Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Oops! Broke the wide angle mirror

93 Vectra, new to us. I brought it home from the farm to show relatives, parallel parked Jane in front of the house like a pro, one shot. But, huge but, the Crepe Myrtles have branches and some of those branches were against the coach.

The best thing about me almost lost it over the potential for scratched paint. And while trimming said branches one of them fell just perfectly wrong and broke the wide angle mirror on the passenger side. Just the glass, nothing more, where oh where do I find a replacement?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am going to assume the mirror is a ValVac. I broke the wide angle on mine a couple years ago. Contacted them Sistema Control V?lvulas Actuadores Cajas Finales Carrera and they shipped me the parts and detailed instructions to install. Very helpful.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
I am going to assume the mirror is a ValVac. I broke the wide angle on mine a couple years ago. Contacted them Sistema Control V?lvulas Actuadores Cajas Finales Carrera and they shipped me the parts and detailed instructions to install. Very helpful.
We contacted Velvac direct and gave them the part number from the owner's part book. Four days later this pretty lil' thing showed up at the door. It appears to be the right one even down to the heating coil because the MH has heated mirrors. Best of all, instructions because these big mirrors are like working on a washer or dryer, if you don't know what you are doing they are a complete mystery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	133729  
Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Heh. Good for you for finding it so quickly. That's a good reason for a road trip and I would have waited until November, driven to Mexico and had it repaired down there. Last time I did that a new mirror cost me $15.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I got the new mirror in and working like it never happened. I used thread locker going back because, well, stuff happens.

There was one little incident besides the normal me taking thirty minutes to do a five minute chore of changing out the cartridge. As I installed the first bolt in remounting the mirror to the coach another bolt dropped into the grass at my feet. As I bent over to pick it up I saw the crack caused by lack of rain in the last week. 8" deep and if that nut had fallen into it I would have had to dig it out to retrieve it. I finished with a tarp under the work area because, well, stuff happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	763.1 KB
ID:	133819  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
because, well, stuff happens.
Welcome to the club!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For what it's worth......Had to replace the full Velvac driver side mirror, and it was much less expensive purchasing it, including shipping, from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City, IA, than from Velvac via the internet.