Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Partial or full Length Mudflaps

I have a 2006 Winnebago adventurer 38G. I'm contemplating giving my toad more protection. Tired of Washing it everynight. I would like to hear your pro's cons regarding full rear width mud flap like Ultra Guard, or NK Rock Tamer or Roadmaster Road wing..I would like to hear from others. Thank You..
cnjcampione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I bought my MH with the full flap across the back. This summer I had to drive over a fresh oiled road. Oh boy, I thought, this will be a mess. Not bad at all. I had some drops of oil on the side of the front fender but the front was clean. So I am pretty happy with the full mud flap.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

The Rock guard must be hung High enough off the ground/blacktop so it will not hit when you go over a dip or hit a hole,Because it will kick up any rocks/gravel it hits;;;; The next thing. The Full Pearachute affect , We had a full Flap On our DP; averaged 8,4 MPG; Removed the chute Now we get a constant 10 MPG. I say go figger, Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I use a ROCK SOLID all the way across the back with no openings except a hole for the hitch. Not a gap, just a square hole. It is also mounted all the way back with only a small 1 inch gap between the rear cap and the guard. The bottom of the guard is about an inch or two from dragging on the road. When you are under way the wind blows it back a bit so that it doesn't drag.
I have never had any road damage in 60,00o + miles of towing.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I use the Rock Solid mounted about half way between the rear wheels and the back of the MH (right behind the fuel tank). It does touch the ground when stopped but not when moving do to the air flow. This is the 3rd MH that we have had a Rock Solid on.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have mud flaps behind the rear wheels, and also the full mudflap across the back. It was set up that way when we bought it. The mudflap had about 1 1/2" clearance to the ground.

In the first couple of thousand miles, we really experienced a lot of damage to our beautiful toad. Finally, I cut 4" off the bottom of that mudflap, and there's no more damage.

That rear mudflap does not stop the dust that the coach churns up from landing on the toad. I sometimes wonder about taking the mudflap off and giving that a try.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

HI,

I too have a rock solid flap across the rear of the coach. I mounted it underneath the bumper and put a piece of angle bracket above the fiberglass to give it support. I cut out hole for generator exhaust and for the hitch. It works fine and have used it all the way to Alaska and back with no dings on the car.

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I use a ROCK SOLID all the way across the back with no openings except a hole for the hitch. Not a gap, just a square hole. It is also mounted all the way back with only a small 1 inch gap between the rear cap and the guard. The bottom of the guard is about an inch or two from dragging on the road. When you are under way the wind blows it back a bit so that it doesn't drag.
I have never had any road damage in 60,00o + miles of towing.
To be clearer, mine is a Diesel Pusher and when I had the Rock Solid farther forward the stones would go over the Rock Solid. Thats why I moved it all the way back. It's alot different with a gas coach with their longer overhang.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had a solid rubber mudflap on my class C which seemed to work pretty well. Now that I have an A, I have the two mudflaps behind the duels and use a Protect-A-Tow. The toad got dirt with the flap and the Protect-A-Tow but I've yet to have damage with either.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I forgot to mention that in addition to the rear wheel mudflaps and the big rear mudflap, we also added the Protect-A-Tow. That's when I realized that the big rear mudflap was too low. After a few hundred miles, I'd walk back to the back of the coach to see the Protect-A-Tow full of small stones. Once I even found a set of car keys laying in it.

Then I cut the bottom 4" off the rear big mudflap and we experienced no more debris laying in the Protect-A-Tow.

Personally, I believe that the Protect-A-Tow is very well worth the money, and the rear big mudflap is probably not.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote