Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi, we've stored our 36G Journey in a garage with a dirt floor for the next 5 months. Is it ok to level it out with the automatic jacks and extend the slideouts for that long of a period?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob
Webtrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I store mine on the jacks with the slides in. However, mine is stored outside. If you are under cover and not subject to snow or ice accumulation on the slides, probably OK to leave them out. But, I'd say it would be better to retract the slides for storage.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I store mine in a heated garage. Minimal heat, plugged into 30 amp. Jacks down and slides out. Also like to keep comparment doors open for easy air access. Have plastic down where tires contact cement floor. Never had any problems. Don't winterize it because I like to get out at least once a month if I can. I do 'bump' jacks occasionally and roll it out and run genny, etc. if I don't get out every month.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I called hwh about the jacks and they said it was ok as long as you worked them once a month. I just bought a new set of tires and heard(dont know if its true but it sounds good to me)to extend jacks to take alot of weight off tires. I dont lift the tires off the ground and I have rubber mats under them and keep them covered.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I figured it would be ok, but wanted to check to make sure. Thanks guys for the quick feedback.

Btw, I see both of you also own Journeys. How do you like yours? Even though we've only had ours for a month (it's an 06), we're really impressed with how well it's designed and built.

Bob
Old 11-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks jdsr. I was thinking it would be good for the refrigerator, tires, and suspension air bags.

Bob
Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Webtrender:
I figured it would be ok, but wanted to check to make sure. Thanks guys for the quick feedback.

Btw, I see both of you also own Journeys. How do you like yours? Even though we've only had ours for a month (it's an 06), we're really impressed with how well it's designed and built.

Bob
We certainly like our Journey. Would love to have a Vectra/Horizon but the Journey more than meets our needs. We bought our's used three years ago and have put 30K miles on it since we got it. There have been some maintenance issues and needs but, overall, it has taken us where we wanted to go in comfort.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jdsr:
I called hwh about the jacks and they said it was ok as long as you worked them once a month. I just bought a new set of tires and heard(dont know if its true but it sounds good to me)to extend jacks to take alot of weight off tires. I dont lift the tires off the ground and I have rubber mats under them and keep them covered.
Paul Smith of HWH gave a seminar at the GNR this summer and said the jacks can be extended on a long-term basis and do not need to be cycled on a periodic basis. The shafts are stainless steel and can sit exposed without a problem. It would however be prudent to wipe off the shafts with a clean rag if they are exposed for months at a time. There is an inner and outer seal that will catch the accumulated crud, but why make them work too hard?

We store ours with the jacks extended until we see the tires loose their bulge on the bottom - at this point we have taken a load off the chassis and bearings (another tip from Paul Smith.)

Slides are in because I don't want the wind to blow the toppers around and it takes less power to keep the coach at an appropriate temperature.

Here is the link to my Paul Smith seminar notes.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Canfield:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
Paul Smith of HWH gave a seminar at the GNR this summer and said the jacks can be extended on a long-term basis and do not need to be cycled on a periodic basis. The shafts are stainless steel and can sit exposed without a problem. It would however be prudent to wipe off the shafts with a clean rag if they are exposed for months at a time. There is an inner and outer seal that will catch the accumulated crud, but why make them work too hard?

We store ours with the jacks extended until we see the tires loose their bulge on the bottom - at this point we have taken a load off the chassis and bearings (another tip from Paul Smith.)

Slides are in because I don't want the wind to blow the toppers around and it takes less power to keep the coach at an appropriate temperature.

Here is the link to my Paul Smith seminar notes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for info. Maybe thats where I read about lifting weight off tires.