Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 115
one more basement air bites the dust.

Air and heat pump has worked well for 10 yrs even on last trip to death valley 3 weeks ago. But no go this morning. So had to start trouble shooting to day. Compressure 1 will run but little cooling comp.2 will not come on. Opened up the side of mh and the controll box to the ac unit. Found the wire from the comp 1 relay burned and the wire from comp2 relay burned off of relay. So things realy got hot at some point. Was able to get new relays from dig a key for $9.84 each. Pt #T92P7D22-12 also had to make 2 new jumper wires and repace 4 quick connect ends on the wires going in and coming out of the relays. Total cost to fix less than
$30.00 and 4 hrs. ALL is good now works fine lucked out cheep fix.
__________________
2001 Horizon 2004 jeep GC
autofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
Air and heat pump has worked well for 10 yrs even on last trip to death valley 3 weeks ago. But no go this morning. So had to start trouble shooting to day. Compressure 1 will run but little cooling comp.2 will not come on. Opened up the side of mh and the controll box to the ac unit. Found the wire from the comp 1 relay burned and the wire from comp2 relay burned off of relay. So things realy got hot at some point. Was able to get new relays from dig a key for $9.84 each. Pt #T92P7D22-12 also had to make 2 new jumper wires and repace 4 quick connect ends on the wires going in and coming out of the relays. Total cost to fix less than
$30.00 and 4 hrs. ALL is good now works fine lucked out cheep fix.
The more I hear about burned wires and relays I wonder if low power voltage can cause this problem?

Sammie
__________________
2015 Tiffin Bus 37AP
2016 Ford Explorer
"A Job Begun is Half Done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise
 
SargeW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Fallbrook, Ca
Posts: 307
That is exactly the type of problem that low voltage will cause. He got out lucky, there may have been a damaged compressor as well. That's why a Surge suppressor with a low voltage cut out is worth it's weight in gold.
__________________
Marty and Diane, Fulltiming!

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
That is exactly the type of problem that low voltage will cause. He got out lucky, there may have been a damaged compressor as well. That's why a Surge suppressor with a low voltage cut out is worth it's weight in gold.
Thanks Sarge, I do have a Surge suppressor and after hearing that there will be no more basement air units made to fit my rig I would like to learn all I can to preserve the one I have.

Sammie
__________________
2015 Tiffin Bus 37AP
2016 Ford Explorer
"A Job Begun is Half Done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 115
Yes low voltage will cause this kind of damage I do not think this was the cause this time. This is not the fist time I have had wires in the mh get hot I feel it is time caused oxidation of the push on connectors. Also the wire is of a minimal gage size. I would check the control box in the ac unit for signs of over heating befor this happens. Check the wires on the two comp. relays. I would also change the two jumper wires, one on each relay, to a larger gage wire as I feel this is the wires that over heated the most. Hope this helps.
__________________
2001 Horizon 2004 jeep GC
autofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise
 
Sammie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
Yes low voltage will cause this kind of damage I do not think this was the cause this time. This is not the fist time I have had wires in the mh get hot I feel it is time caused oxidation of the push on connectors. Also the wire is of a minimal gage size. I would check the control box in the ac unit for signs of over heating befor this happens. Check the wires on the two comp. relays. I would also change the two jumper wires, one on each relay, to a larger gage wire as I feel this is the wires that over heated the most. Hope this helps.
Good idea! I like preventative maintenance.

Sammie
__________________
2015 Tiffin Bus 37AP
2016 Ford Explorer
"A Job Begun is Half Done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master
 
KIX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
I feel it is time caused oxidation of the push on connectors.
I totally agree with Autofish.
If you feel competent disconnect the shore power.........genset off and disco each push on connector and push it back on. If it feels loose squeeze it tighter with some pliers. If you only do one at a time then a caveman could do it.
__________________
KIX
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner
 
ROMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Thanks Sarge, I do have a Surge suppressor and after hearing that there will be no more basement air units made to fit my rig I would like to learn all I can to preserve the one I have.

Sammie
Replacement basement heatpumps are available at Winnebago and Lichtsinn motors. They use the new freon but can only be used on 50A coaches.
__________________
Gene
MSgt USAF Retired
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C F-53
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise
 
David K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Grayson, GA
Posts: 341
Another thing that will cause the jumper wires on the relays to burn is if the push on connectors are not fully pushed on --- If a little space is left at the bottom, this will allow an arc to occur when the compressor is starting. Over time that will cause the push on connectors to start to melt and eventually will melt / burn the wire into. I just had to replace the jumper wire on my number 1 compressor relay (the insulation had been completely burned off before the wire burned into). I replaced the existing wire with #12 stranded wire which is heavier than the existing wire was -- it looked like a 14 gauge wire. Just make sure the female connectors are well insulated and pushed down all the way -- no room for an arc to happen.
__________________
Dave and Karen -- '02 Ultimate Advantage 36 C, 350 HP Cummins, Allison 3060 Tranny
'13 Ford Edge, InvisiBrake
David K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
dirko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Draper, UT
Posts: 309
Hi Ho: The connectors in question were made originally by Amp and a commonly called quick connects. I had a similar problem on the electric heater element on the water heater. This is also a high current connection. These connectors are made in at least two sizes and WI had used one size on the male end and the other on the female end.

This might not seem like a big deal, but actually resulted in a high resistance connection that came close to starting a fire. Luckily the wire burned through and limited the burned area.

So, the lesson is to be sure that the connectors are the correct ones, are clean, and fully seated. (Or better yet solder and heat shrink the connection) One can always cut the wire to break the connection for future service. It doesn't take much resistance to cause problems when the current is over 10 amps.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet another solenoid bites the dust! John_Canfield Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 116 06-06-2010 12:13 AM
More confusion than ever about DTV converter box, with one more question GG1 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 81 10-16-2008 07:21 PM
One more GNR ?? rental car? Indy Itasca Winnebago Lifestyle 6 05-13-2008 02:52 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×