Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Oil Change F53 Ford chassis tip

If you don't change your own oil, this post isn't for you.

I thought I'd share a tip to make the F53 chassis oil changes a little less messy and easier.

If you have changed the oil in an F53, you know how the drain plug is located right above the front axle. I will drip all over the axle if you simple pull the plug. The same goes for the oil filter, right above the axle.

So about 18yrs ago with my first Ford F53 RV (Pace Arrow) I made a trough out of an old aluminum mail box. With tin snips I cut the mail box in half, lengthwise, and it has worked like a champ ever since. Just place the trough below the drain plug and it will guide the oil to the oil plan at the end of the trough. The trough will balance pretty good on the axle. While pulling the plug, when I get to the last couple threads of the plug, I will hold the trough with one hand and pull the plug with the other. I have a similar process with the oil filter. With practice you won't get a drop on the ground, and save a lot of paper towels in the process.

This trough continues to work good on my new 2018 Vista 32YE, actually even better.

Below are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sshot-1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	170887   Click image for larger version

Name:	trough.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	170889  

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil pan.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	170890  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Ingenious. That said have you seen the Fumoto valves? That makes the change super easy. Where I have an issue is with the filter itself.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Ingenious. That said have you seen the Fumoto valves? That makes the change super easy. Where I have an issue is with the filter itself.
I thought about using one of those, but I prefer to see the magnet on the plug each time I pull it out. This helps to assure me everything is premo. I bought another plug with a strong magnet.

Tom S.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Using a plastic grocery bag around the filter can help with the mess. But as mentioned it takes practice.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Using a plastic grocery bag around the filter can help with the mess. But as mentioned it takes practice.
That's a good tip, I like it.

I usually unscrew the filter enough to see oil run out into the trough and down into the oil pan. I will let that drain for 30min while I'm doing other stuff. When the oil has slowed down to a droplet volume, I will take the filter off the rest of the way with latex gloves and pour most of the filter contents into the trough, then move the filter over the trough, down to the oil pan, sitting upside down to continue draining. This takes practice to minimize spills.

I'm going to try the bag next time and see if that's easier, after I get to the droplet stage.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I like the Fumoto Valve I installed. Since I rarely have more than 5K miles between oil changes, the little bit left in the pan doesn't worry me. I never saw anything on the magnet, either. I use a gallon Ziplock bag for the oil filter.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I like the Fumoto Valve I installed. Since I rarely have more than 5K miles between oil changes, the little bit left in the pan doesn't worry me.
Love the Fumoto valve. Been using it for two years.
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Itasca owner

I bought this one instead of the Fumoto, cheaper and has a locking handle so it can't open on its own. I haven't installed it yet, waiting for the next oil change. I'll put a short piece of tubing on the end to divert it to a pan. I like the bag-over-the-filter trick, haven't used that one but I will. I've been taking a long phillips and punching a hole in the filter, then let it drain for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/DEF-F-106N-En.../dp/B01N2MDEQX
Old 01-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'm very happy with my Fumoto valve.

For the filter, I've found that my oil pan will sit on top of the axle.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Fumoto

I also use the Fumoto valve...Love it! I'm still working on the filter side mess though. I'll keep these ideas in mind when I do an oil change, Chassis lube, and Brake pad inspection next week!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I did basicly the same thing , only I used a paint roller tray and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in one corner. I can hook the tray to the cross bars to free up both hands.
flarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarick View Post
I did basicly the same thing , only I used a paint roller tray and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in one corner. I can hook the tray to the cross bars to free up both hands.
I really like this idea..I have been using the base of a 5 gal plastic bucket with a hole drilled in the bottom, but I think I will experiment with the paint roller tray next time...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I put a 1” rare earth magnet on the bottom of the filter. That will pull any metal out of the oil as it passes through. An old racing custom.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, chassis, f53