some warranty repairs and its really going to the "dark side". Used Apalachee for some non-warranty work and they did good job on time. Will add to the "good" list.

I have used Apalachee, the owner Dave Kobos, is a great guy. His business has exploded. I am going to talk to him about some paint work.

300 HP Cat Diesel

Tags
replace, replacement, roof