Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outside Compartments Not Fully Closing

Hi guys. I'm a new member and find this site has alot of great information. I have a problem that maybe someone can help me with. I have a 2002 Winnebego Journey 36DL. Some of the outside compartments either don't latch at all the way or don't latch at all. This is especially true on the drivers side compartments. I was wondering if the latching mechanism's can be adjusted or is this just normal wear requiring the replacement of the latches and catches. Also, if these need to be replaced, any idea wher I can buy these. Thanks for the help.

Larry
lwestbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On my precious coach the latch system had some adjustments that could be done. The catches could be moved up or down and the catches could have extra material added or subtracted from the backer plates.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum! the latches on mine are adjustable too I believe.

good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

One thing you can try is to grab onto the bottom edges of the door and the compartment lip near the corners and gently squeeze the door shut against the rubber seal. You may find that this will let the door latches engage properly.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I just put my leg against the end of the door and push. I'm afraid that slamming them will break those plastic latches
Old 01-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Latches are usually easy to find and replace
Ckeck local RV store near you
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Outside Compartments Not Fully Closing

The problem with the doors in question is that the plunger on the latch is not securely staying in the catch attached to the RV body. The catch is built at a slight angle to allow the plunger push in slightly when closed and then snap into the catch. I suspect that both the plunger and catch have some amount of wear leaving the end of the plunger just at the edge of the catch when closed. Any kind of bump and it pops out. I'm sure that I have totally screwed up the names of these parts and mechanisms, sorry. Thanks for the help.

Larry
lwestbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Larry, welcome....on my 2004 Vectra I have to use my knee to push them tight,
I do not like to slam them shut.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You might try shimming out the 'catch' a bit and see if the latch holds better. I'd start with some thin cardboard--once you get a thickness that works you could substitute a plastic or metal shim of roughly the same thickness.

If the latches need to be replaced they can be obtained from your local Winnebago dealer or ordered from somewhere like Lichtsinn Motors. The old rivets on the latch assemble will need to get drilled out and replaced with new aluminum pop-rivets.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Here is a source to try.
060-0460 EZ Access Baggage Door Lock | TriMark Corporation=

and another>
RV door catches, latches, holder, fasteners, accessories
Old 01-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Howdy y'all,
Those latches shouldn't be 'worn' at all on a 2002 rig!! Just try pressure on the latch, but don't FORCE IT. ALSO YOU DO KNOW THAT IT IS POSSIBLE
FOR
SOMEONE ELSE'S KEYS TO FIT YOUR BAYDOORS, DON'T YOU!!! THIS HAS HAPPENED MANY TIMES... If the latches are REALLY not good you might try
putting ALL new ones on, just for safety reasons...
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Larry, welcome to the forum. I have the same coach and when we bought it in 2005, the dealer was careful to instruct me to lower the cargo doors gently, then push on them at both ends with my lower leg until I heard them latch. I had a friend slam one of the doors shut one time and he broke one of the latch plungers. While I have had to replace two of the plunger mechanisms, all of the catches are still working well. I suspect the previous owner of your coach was not careful when they closed those doors and may have damaged the latches.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

HI Larry, Welcome to the forum!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Larry, welcome to the forum. I have the same coach and when we bought it in 2005, the dealer was careful to instruct me to lower the cargo doors gently, then push on them at both ends with my lower leg until I heard them latch. I had a friend slam one of the doors shut one time and he broke one of the latch plungers. While I have had to replace two of the plunger mechanisms, all of the catches are still working well. I suspect the previous owner of your coach was not careful when they closed those doors and may have damaged the latches.
I too use my leg to latch the doors securely at the edges, when I close them. I did this on my old coach, and I do it on my new (4 year old) coach.

The doors are very big. Don't slam them; gently nudge them latched.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

As others have said (or almost said...) ...it depends on the specific problem you have.

I do gently close my doors, and then press my leg aganst them to fully close. I also lube the latch bolts (the part with the spring-loaded plunger on the door) w/spray white lithium grease once or twice a year. There is some adjustment that can be done on the "box" (on the door frame) that the slide bolt latches into if necessary.