Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outside Door hand grip??

Friends,

We have a new to us 2015 Itasca Sunova. We are wondering if the outside handgrip next to the door is supposed to be illuminated. Our previous coaches of this caliber had illuminate grips, this one has white strips in it but no illumination.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

No, doesn't come that way but you can add illumination rather easily if you like.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

I saw a thread on here where you can add an LED light in the upper chrome section of the handle that illuminates the handle.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

To paraphrase a local car dealer "ARE YOU KIDDING ME". We have the deeply cheapened Forza and opted for the $1680.00 loft bed, you don't even get a ladder to access it!!!

We're talking Winnebago here not some other low class manufacturer who includes such options. We also "assumed" the handle would be lighted on such a coach.........Nah!!
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
To paraphrase a local car dealer "ARE YOU KIDDING ME". We have the deeply cheapened Forza and opted for the $1680.00 loft bed, you don't even get a ladder to access it!!!

We're talking Winnebago here not some other low class manufacturer who includes such options. We also "assumed" the handle would be lighted on such a coach.........Nah!!
Wow, this is the 4th thread I have read in the last few minutes that you slam Winnebago! Life is short - sell it and move on so the rest of us can enjoy ours!
Old 08-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Friends,

We have a new to us 2015 Itasca Sunova. We are wondering if the outside handgrip next to the door is supposed to be illuminated. Our previous coaches of this caliber had illuminate grips, this one has white strips in it but no illumination.

Thanks,

Dave
Here's the thread on the lighted grab handle. You'll notice that the owners who are installing the light in the handle have different models of Winnebago coaches and also have coaches from various manufacturers.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/ligh...ar-234168.html
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just for sake of information, our grab handle which is like yours I think, illuminates in two ways........when I use the unlock button on key fob (electric locks) it lights up for about 20 seconds along with the porch light above entry door. The second is when using the porch light switch, again both the handle and light above entry door are illuminated.

Regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Wow, this is the 4th thread I have read in the last few minutes that you slam Winnebago! Life is short - sell it and move on so the rest of us can enjoy ours!
Yeah what he said. If you hate Winnebago so much then go to Fleetwood or someone else who will make you feel good about their low end products.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I agree. You purchased an entry level diesel coach. As such by definition it isn't going to have all the bells and whistles of the top of the line models. The options and amenities you seem to be seeking are available. If they are really what you want step up and purchase the coach that has them.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 32H. I think we have the same handle as you do and it doesn't light up though it looks like it should. I wanted to upgrade until I found out how much it would cost. Then I lost interest and put the $$$ towards adding nice window awnings. Boy, there are some nasty people out there don't take it personally.
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Just for sake of information, our grab handle which is like yours I think, illuminates in two ways........when I use the unlock button on key fob (electric locks) it lights up for about 20 seconds along with the porch light above entry door. The second is when using the porch light switch, again both the handle and light above entry door are illuminated.

Regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Curious, does your handle have wording on it? Itasca? Ellipse? If it said Itasca I might look for one to replace mine. I would have mine working just like yours, whenever the overhead porch light is on including from the key fob.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Curious, does your handle have wording on it? Itasca? Ellipse? If it said Itasca I might look for one to replace mine. I would have mine working just like yours, whenever the overhead porch light is on including from the key fob.
Hey Brad,
Mine says Itasca on it. The lights inside it look like thin rods pencil lead in diameter more or less. I'll take a photo or two of it in the daylight tomorrow and post it here for you.

Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Old 08-23-2016, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Hey Brad,
Mine says Itasca on it. The lights inside it look like thin rods pencil lead in diameter more or less. I'll take a photo or two of it in the daylight tomorrow and post it here for you.

Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Ah super thanks!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #14

Interesting - I found this link that lets you have your handle engraved

- Acrylic Handle Replacement For Lighted Grab Handles - Price: $12.20 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327
Old 08-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Brad, here's a couple pics of my handle. The second closer look shows the light columns inside it I described. Click on it, next window click a second time to open in a separate window, magnify up, and you can see it good at the bottom of the lower "A". The handle's reflection in the first pic shows it good too.

I've been to that RV surplus store in Elkhart. They have quite a bit of stuff there.

Regards,
W.D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-23 17.37.03.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	136907   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-23 17.38.00.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	136908  

Old 08-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Brad, here's a couple pics of my handle. The second closer look shows the light columns inside it I described. Click on it, next window click a second time to open in a separate window, magnify up, and you can see it good at the bottom of the lower "A". The handle's reflection in the first pic shows it good too.

I've been to that RV surplus store in Elkhart. They have quite a bit of stuff there.

Regards,
W.D.
Thanks W.D.! That would look sharp on mine I'll have to see if I can find one, or even get one through the Winnebago store if its not too expensive. I find myself grapping everything that says Itasca now that the brand is going away.

I wonder if those are fiber optics, or even drilled out to spread the light down.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks W.D.! That would look sharp on mine I'll have to see if I can find one, or even get one through the Winnebago store if its not too expensive. I find myself grapping everything that says Itasca now that the brand is going away.

I wonder if those are fiber optics, or even drilled out to spread the light down.
I found this, it's somewhat similar, and you could have it engraved.
Lighted RV Grab Handle Hand Hold New 21" Long New in Packaging Silver Ends | eBay

Maybe a RV bone yard somewhere might have an Itasca one? I'm guessing one from WBGO might be up to a couple hundred bucks? Hope it's less, but you know....

It does look like fiber optics don't it. I'm not sure myself, if you get an answer to that let me know, and vice-versa.

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
I found this, it's somewhat similar, and you could have it engraved.
Lighted RV Grab Handle Hand Hold New 21" Long New in Packaging Silver Ends | eBay

Maybe a RV bone yard somewhere might have an Itasca one? I'm guessing one from WBGO might be up to a couple hundred bucks? Hope it's less, but you know....

It does look like fiber optics don't it. I'm not sure myself, if you get an answer to that let me know, and vice-versa.

Best regards,
W.D.
Will do!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Another thread from here at irv2 from about 18 months ago:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/ligh...ar-234168.html

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'm not sure that I am ready to drill holes yet!! But I am going to open it up and see if there is already lights in it, it sure looks like it should be as there are about 5 white pencil lead sized bars running top to bottom just like my Newmar had.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door