Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all. I have been trying to get any 12 Volt lighter type plugs to work in the outlet located in the outside entertainment compartment of my 2001 Suncruiser. The outlet is on a Winegard faceplate with a coax connection. I asked a local trailer dealership and the parts guy said the outlet was special to Winegard and most plugs go not fit - although some do. Has anyone else had this problem? Have you a solution or do you just live with it? I wanted to plug in the FM transmitter for my ipod rather than carrying around CD's just for this unit. Any help would be appreciated.

Workhorse Chassis
Norm3206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all. I have been trying to get any 12 Volt lighter type plugs to work in the outlet located in the outside entertainment compartment of my 2001 Suncruiser. The outlet is on a Winegard faceplate with a coax connection. I asked a local trailer dealership and the parts guy said the outlet was special to Winegard and most plugs go not fit - although some do. Has anyone else had this problem? Have you a solution or do you just live with it? I wanted to plug in the FM transmitter for my ipod rather than carrying around CD's just for this unit. Any help would be appreciated.

Workhorse Chassis
Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I don't have a solution for your plug issue but I do know that you can plug your Ipod FM xmitter in side you MH and the outside radio will pick it up. I know because I do this.
Frank O.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ditto on the FX xmitter inside and using the outside radio -- I do that with my XM Satellite radio to get the same XM station on all three radio's.

The 12v power outlet on my Winegard faceplate in the outside compartment is a bit tight, but whatever I have plugged into it works. It should be relatively easy to replace that one with one that does work (from any auto parts store) if there is a problem with yours.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the same issue. I had an adapter that went from one to three and one of the three sockets works well with my ipod adapter.
We use the ipod almost exclusively for our listening pleasure. We can play what we want when we want it and no CD's to mess with.
We also have the in-motion XM with the DTV but the ipod works well for us.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Double ditto to the above, although there are apparently 2 similar sizes of 12V Cig outlets, and for some reason I remember Dodge being the strange one. My iPod adapter (and several others) have a "tensioning" switch, for lack of a better description, that changes the tension of the ground blades. All's I know is that in one direction it hardly fits nothin', and the other direction it's fine. Haven't tried it on any Chrysler products tho..

Jeff
PS- I have also had plugs with ring adapters for the same reasons.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info about the inside radio. I would still like to solve the problem of the outside 12V outlet. My ipod transmitter fits on every other outlet in all my vehicles (Dodge, Jeep, Saturn) but none of my other plugs fit into the motorhome outside 12V outlet.
It seams I will just have to replace the outlet. Does anyone know the reason Winegard would use such an odd outlet?

Workhorse Chassis
Old 06-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here is some information explaining the three sizes of sockets Cigar Lighter Sockets
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I gave up and fabricated a new outlet with a conventional 12 volt plug, a face plate and a coax adapter. Everything works good now so I'm back in the Ipod world.

Workhorse Chassis
Old 06-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

i bought a coiled 12v extension cord from wally world. it fits.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote