Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Older or Newer?

I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36DL with 62k miles and I am looking at a 2007 Discovery with 123k miles. I realize that there are alot of factors to consider, but all things being equal, which is better? Older RV with 62k miles or a newer RV with 123k miles?
lwestbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi lwestbro,
Since I do not own either brand I have no bias. It's more than year and miles. The Journey was a Winnie top of the line coach (not sure about 2001). The Discovery? All things being equal is difficult to believe. However, since that is the criteria placed on the decision, for me I'd go with the Journey.

You didn't ask, but I'm going to suggest you consider:
1. 1 hp per 100 lbs of GVWR. Higher than 100 and you'll need patience.
2. CCC = Will the coach carry all your stuff and you?
3. GCWR = Will the coach travel with you, all your stuff and tow the vehicle you want to tow?
4. Floor plan and storage = You'll love or hate the coach for this for a very long time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

Newer will have more slides, more features, better electronics, and upholstery that doesn't look like my grandmas.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

I have to say the journey would be a better choice;; My impression As I was told, The Discovery Motorhome was actully A bounder In the diesel line; All that being said Refering to the amount of miles that coach has been bouncing down the road, I would take the less miles of the 2;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thanks

I realize that some things are going to be better on the newer RV than the older one (ie: exterior paint is in better condition, accessories and equipment are more updated, etc.). My question has to do with how much wear and tear a 2007 Discovery with 123k miles has on it (ie:motor/transmission, chassiss, a/c, generator, etc.) than a 2002 Journey with 62k on it. Again, I realize that there are alot of variables that aren't identified by my posts. Just trying to get a general idea of whether its worth upgrading to the 2007 RV, I paid $55k for my 2002 Journey two years ago and the 2007 Discovery that I'm looking at is $85k. Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In this scenario I would stick with the Journey unless there is a compelling cause for your desire to change. We love our Journey, but perhaps you are dissatisfied with yours.

We might be talked into another coach down the line, but we have not seen anything yet that would have any functionality we don't have now.

I don't think I would go for something with that many miles. I would rather put them on the coach myself.

All the best to you which ever way you go.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
In this scenario I would stick with the Journey unless there is a compelling cause for your desire to change. We love our Journey, but perhaps you are dissatisfied with yours.

We might be talked into another coach down the line, but we have not seen anything yet that would have any functionality we don't have now.

I don't think I would go for something with that many miles. I would rather put them on the coach myself.

All the best to you which ever way you go.
We love our Journey too. Our interest is purely asthetics (ie: newer exterior paint, newer body style, etc.) although the fact that the Discovery is 5 years newer plays some part as well. It sounds like newer isn't necessarilly better if you guys would choose a Journey over a 5 year newer Discovery. Makes me feel better ( and doesn't cost me any money). Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

If I had an 02 DP with 3 or more slides that I knew and was happy with, I wouldn't consider changing, rather I would update as needed.

If that 02 was just plain dated, just one slide, low power isb, just not making me happy, then I would upgrade.

Note that, the only thing better than a 4 slide fiorty footer, is a bath and a half 42 plus
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote