Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Oil filter for Cat 3126e

Is there a suitable substitute? Been using only Cat filters so far, but dont want to drive the 60 miles to the Cat dealer. Napa store 1 mile away.
Thanks, Doug. 2003 Journey DL. 330 Cat
p00ches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Baldwin, Donaldson, and Alliance (Freightliner) among others, all have filters that "fit" your engine. How they compare might be a different issue.

The only problem that I had with my old 3126 was an oil leak at the filter adapter to block. I happened to have a Baldwin filter at the time. Not directly connected, but who knows?
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #3

Truckers I've talked to all have different opinions as this old thread in a truckers forum I've had bookmarked for a long time kind of illustrates:

Are Cat filters worth the $???

I'm one who subscribes to the theory of using one of the name-brand filters and changing them often. I'm not sure if CAT branded filters are worth the extra money or not as there seems to be a lot of varying information out there.

I've got a Hastings on mine right now. One post in that thread says that Donaldson makes CAT filters but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I stick with the engine manufacturers filters. If there's a problem it's one less thing they can point their fingers at. Even after they're out of warranty I continue to do the same. Filters and oil are cheap compared to a rebuild.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I order from rvchassisparts.com for all my filters. they come like lightning too.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The cat dealer could ship it to you for a few bucks more. Cheaper than 120 mile round trip. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Cat Filters

I have worked on many 3126 3116 and cummins over the last 25 years. I like to run the factory filters when I can. But there are alot of alternitives. Napa is a good filter. Built by Wix Also carquest filters are built by wix. Baldwin is also a great filter. Just buy a premuim filter. There are meany levels of the same filter. Some are just built better. Keep the oil changed with a good oil and do it often. On fuel filters I also like to run the factory ones but I also like alliance and racor also Baldwin. Well I hope this helps. Good luck on your project.
lilblueduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D
I stick with the engine manufacturers filters. If there's a problem it's one less thing they can point their fingers at. Even after they're out of warranty I continue to do the same. Filters and oil are cheap compared to a rebuild.
This is my sentiment exactly. You can buy a OEM filter or save $15 per annual oil change by buying a Billy Bob filter. I also do an annual oil sample test so I will know if anything bad is happening.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I've had good luck ordering from these guys:

PN: 1R-1807 - Caterpillar Oil Filter - Advanced High Efficiency, Cat Oil Filters, Cat Filters, Cat Oil Filter, Caterpillar Filters, Caterpillar Oil Filters, Caterpillar Oil Filter

Reasonable price and quick service. I got Cat oil and both fuel filters from them.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Smile Oil Filter for Cat 3136e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
I've had good luck ordering from these guys:

PN: 1R-1807 - Caterpillar Oil Filter - Advanced High Efficiency, Cat Oil Filters, Cat Filters, Cat Oil Filter, Caterpillar Filters, Caterpillar Oil Filters, Caterpillar Oil Filter

Reasonable price and quick service. I got Cat oil and both fuel filters from them.
Thanks gfs1943, Ordered 1R-1807's from that site. Got two plus shipping for slightly more than my NAPA store quoted me for their best filter. Saved a 60 mile drive to boot. Great Advice
........Doug 2003 Journey DL, 330 Cat
p00ches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #11

Cat Filters

Like others have said: it is not worth the risk to use anything other than a Cat filter on a cat. I apply the same logic to all of my engines. Ford, Honda, Cummins, and Cat.

Hate hate hate Fram. Want to hate them too? Take one apart sometime.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

My two Cents

I only have a certified Cat dealer make any repairs to our 2000 winn UA 40J, I use Quinn Cat in Selma CA, Oil, Filter, Both Fuel filters lube all fittings and a general inspection for $240.00 out the door or you could use some yahoo for $60.00 plus an hr to work on your rig I myself need the piece of mind when I'm going down the road and yes the labor rate at Quinn is $100.00 per hr. but they did the work in an hr instead of jerking you around like some many other repair shops. When I first purchased the 40J I had a local RV shop do the same as above and a oil change on the generator is was $740 and all day I learned my lesson the hard way have a certified Cat dealer make repairs it may look like alot at the time but cheaper in the long run.
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Think of this as such.Use cat filters for a cat. Believe it or not,they are Cheaper than Fleetgard and the rest of them. I had one and I have a towing business and my Flatbed has a Cat in it. The filtration is second to none. I believe in them.
suncruisers2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat