Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Outside refer concerns?

I have an outside kitchen in my 2019 Minnie Plus 27 REOK 5th wheel with a 1.6 cu ft refer. The controls and thermostat are on the backside and you would have to remove three screws to remove it to access the back. The problem is that to access the two back screws you have to remove the inside fireplace to get to them. It appears that you have no idea of what the thermostat is set at and you can't turn it on or off unless you trip the breaker. I was going to just turn the breaker off but Winnebago CS said more than the refer was on this breaker. Has anyone come up with a good solution for this problem? Thanks!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Can you get to the power cord? I leave mine unplugged until I need it.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
Can you get to the power cord? I leave mine unplugged until I need it.
No, I can't find a plug...it might be wired direct.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I wired in a switch to turn off the outlet the little fridge is plugged in to. It is accessible from the outdoor kitchen.
We leave the trailer plugged in a lot at home, but don’t use that refrigerator unless camping.
Tstutz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstutz2002 View Post
I wired in a switch to turn off the outlet the little fridge is plugged in to. It is accessible from the outdoor kitchen.
We leave the trailer plugged in a lot at home, but don’t use that refrigerator unless camping.
A switch seems to be the best solution. My plug is not assessable (can't be seen)...do we have the same model. If not, I guess I'll have to pull the fireplace to find the plug. Lot of work for a new unit. I expect to fix things in a new unit, but not to have to re-engineer something. Winnebago was asleep on this one.

On another note, Winnebago specifies that this model has 41 gallon each grey and black tanks. They don't tell you that 15 gallons of the grey capacity is a separate tank only good for the outside kitchen sink (which would probably take me years to fill up). Would be OK if the tanks were connected; but, no, it has a separate sewer dump. They need to hire some new engineers or whip them into shape with a wet noodle.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Mine is a 2018 Minnie Plus 27BHSS. It just has a panel underneath the lower bunk. The outlet is mounted On the floor and the refrigerator plugs in to that. Sorry you have to remove the fireplace.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have 2019 30r intent so the thermostat for the 1.7 cu ft frig is on the back side so how do I get to it
Gjanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Probably in a closet or something.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjanis View Post
We have 2019 30r intent so the thermostat for the 1.7 cu ft frig is on the back side so how do I get to it
Wife and I also have a 30R. Looking to do the same.
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I’m not familiar with that unit, but it should be easy enough to figure out. Measure from the outside corner to the center of the refrigerator. Go inside and on the same wall and somewhere close to the distance you measured outside. If there is a cabinet, or drawers, you’ll have to figure out how to get inside and look for a removable panel.
Maybe you can’t get at it from inside. Perhaps you’ll have to remove the refrigerator from the outside to get access to the cord and thermostat. Look and see if the feet are screwed down on the outside and unscrew them. See what happens then.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstutz2002 View Post
I’m not familiar with that unit, but it should be easy enough to figure out. Measure from the outside corner to the center of the refrigerator. Go inside and on the same wall and somewhere close to the distance you measured outside. If there is a cabinet, or drawers, you’ll have to figure out how to get inside and look for a removable panel.
Maybe you can’t get at it from inside. Perhaps you’ll have to remove the refrigerator from the outside to get access to the cord and thermostat. Look and see if the feet are screwed down on the outside and unscrew them. See what happens then.
I think Winnebago has created an impossible task. The refer does have a screw in front, but it has two in the back which, according to Winnebago, you can access by removing the fireplace. The problem is that they secured the fireplace before putting the surround on. You would have to demolish the trim to remove the fireplace. The simple thing is to let the refer run all the time and hope the temp settings are OK while plugged in to shore power. If I don't want it on, I can flip the breaker and do without the TV and the rest of the receptacles (INCLUDING THE FIREPLACE). It just irks me that Winnebago would have done this poor an engineering job.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just won't give up...I removed the front hinge screw from the refer front door and was able to wiggle it to the left a little. I saw that the outlet for the refer was on the middle of the wall. I was able to get my arm in enough to plug in the wi-fi receptacle (with the refer plug already connected) to the outlet. I set-up the switch plate above the sink and, viola, it all works. Now I can turn the refer on or off in spite of the Winnebago engineers.