Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Odometer Failure

My odometer suddenly read 300+ miles when the actual reading should be about 105,000. This same situation occurred about 50,000 ago. The engine computer apparently has the correct mileage in it. When the first failure occurred Winnebago took the mileage out of the computer and I adjusted for that difference from that point to the second failure. Now Good Sam extended service wants an official printout from Freightliner to show the actual mileage.I keep a very detailed travel log which includes mileage and Good Sam accepted my log this time but I need an official printout for the future. Winnebago and Freightliner both have stated that it is illegal for them to adjust the odometer. Have others had this problem and if so any solutions?
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Several posts on this issue in the Freightliner Owners forums.
The laws regarding , supplying new speedo with corrected mileage are changing all the time ; so Winni and Freightliner are aware of the governments current policy.

There may be some info in this post , on your issue.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/i-hav...is-210825.html
Old 06-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
My odometer suddenly read 300+ miles when the actual reading should be about 105,000. This same situation occurred about 50,000 ago. The engine computer apparently has the correct mileage in it. When the first failure occurred Winnebago took the mileage out of the computer and I adjusted for that difference from that point to the second failure. Now Good Sam extended service wants an official printout from Freightliner to show the actual mileage.I keep a very detailed travel log which includes mileage and Good Sam accepted my log this time but I need an official printout for the future. Winnebago and Freightliner both have stated that it is illegal for them to adjust the odometer. Have others had this problem and if so any solutions?
Hi Ralph,

This is a common problem on your vintage Freightliner chassis coach. Petro on this forum had the same problem with pretty much the same coach you have, and did not get any good satisfaction from Freightliner. But as a previous poster has stated, it's worth calling FL to ask them if there are any new updates for this problem. 1-800-FTL-HELP. I also recommend swinging thru Gaffney on your travels for your chassis service. You can then face them down on this problem!

I will miss seeing you in Caledonia this year.

Happy travels!
Don
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ralph;

Pusherman is correct. About 3 years ago my odometer dropped 52189 miles. I called Freightliner and they toled me I can get the true engine miles off my MMDC which I did. They told me it would likely not happen again. They also told me they can't mess with the odometer as it is against Federal Law to change miles on the odometer. If they were to sell me a new odometer it would also have to start out at 0.

It is common with our model years I was told on officially because there is insufficient memory in the computer. When the memory fills up for whatever reason the computer sheds the miles to make more room.

I wrote the incident up on what I was told by Freightliner. I put it in a sheet protector and keep it in my bag of manuals. I had an extended warranty claim shortly after that and I was quizzed by the adjuster on what gives? Your miles are not correct someone set the odometer back. I showed him my write up. The adjuster made a couple of phone calls and had no more questions and approved my claim.

My advice is take a sheet of paper. Put the date of your problem on the top. IF you have a call Freightliner and if you have an MMDC they will tell you how to get to the screen that gives the engine miles and the present odometer miles. Subtract the odometer miles from the engine miles. That difference is the miles your odometer dropped. If you don't have a MMDC any Freightliner or Cat shop should be able to pull the actual engine miles. The difference between that and your odometer is what is lost.

When ever I have my coach serviced I make sure they put the actual engine miles on the work order.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Don,
We most certainly do miss you and your excellent crew in Caledonia. Best of luck with whatever your current venture is.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Odometer Failure

I'm currently here in Gaffney, SC at the Freightliner Service Center. They did the ECM printout my extended warranty people requested. It cost me $100. Freightliner also gave me the password so I can access the necessary information from my Trip Tech. They confirmed that they can not correct the odometer.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had the same situation, contacted Freightliner they provided me with a passcode to access the information. Just had my coach in some minor repairs and used that reading to verify my mileage for insurance purposes..
Otherwise I have a very low mileage coach. LOL
Old 09-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had the same issue. I purchased the silver leaf system and installed it and now see the miles every time we start it if we have the silver leaf system turned on. Not a cheap fix but the system provides a lot of information as well.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

In case someone finds this via a search (Google or otherwise) in the future, I called Freightliner support and they now have determined (confirmed with the tech on the phone) the following:

1) The MMDC for these affected chassis/units reset the dash odometer to 0 (zero) miles EACH time the odometer hits 50k miles
2) The process for obtaining the actual ECM based mileage vs the dash without any scanning tools is:

(this applies to coaches with the black/charcoal information panel with the "T" - "Red Dot" - "H" on the left and "Up Arrow" - "E" - "Down Arrow" on the left design; unsure of others....call Freightliner )

Turn the key to the Run position
Using the information center buttons (I had to start the engine and wait for the air bags to come to min pressure before I could get beyond the low air pressure alarms)
Hit the Home button ("H")
Highlight "Service" and hit Enter ("E")
Highlight "Diagnostics" and hit Enter ("E")
Password is always "8127"
Hit the "Up Arrow" TWICE on the "I/O Screen" to see the "ECU VS IP ODO DIFF" screen
Top number is the ECU mileage
Bottom number is the dash odometer mileage

Again, HTH someone - happy travels 8)

-Patrick