Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Oily Residue Clogging Regulator

[FONT="Verdana"]I have the new hose from the recall and since the "new" hose was installed I began to have the problem with an oily residue in the regulator only; clogging the pressure in the propane system. Since there has been no oily residue in the lines or the "canister" which traps oil or in the propane tank itself, I ruled out a bad or contaminated propane fill. It has to be from the new hose to the regulator.

What to do? - One thought is that the pressure builds enough to leach the plasticizers from the new hose and the next "catch" along the way is the regulator. This has only happened after a 6 hour ride to my next site. On the one shorter ride (3 hours with cooler temps) I did not have an issue. In theory most of the plasticizers in the new hose should release during the initial uses and eventually decrease but this depends largely on the hose materials. There are hoses in the market ( nylon-lined) ( stainless steel) that manufacturers claim reduce the contaminants. I spoke to Winnebago about this issue and they said that I could install a copper hose which customers had done before the new hose was ready. I'm thinking that turning the valve off at the tank during a long trip will help with reducing the pressure in the hose and opening it when I arrive. Winnebago asked me to report back if these two steps resolve the problem.

This is occurring in warmer climates - Las Vegas has more incidences than Reno, where I live
Carmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmyne View Post
[FONT="Verdana"]I have the new hose from the recall and since the "new" hose was installed I began to have the problem with an oily residue in the regulator only; clogging the pressure in the propane system. Since there has been no oily residue in the lines or the "canister" which traps oil or in the propane tank itself, I ruled out a bad or contaminated propane fill. It has to be from the new hose to the regulator.
What to do?
This is occurring in warmer climates - Las Vegas has more incidences than Reno, where I live
Carmyne
Try a replacement regulator.... (they only cost $20- $30).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Carmyne
Try a replacement regulator.... (they only cost $20- $30).
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel,
A new regulator definitely clears things up but my service center will be installing my 3rd regulator in 6 months so I want to find another solution before I'm on my 4th!

Carmyne
Carmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I don't believe a hose can cause an oily residue that you describe.
The ONLY source for oily residue in a propane system is the propane itself. You got a fill of product with a high Butane content. That is where your oily (Yellow in color) residue is coming from.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmyne View Post
Mel,
A new regulator definitely clears things up but my service center will be installing my 3rd regulator in 6 months so I want to find another solution before I'm on my 4th!

Carmyne

I have spent some time diagnosing problems on my own 2015 Reyo regarding low temperature propane failure and the collection of oil in the regulator and lower lines. The two problems are not related, but I did not know that at the time.

I have just uploaded a file to this forums file section called Reyo propane research annotated,

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=187

and it explains in detail what I found. The parts that are my conclusions based on observation are obvious as are those parts that are just opinion. The remainder is annotated with links to the source(s).

On another forum, several of us have used the techniques and methods outlined with success.

You are well on your way, proving that a remedy thru conventional means, is not going to happen.

In a nutshell: If one continues to buy dirty propane, the problems will continue. One can "harden" the system to better deal with the oils but no matter what changes are made, the oil must be drained on a regular basis, determined by the amount being collected. There is NO filter in the system to filter out the oil nor can one be installed that will.

Phil
PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOUZA View Post
I have spent some time diagnosing problems on my own 2015 Reyo regarding low temperature propane failure and the collection of oil in the regulator and lower lines. The two problems are not related, but I did not know that at the time.

I have just uploaded a file to this forums file section called Reyo propane research annotated,

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=187

and it explains in detail what I found. The parts that are my conclusions based on observation are obvious as are those parts that are just opinion. The remainder is annotated with links to the source(s).

On another forum, several of us have used the techniques and methods outlined with success.

You are well on your way, proving that a remedy thru conventional means, is not going to happen.

In a nutshell: If one continues to buy dirty propane, the problems will continue. One can "harden" the system to better deal with the oils but no matter what changes are made, the oil must be drained on a regular basis, determined by the amount being collected. There is NO filter in the system to filter out the oil nor can one be installed that will.

Phil
Phil, Thank you for your work and dissertation on the LP problems in Winnebagos. Now on my third regulator having replaced the last one within an hour or two of operation AFTER having the mandated hose replacement/upgrade.

I'd be about 98% certain that the 'oiling' of my regulators is not due to bad product. My LP sells a boat load of the stuff. Although the 'wrenches' at my local RV dealer mentioned about a week ago that the cause was likely do to the material used in the hoses, I'll accept that with a bit of skepticism.

Like many other problems, this one will likely go away and we'll not really know the cause.

I'd be interested in the design of the 'drainable' trap you mentioned.

Thanks again!!!

It's always good to see a collaborative effort in problem solving!!!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Phil, Thank you for your work and dissertation on the LP problems in Winnebagos. Now on my third regulator having replaced the last one within an hour or two of operation AFTER having the mandated hose replacement/upgrade.

I'd be about 98% certain that the 'oiling' of my regulators is not due to bad product. My LP sells a boat load of the stuff. Although the 'wrenches' at my local RV dealer mentioned about a week ago that the cause was likely do to the material used in the hoses, I'll accept that with a bit of skepticism.

Like many other problems, this one will likely go away and we'll not really know the cause.

Thanks again!!!

It's always good to see a collaborative effort in problem solving!!!

I can assure you this is Not a Winnebago hose problem. Hoses do not create oil. Look to your Propane supplier.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post

!

Both heavy end contamination and leaching liquid from some rubber hose products is fact.

Contamination from LP suppliers is relatively common but certainly not universal and may be regional in nature because of the distribution system. Some people never see it. Ever. Some can't seem to avoid it.

I received a dirty load and knew it while it was being pumped. A leaky fitting at the pump was spewing vapor and a liquid that collected as a small puddle on the concrete. I later collected some from my low pressure line in the motor home. The oil never caused any problem and soon disappeared after the next load. (at another dealer).

The subject of oil leached from the hose is more entertaining. By nature it will be self limiting. As the oil is removed from the hose, the hose will shrink slightly and become stiff. Sound familiar? Recall maybe?

I personally do not believe that the oil we see and complain about is from the hoses. Unfortunately the average RV owner is not able to utilize scientific methods and the anecdotal information we get is not very useful.

Currently I am running new hoses supplied by a LPG jobber, not by Winnebago, and after 4 months of use NO oil has materialized in my system. What can be gleaned by this is. Not all hoses will decompose and drop oil. Mine do not. My last two loads of LPG were clean.

As to draining the condensate, the lowest point of the low pressure line will collect the most oil. On my Reyo 25Q, that point coincides with the hose coupling to the black iron pipe at the left lower corner of the bay that allows access to the propane fill and sewer dump line. A simple petcock at that point would be superior to just cracking the flare fitting, which is what I do now.

Again common sense and Occam's Razor (look it up) says that far more people are buying contaminated propane than are dissolving their hoses.

Phil
PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:47 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Phil. Occams Razor! Spor on!
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote