Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

OBD Reader / Smartphone readout

There is some suspicion of the gauge accuracy in many motorhomes.

So, I bought an OBD Reader off of EBay ($7) and plugged it into the OBD connection by the steering wheel. I next set up my smartphone to read the OBD output using the Torque App., bluetooth ON.
I am able to pick up the ACTUAL water temp. Haven't been able to get Voltage yet, but may go to the Torque Pro App and see what happens. There are also many other outputs that DO read on my phone, altitude, speed, trip miles, mpg,etc. depends on how you set up your screen.

If anyone else has tried this, please let us know.
This is a new toy to me and I'm still experimenting.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

winnie32v, Which reader did you get?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
winnie32v, Which reader did you get?
Try this link....

Mini VGate Scan ELM327 Bluetooth OBD OBD2 V1.5 OBDII Auto Torque Scanner tool
Old 10-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hi I have both torque and torque pro. Not used in the rv yet but in my Toyota 4Runner and my TDi beetle. Have have good and not experience with the app. Would I steer someone away from it, NO. Would I say dont pin all your hopes on it, yes. I have found it to be useful and a toy, fun to watch hp, rpm, temps etc. Some systems report and some dont, thats not the apps fault its what is available through the ECU. So in summary I, would spend the few bucks on the pro version as it does more. But thats just me. If you do pullbthe trigger spend the time creating a good profile, you will need certain info , weight displacement fuel tank size etc etc to help get the best from it.

Njoi
nij_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have the ELM327 OBDII interface and use the Dash Command app on my Iphone, it was only $10. I have not tried to mess with it in my RV yet, but have used it with great success in my 04 Wrangler and 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It's a great alternative to an expensive scan tool and will do live monitoring.

mac 'imonitor' gyvr
Old 10-13-2014, 05:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
I have the ELM327 OBDII interface and use the Dash Command app on my Iphone, it was only $10. I have not tried to mess with it in my RV yet, but have used it with great success in my 04 Wrangler and 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It's a great alternative to an expensive scan tool and will do live monitoring.

mac 'imonitor' gyvr
I just looked at Dashcommand and am going to try it today.
I've been using Torque free so far.
Let me know what you can read when you hook it up to your Winnebago.
We have very similar units and am wondering what info your computer will send through the OBD Reader. The only readout that I was getting was the Coolant Temp. Didn't pick up Voltage....don't know why...this is a pretty basic system parameter.

I will have this hooked up when we leave for Fla. next month.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
I just looked at Dashcommand and am going to try it today.
I've been using Torque free so far.
Let me know what you can read when you hook it up to your Winnebago.
We have very similar units and am wondering what info your computer will send through the OBD Reader. The only readout that I was getting was the Coolant Temp. Didn't pick up Voltage....don't know why...this is a pretty basic system parameter.

I will have this hooked up when we leave for Fla. next month.
Thanks,
Paul
And because I haven't looked yet and only owned my coach for a couple weeks, is the ODBII interface in the dash area of the coach like in cars, or is it hidden somewhere else?

I'll let you know what I find out, at least by the end of the month, we have one last trip for the year planned.

Eventually I want to get an ipad and mount it on the dash so I can really watch what is going on, instead of just on my phone.

mac 'can't monitor too much' gyvr
Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
And because I haven't looked yet and only owned my coach for a couple weeks, is the ODBII interface in the dash area of the coach like in cars, or is it hidden somewhere else?

I'll let you know what I find out, at least by the end of the month, we have one last trip for the year planned.

Eventually I want to get an ipad and mount it on the dash so I can really watch what is going on, instead of just on my phone.

mac 'can't monitor too much' gyvr
Using a mirror and a flashlight, look up under the dash, on the right side of the steering column. You should be able to locate the OBD II plug, facing down.
Mine requires some dexterity to hook up.

That is why I purchased an extension with two plugs so I could hook it up and have two connections that I could easily get to. I have it installed and will leave it there permanently.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
That is why I purchased an extension with two plugs so I could hook it up and have two connections that I could easily get to. I have it installed and will leave it there permanently.
Where did you get the extension from?
nij_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
Where did you get the extension from?
EBay for $7.70.

Here is the recent link:

30cm OBD2 OBD II Splitter Extension Y J1962 Cable Male to Dual Female | eBay

Price has been revised to $10.00 ????? Maybe search for others at a lower price.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Bought an extension off of Amazon.

Have a trip this weekend (no trailer) and next weekend (w/jeep on trailer), hope to do some monitoring.

mac 'hope to find it under the dash' gyvr
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I purchased a similar inexpensive OBDII connector off Amazon and am using the DashCommand app on an old iPhone (since July 2014). I like the interface for DashCommand and have had no problems getting it to connect to the interface.

In the vehicles I've tried it in (2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali and 2009 Saturn Outlook XR) it works perfectly. The numbers in DashCommand match up to the display in the vehicle itself, plus all of the extra metrics I now have access to.

In the motorhome however, not even close. Before purchasing the app I did contact their support and ask if it supported the Ford F53 as it wasn't listed at the time. They responded "it should" as long as it had a standard OBDII connector, which it does.

We have a 2014 Georgetown 351DS on the Ford F53 chassis. The onboard computer provides little information to compare to - mileage, trip mileage and miles to empty. I was specifically interested in MPG. DashCommand starts out telling me I'm getting some 1,000 MPG! Woo hoo! But then that number keeps dropping until it gets to zero. Most of the metrics are blank for me, other than speed which does seem accurate.

To be fair, I've not gone back to the DashCommand team to inquire, or check for an update lately, so I'm interested in other's experiences and I will take the time to update the app and try it again in the motorhome. I purchased this over a ScanGuage because of the extra features and since I had an old iPhone laying around, so I am hopeful that it will in fact work correctly with the Ford F53 and provide accurate metrics.

Tom

5 kids, 2 dogs and an amazing wife!!
OnDaRox is offline   Reply With Quote