Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On the Road Repairs?

Seems every time I need someone to look at even the simplest of issues I cant find any shop that I can simply pull up to and get service in a timely manner.

"Yes we can get to you next month or for sure in six week"

Is there such places around the country where a guy can pull in and have someone care about my issues?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

For emergency roadside assistance, I'd say get Coach-net or something similar. For other types of repairs you're probably going to have to wait. Most RV repair shops have more work than they can handle. Some people have good luck with mobile repair techs, but we have never had any experience with them.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
Itasca Owners

Finding good repair shops when on the road is difficult and, as noted, if you find one they have a long wait list before they get to you and the labor rates are very high. I fix and maintain everything myself. You will find that most service manuals are available on the web and there are a lot of U-tube videos that show how to do it. Most parts can be found on Amazon for a lot less than a dealer would charge and most campgrounds will accept deliveries if you ask them first. Sometimes we even call ahead to where we will be in a couple days and have the parts sent there.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes learn how to do your own matinance and minor repairs it's not that hard just takes a little thought
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

It depends on what needs repairing. If it has to do with "house" stuff, it's going to be difficult. It can also be very seasonal. For "truck" issues, most good truck repair shops will be responsive.

I'm pretty much a DIY guy when it comes to house issues.

My experience with fellow RVers is that there's always someone around who's willing to help, at least in terms of troubleshooting an issue or giving advice. So, if you're in an RV park or campground, ask around, it can't hurt.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Over the last 3 years we have had good fortune enlisting the assistance of Mobile repair guys (mostly in AZ but also AL).

We search in the internet and pay close attention to the reviews. We have had a couple who were too busy but in each case they recommended another mobile repair guy who did have the bandwidth.

One time we were on the road to a park in OK and we had some issues with the generator so I called a gentleman who was highly recommended via reviews and handled that park.

Well turns out he leaves OK for the Winter and goes to FL working there. I reached him via his cell phone. After explaining he was in FL, he gave me some things to check out and others to just try once we got to the CG. One of his suggestions did the trick.

I did need to eventually service the generator once I returned but his suggestion got us through the trip. I called him again and offered to send him some money and he indicated no need he was glad he could help.

I have found their rates to be less than the RV Service centers AND they all were willing to explain what they were doing so I could be educated.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I know there are exceptions but, in general, RV dealers are in it for sales, not repairs. Independents' are in business to do repairs. The only time I'd go to a dealer for repairs is for warranty work and, even then, I'd try to get Winnebago to authorize an independent. My rig is a 2002 so warranty work isn't an issue for me.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have Coach-Net as SarahW noted above- they helped us troubleshoot a problem we had with the “house” when we were in N Kentucky and when that wasn’t enough they got us a dealer service appointment the next morning in Cincinnati. Worked like a charm.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs