Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon with the slide pantry. The latch-lock has broken and now the pantry won't stay locked closed. Fortunately this happened on the day we were heading home. We had to use DH's favorite emergency fix...duct tape...to keep it closed for the trip home! He looked at it and says it looks like he may have to take the pantry slide out to get it fixed. Has anybody else had this happen and if so, how did you get it fixed? If you did it yourself, did you have to remove the pantry? Or, is this best handled by the dealer? I just hate having to take it into the dealers. Something else always goes wrong or they track grease in on the carpet...it's always something!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon with the slide pantry. The latch-lock has broken and now the pantry won't stay locked closed. Fortunately this happened on the day we were heading home. We had to use DH's favorite emergency fix...duct tape...to keep it closed for the trip home! He looked at it and says it looks like he may have to take the pantry slide out to get it fixed. Has anybody else had this happen and if so, how did you get it fixed? If you did it yourself, did you have to remove the pantry? Or, is this best handled by the dealer? I just hate having to take it into the dealers. Something else always goes wrong or they track grease in on the carpet...it's always something!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Jeanne M.
We had a similar problem with our 2005 Adventurer while still under warranty and had the slide replaced at the selling dealers. It took two trips as I won't leave my coach there overnight unless it is not moveable and they had to order the parts. Good luck !!
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Jeanne M.
Sounds like DH is abe to fix things. So, humans pujt it together so a human can fix it. If it were me I would get DH to give it a try. You can always regroup and take it to a dealer. I, for one, do my best to avoid dealers.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem. I rigged mine with three bright brass screw eyes; one in the cupboard frame on the right hand side next to where the latch is, one in the side of the front panel on the cupboard slide pantry. The two "eyes" line up with each other and I drop in the third screw eye into the other two "eyes". Thought it was temporary however it has been that way for two years now. Can't really see them to well because that cupboard butts up against the return wall and only use the third eye as a lock when traveling and they are very small screweyes.
"on order"
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Had the same thing happen to us twice on our 05 Journey. First time reparied under warranty, second time I called Winnebago and was sent (free) new latch-lock hardware. Had to remove pantry,fairly easy to remove alone, and no I'm not handy. Replaced hardware and so far so good. I do keep the door bungied while travelling though because it does seem like a weak point. Part # looks like 3701352-1R
Bill & Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Same problem, with one big exception. The pantry slid all the way out, fell on the side cabinet, crushed the cats water and food bowls.
Just missed the cat. Wife ran back to try holding, but came crashing out. Was full of can goods, going around a interstate clover leaf didn't help iether. The dealer got two new slides from winnie,since the both slides were damaged and twisted. Has worked good ever since. The small latch that acts as a lock broke right off.Another cheesey part from Winnebago. Have a 39QD,02 horizon. All in all, love the coach, since all the bugs are out of it.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I had the same problem on my '99 Adventurer.

I went to Home Depot and bought a brass sliding bolt for a front door ... mounted the sliding bolt on the horizontal piece (style I think it is called) ... and the eye on a small piece of wood that was screwed into the face of the pantry opening ...

It cost a couple of dollars and worked great ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When we got our Horizon 2 years ago the pantry would sometimes slide open. I pulled the pantry out to try to fix or replace the catch. I found the catch was out of line and we have not had any more trouble. It is not too difficult to remove.
I do agree it is a poor design for a heavy pantry and could not find anything else to hold the pantry closed without it all looking bad on the outside.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our pantry latch was adjusted at least 4 times and was neve reliable. I tried putting a strap with snaps to hold when latch didn't. That worked most of the time. I gave up and found a brass slide lock sort of similar to what was mentioned only prettier. I mounted the "eye" portion to a strip of oak and stained it to match the trim. This solution works as long as you remember to slide the lock closed before travel.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

That is one of the cheesiest parts on them.

Our broke soon after we got the MH. I replaced it. Whole pantry slide has to come out. Not a bad job, just takes a little time. Empty it out before you attempt repairs.

If it ever goes again, I'm going to the Home Depot to see if there's something I can use that's better, got to be.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE

Well, we did as many of you suggested and took the pantry slide out and checked things out. Yup, the whole slide bracket on pantry slide itself has to be replaced. Winnebago says we have to order thru our local dealer. I checked that out his a.m. and the price with shipping will be $100 plus. (Obnoxiously ridiculous!) I have no intention of replacing it with the same inferior equipment for that price, with no guarantees. The young man I spoke to said that he's replaced many, many of this type of pantry latch and agrees with us that this is a poor/weak design. Considering that there HAVE been so many replacement, I wish Winnebago would step up to the plate and consider swallowing at least half of the fee! Anywho, we've decided to see if we can go with a slide latch from Lowe's or Home Depot. Maybe even two. One top and one midway. I was hoping to stick with original equipment, but not for that price.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The following link is what we've decided to use instead: Security Bolt
Old 10-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I used a Solid Brass Surface Bolt as shown HERE

I purchased it at Home Depot

The bolt was mounted on the pantry door, the latch was attached to a small block of hardwood stained to match the pantry ... the small block of wood was attached with screws to the pantry frame ...

It worked great ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I'm beginning to think everything in these Winnies is cheesy. My closet rod pulled out of the wall and collasped with all our clothes the first trip we took in the brand new coach, the TV had to be re-fastened down twice to keep it from rattling, the washing machine leaked the first time we used it because Winny hadn't winterized it correctly after testing, the right front headlight bracket was never attached correctly, the pantry is pathetic and the outside paint is peeling as so many have noted on this forum.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by skigramp:
I used a Solid Brass Surface Bolt as shown HERE

I purchased it at Home Depot

The bolt was mounted on the pantry door, the latch was attached to a small block of hardwood stained to match the pantry ... the small block of wood was attached with screws to the pantry frame ...

It worked great ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

SkiGramp:
That's exactly what our plan is! We went to Home Depot, Lowes and a few other places. They all had the surface bolts, but they were all gold or brass tones and the cabinet hardware in our MH is brushed nickel. Anything else they had there was more utilitarian -more for outdoor stuff...nothing else cabinet grade. We have white maple cabinets on the MH as well as in our home so luckily, we have some leftover pieces. No staining will be needed...just a little bit of work making that piece of wood look nice and then varnishing.

I would have gotten the style you have, but DH says that he's not sure that rattling on down the road wouldn't vibrate the bolt out of the bracket (strike?) and let the slide come open while driving...so he chose to get one with a security notch in it. At any rate, we found a very nice $15 solution(plus S&H) and saved $80 (better spent on fuel). AND...we have 99% probability that this won't have to be fixed again in 2-1/2 years at a cost $100+. I just can't begin to tell you how disgusted I am at that price!

The young man at our local dealer commented that he thinks these RV companies believe that if we can afford to buy a MH at today's prices, we can also afford high dollar repairs. I tend to agree with that young man. That's not to say that I can't afford it...I just don't WANT to. During some of our stops yesterday, we priced telescoping cabinet glides. Not a single one of them came anywhere near what Winnebago wanted for this pantry glide. That made me wonder if the manufacturers are gouging the folks for replacement parts that are "OUT" of warranty to cover the repair expenses on coaches still "IN" warranty...it does make one wonder!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

If the pantry has to be commpletely removed, how is that accomplished? Ordinarly it will stop when pulled out so far, how do you get it to come on out for removal? Mine hasn't broken yet but according to the postings on this forunm its just a matter of time.
Wagonmaster2
Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,
I don't know the technical terms for my descriptions...but on ours, there is a hole in the glide on the wall portion that will stop at a "catch" on the pantry portion of the glide. If you push on this "catch" (with a thumb, finger or screwdriver) it will let the glides extend past that catch and you can then slide the pantry all the way off the glides.

I Hope I explained this so you can understand it.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Jeanne - you done good. Very good explanation and the next time I'm in the coach I'll look for the "catch". Thanks again.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G